1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF Trustee Dr. H. Lynn Parsons Passes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave Berlet, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

It is with a sad heart that I have to report the passing of my good friend Dr. Lynn Parsons.

Lynn left us at 2:04 AM May 11, 2012 from complications from surgery.

The shooters and also the National Trapshooting Hall of Fame have lost a great friend and ambasador.

Dave

2. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Son of the legendary Winchester shooter, Herb Parsons. Sad to hear.

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I met Lynn at the Cardinal Center 2 years ago, great man.I am so sad to hear of his passing...

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I've been trying to get this message out to the TS.com family all day. Switched computers and couldn't remember my password. I was informed by his staff a little after 8 this AM. Not a great way to start Fri. morning. I work in the same building with Dr. Lynn and spoke with him often. Hadn't shot with him for a few years but we harassed each other on a regular basis. I agree with Dave that the trapshooting family has lost a great soul. I as many others will miss him greatly. My sincere condolences to his daughter and brother.

JB=Jerry Beach

Logan Co. Fish & Game Assn.

Bellefontaine Ohio

PS I will forward services info as I become aware of them.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My condolonces to the Parsons family.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Mr Berlet,

We were lucky enough to meet Mr Lynn Parsons in person at the ATA-HOF last August between the Grand and the Cardinal Classic.

We were on our way to the Cardinal and decided to visit the HOF again (last visit was 2004) and were lucky enough to visit at the same time as Mr Parsons, I had watched his dad's video time and time again at the HOF and we felt priviledged to have met such a wonderful man, it was extra special as we were visiting all the way from Australia.

For those who did not know Mr Parsons he is on the front left with Kenny-Ray Estes (Museum Director) on the front right.

It was a wonderful couple of hours we spent with Mr Parsons and Kenny-Ray, RIP Mr Lynn Parsons.

Respectfully.........Gary Kennerson 96 05145.

[​IMG]

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Lynn was a good man. He was the "little boy" that came out of the crowd and shot targets with Herb Parsons, his dad, in the Showman Shooter video.

8. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

[​IMG]

I have to be one of the luckiest people on earth to have had Lynn and Kenny Ray as friends. I have now lost Lynn. Lynn's humor was unbelievable, and stories of traveling with his Dad to exhibitions were precious.

Lynn is pictured here with me on the left and Kenny Ray on the right, and he called this picture "The Three Amigos". He has his legendary belt buckle on which he had made with with an Ad Topperwien coin, along with one of his Daddy Herb's coins both with holes in them. He was very proud of that buckle.

Rest in peace my friend, we will miss you.

Dave in SC

Lynn's obituary is below.

Herbert Lynn Parsons, M.D, 69, passed away in the comfort of his home in Bellefontaine, Ohio, on May 11, 2012. He was born to Oneita Montgomery Parsons and Joel Herbert Parsons of Somerville Tennessee on December 23, 1942.
    After graduating a valedictorian of the 1961 class of Fayette County High School in his hometown of Somerville, TN, he graduated cum laude from Southwestern at Memphis (Rhodes University). Dr. Lynn Parsons was a 1969 graduate of the Tulane School of Medicine. Major Parsons then served in the military as Chief of Surgery and Chief of Hospital Services at the United States Air Force Hospital of the Air Training Command in Columbus, Mississippi. Dr. Parsons was a general surgeon certified by the American Board of Surgery and a Fellow of The American College of Surgeons and a member of numerous surgical societies. He practiced surgery in Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Ohio and worked at Mary Rutan Hospital in Bellefontaine, Ohio, up until the time of his death.
    Dr. Parsons is a Life Member of The Amateur Trapshooting Association and enjoyed clay target shooting (trap, skeet and sporting clays), hunting and tennis. He committed much of his time to preserving the memory and legacy of his late father (www.showmanshooter.com) who was one of the greatest exhibition shooters of all time.
    Lynn is survived by his beloved daughters, Diana Lynn Parsons of Iron Station, NC and Melissa Parsons Healy (John Healy) of Charlottesville, VA; his twin grandsons Thatcher William Healy and Duncan Joseph Healy of Charlottesville, VA; his former wife and friend Charlotte Parsons of Wapakoneta, OH; and his brother Jerry Parsons (Carolyn Tapp Parsons) of San Antonio, TX. He also leaves behind several cousins and a host of friends and colleagues who played very important roles in his life.
    Funeral arrangements are being handled by Peebles Funeral Home in Somerville, TN. Visitation will be held from 1:00 – 2:00 PM on Tuesday, May 15th at the funeral home; a graveside service will follow at Somerville Cemetery at 2:30 PM. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you consider making a donation in his memory to the Trapshooting Hall of Fame, P.O. Box 281, Vandalia, Ohio, 45377.

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

My contact with Dr. Lynn was years ago when I told him I had 8mm color movies of a show Herb had presented at our Hiyu Indian Shoot at Hayden Lake, ID in 1947. The film was taken by my dad and was the only photo record of Herb displaying and shooting a revolver pistol.

Lynn asked for the film and intended to include it with the Showman Shooter tapes he was selling. I sent it to him and he sent me a copy of his tapes, by way of thanks. I wonder if he did include the pistol footage?

My condolences to the family.

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Buy the video to find out. It is one great video. The book, Showman Shooter is as interesting as the video.

11. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Here is a nice picture of Lynn, Herb and Jerry.

12. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

I shot with Lynn when he was practicing out of Defiance, OH. We were at Williams County shooting skeet and talking. He would tell some about his dad and shooting with his dad. He said the "good shooting" gene, must have skipped a generation on his side as he didn't have it.

I know that not to be true. We always talked whenever we ran into each other, and it was like we had talked just last week.

R.I.P. Mr H. Lynn Parsons.

A good man.

What else can anyone say.

OB

13. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

It's still hard to accept the passing of Dr. Parsons and difficult to talk about.

As a Trustee, most will never know how much he truly cared about the Trapshooting Hall of Fame and the sport itself. The word ambassador was used in the first post by Dave Berlet and there is no better word I can think of to let folks know that he talked about trapshooting wherever he went.

As a friend, Doc would do almost anthing he could to help you but was not above giving you a good ribbing on ocassion. And, if you put the two brothers together, Lynn and Jerry were feisty, devilish and more fun than you can imagine.

My life was enriched by befriending Doc a few years back and I will always remember our trip to San Antonio, shooting a practice round at the Cardinal Center and our many discussions about the sport, its history and his father Herb Parsons.

Deepest condolences to the family of Doctor H. Lynn Parsons. May the wonderful memories keep the sadness away.

Kenny Ray Estes
    Pittsgrove, New Jersey

14. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

[​IMG]

I was able to capture this image of Lynn shooting on Station 4, with Kenny Ray on 3, at the Ohio State shoot in 2010.

Yes indeed, good memories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

david berlet gunfitter