1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOGWASH

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Jul 5, 2013.

1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have always been led to believe that a 32" SBT gun would be the wrong choice for a big guy, that a 34" barrel would be better. I have also read, mostly on this site, that the Browning recoil reducing device is junk. Likewise for screw in chokes and porting.

I say HOGWASH.

I recently aquired a like new BT-99 Plus with 32" bbl, Inv+ chokes, and factory porting. I adjusted the 4-way comb and installed a tapered pitch spacer and then took it for a test run. WOW!!!. On the first shot it seemed like the gun did not fire but the bird broke. Same with the next shot. That Browning recoil reducer seemed to work better than the PFS I have on an old Ljutic. Recoil was the softest I can remember shooting, EVER. I had a MOD choke tube installed and it would boil targets. No 7 1/2 or 8's controversy here as I was using reloads loaded with reclaimed shot (mixed 7 1/2 thru 9) at 1185 fps. I went on to break 49 X 50. Could this be the singles gun I have been searching for?? I then shot an ATA BIG 50 HC event. Installed a FULL choke and shot new STS shells. From the 27 yard line I broke 23 X 25 and 25 X 25 for a registered 48 X 50. This was the first singles and HC targets I had ever shot with this gun. I was in love.

This gun is completely different in feel and swing charactistics than my normal gun, a Ljutic Pro 3 LTX. The faster swing of the BT did not seem to be a problem. Time will tell if it replaces my Ljutic, but I doubt it will as once in a while the Ljutic displays it's bloodlines.

I guess what I am trying to say is: Do not be talked out of a gun because others do not feel it is right, shoot it and make up your own mind. Had I have listened to all the nay-sayers I would have missed out on a wonderfull Browning experience. Marc

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Marc- its the honeymoon, not the marriage--you've seen me run a straight with a gun I've never shot before. Maybe its the dynamics of a lighter gun---heavy guns tire us seniors out.

Phil Berkowitz

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The Plus guns are some of all-time bargains in the trapshooting world. I used to jokingly say, "It's sorta like buying a Precision Fit Stock that has a free shotgun attached to it!". (adjustments, recoil reducer, about $1200, - plus an adjustable rib, porting, choke tubes and a backbored barrel - 0.742") ;-)

Good luck with yours.

Bob Falfa

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Thats subjective at best, wait until the shine wears off ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. luvtrapguns

WOW, A lot of BUZZ KILL going on here this AM. Bob has it right, lots of gun for the money.

Phil, If you have run straights with a new to you gun you should have stayed with it. I don't remember the Infinity being that kind to you. LOL

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

New Gun Concentration. Wish I could bottle it. Hope it stays with you. Jeff

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you can run straights with a Mossberg Pump-------buy it. If it tastes good eat it. If the gun works for you shoot it. It's never the price of the gun, it's how effective you are shooting it. Big buck guns don't make anyone a great shooter. Just ask Daro Handy with his 1100's, or Phil Ross with his old Model 12. Those guys were real money shooters when there was real money to be made.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

New gun concentration, I agree. Give it some time. Confidence is very crucial for concentration. Form and fit however, will be close to the same in the future. You can't go wrong with a Browning, for the money.

9. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

Marc,
    I've shot your gun at the club. I have to say I was surprised with the lack of recoil compared to your ljutic that I had previously shot a few weeks earlier. After scoring for you when you smoked a 25 straight from the back fence during a big 50 event and ending with a 49 I think you've found your new gun to be a winner! Btw the shell I gave you to replace the factory shell that was defective was one of my 1 ounce loads (reclaimed shot) not a 1 1/8 that you asked for! Keep smokin em!

10. luvtrapguns

It's more than new gun concetration. I'll be the first to admit that new gun concentration is real and not fiction. However very rarely you will pick up a gun and it feels "right". New gun concentration will not help you center and smoke the first few birds. Concentration will allow you to adjust to the way the gun shoots but usually only after a few shots have been taken so that you can adjust. From the very first shot this gun shot right where I was looking without having to compensate for anything, such as shoots too high or too low. Plus the almost total lack of felt recoil was almost spooky.

I'll admit to being somewhat of a gun "snob". More expensive and shot by the big dogs must be a better gun, right?? Wrong!!! I have owned and shot most of the "prestige" guns and liked them all, mostly. Will I replace my present shooter, a really nice Pro 3 LTX with this BT+? Not likely. We have spent about two years getting to know each other and get along quite well as long as I remember to adapt to her quirks.

My point simply put is I like the BT-99+. I pick up and shoot a lot of guns that are new to me, at least a dozen a year. After more than 40 years I have never shot a new to me gun that felt as good as this one. I have always felt that the BT series of guns were/are some of the best values in trapshooting. This gun only reinforces that opinion. I'm not saying this is the best gun anyone could shoot and everyone should have one. More simply, do not praise or condemn a gun based on HOGWASH. Try a gun, like it, perhaps that is the one you should buy. Marc

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

And the Citori Pluses would complete your love affair...they kick even softer than the BT thanks to the weight

12. luvtrapguns

CalvinMD, Tried a friends Citori Plus. Not for me. Marc

13. mich746

mich746 Member

By adjusting the comb and installing a tapered pitch spacer it sounds like you know something about gun fitting, which we all know is a huge part of the game.

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Marc, has forgotten more about shotguns, especially Ljutics, than a lot of people combined. He's an excellant shooter and a really nice person.Phil Berkowitz

15. luvtrapguns

Phil, Thanks. I would like to have been able to make it over to RR for the weekend shoot but will not be able to make it. I will come to SD for the Zone shoot. Blood pressure meds giving me problems so I guess it's time to lose some weight and exercise. Glad to hear your game is coming around. Any word on the new combo yet? Marc

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Barrel length is mostly fad. Think about it -- if you closed your eyes and someone put an unfamiliar gun in your hands and you mounted it before opening your eyes, could you really tell if that extra 2" was there? Does the missing 2" really make a difference, other than in your imagination? Could you truly FEEL the difference? I mean -- FOR THE LOVE OF GOD -- should the value and amazing performance of an otherwise wonderful and effective weapon be discounted because of 2 damn inches?! Just mount it and see how it feels!!!!

I used this convincing argument on my honeymoon and it's been working for me ever since.

-Gary :p

17. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I have been shooting my Guerini 34" Maxum unsingle for about a year. For kicks I pulled out my BT-99 Plus 32" (has a Timney replacement recoil device in the stock and a pad adjuster) and immediately ran 25.
    Great gun. I'll never sell it.