1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hold and Look Points (esp. Jordan Chart)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I just finished Frank Hoppe's column in the Nov. 2007 Trap & Field, "Plan for Success." Frank enforces that the target should be seen before the gun movement is started. This theme is also in Kiner's video, where he shows the eyes moving to the target and then the gun moves to catch up with the eyes.

Frank also says to practice mounting the gun, looking at something in the distance, and smoothly moving the gun to that target. Good practice, and it's a lot of what the Jordan Wall Chart is about.

I am a right handed shooter. When I mount the gun just about level on the chart, and make my look point a little higher than that, I can see all the targets on the right side of the chart by moving my eyes only. I cannot see the upper left and far left targets clearly. For my practice, I can look at the right hand targets before I make a move, and then move to them. For the left hand birds, I pretend I see the target move left, and then move the gun to follow the target before I can focus on the target itself.

Is this normal for a right handed shooter? I can hold my head more upright and square to the chart, but I still have trouble seeing the left hand targets clearly before I move the gun.

Danny

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Danny.....Many will disagree with me, but I switched to a much higher hold point over the house and my shooting results greatly improved.I had to move the gun much less. As far as a "look point", there really isn't one, not if you use Soft Focus as many shooters do.You're really not looking "at" anything.....just out beyond the muzzel.That system enables you to pick up the target quicker because you're not concentrating on anything in particular in the distance.It works!

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Danny,

Sounds like you have a vision problem. Go to the eye doctor for a checkup. HMB

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

My biggest problem is thinking about stuff like that instead of thinking about shooting the bird. Jake

5. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

HMB,

Reread my post. I can't see the left targets clearly by moving my eyes only with my cheek still firmly mounted on the stock. I can't roll my eyes that far left. It's a mount issue and question, and has nothing to do with eye exams. If you have the wall chart, try it and see. Next time you're at the range, and there's an empty space on a squad, mount an empty gun and see how far left and right you can focus on the targets without moving from the mounted position.

Jake,

It's for correct practice, has nothing to do with shooting, per se. I don't want to practice an incorrect mount, if that's the problem.

Danny

6. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Danny just move further away from the chart. Terry.

7. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Terry,

At 13 ft, which simulates 16 yards, can you see the far left hand birds moving only your eyes from a station 3 mount?

Danny

8. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Hi Danny.

I can on the right side of the chart but you need to be a couple feet back to see the left side good, a left hander would be the reverse. I do most of my dry firing from about 16 feet back from the chart or further. I never really practice 16 yards much on the chart, I will go that close for my doubles drill.

Terry.

9. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Thanks, Terry.

Therefore, but not necessarily because of this, my mount might be ok.

If everyone using a good mount from 13 ft. could see the left hand birds, then my mount was probably bad. That was what I was looking for.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

look points for trap