1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOF museum ideas

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapwife, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The Hall of Fame is in the early stages of planning a new museum in Sparta. Let's put our thinking caps on and offer some great ideas for a new and improved record of our trapshooting history.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I will try to find my thinking cap, but it is a very small size hat. I have been thinking about ways to help finance the move. That will be a real challenge.

Pat Ireland

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Pat,

Here's an idea, see "Wanted SCTP Coaches" thread for ideas on raising money...

Ref.: SMOKER

milt

4. trapwife

I think it would be cool to reproduce the look of the old museum on the outside. The inside needs to be reconfigured to make better use of the space than the old place did. Maybe we could even put up the ole water tower????????

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Now that's an interesting idea! ...

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Well Pat if you can't find the small size thinking cap I think I might have an extra one in the closet.

Foghorn

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

How about a larger than life statue of "ziggy" breaking his latest 200 straight, complete with all the funny jokes he has told us.

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

uuuhh, I want to help on this project. Wheresa buy one of them thar thinken hats??

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Might as well go with the "What Were They Thinking" model.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

trapwife I am very curious about this project. First question I have is if this move is to be a permanent move or should they be thinking about making the displays portable in case of another move in the future?

Bob Lawless

11. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Karla

The NSSA built a new building for its museum one of the fund raisers is selling bricks that are inscribed with the name of someone who is in the HOF or in memory of someone, etc.

Check out this link:

https://www.nssa-nsca.com/Webforms/Bricks/Default.aspx

Ronbo

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

"The Hall of Fame is in the early stages of planning a new museum in Sparta."

Who is doing the planning and who will make the decisions?

"If wishes were fishes, we'd all fry a few."

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the current HOF, so forgive me if this has already been implemented, but how about a section for women in trapshooting?

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

"Nah"

Actually, I seem to remember there was quite a bit about women shooters in the current hof...

(just kidding)

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

How about a $15.00 bag of shot?

16. mette56

Karla,

Maybe google museums or WWII Museum for ideas. My bet is that you have some good ideas so research a little and see what others have done. I was always fascinated by the museum at Vandalia and did not notice any shortcomings. But I'm sure a "new era" could/should be reflected. I was fixed to the photo in the center of the main entry building at Sparta. The black and white picture that showed the old Vandalia grounds and past shooters like Bueford Bailey, Lori I. Delaheny, Dan Orlich and others in their day. I've been involved with the new "Bataan Death March" museum but have not been privileged to its presentation, just with soliciting donations.

Good luck and I hope you get some constructive ideas from posters. After all, the museum represents all of us!

Thanks for your effort and caring for such a good cause...

milt

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Karla, I like the idea of preserving the look of the present HOF. If enough desire was to retain that appearance it can be duplicated.

There are a number of themes that could be put together to acheive our purpose. I would think that those that have been enshrined and are still living would be fair contributors. The idea of selling inscribed brick. On a larger scale, sections of sidewalk or even a cobble stone walk with inscribed names. Surely some of the more prominant gunmakers, ie Seitz, Alferman, Bowen, DeVault would possible make one_of_a_kind shotguns that could be raffled or auctioned. Set up special charity shoots at Sparta to benefit HOF.

I would/will do what I can to help make this happen.

18. mette56

Martin,

Very good! Creates lots of attention, interest, funds...can I help??? Maybe raise the funds to cook BBQ for the SPECIAL CHARITY SHOOT at Sparta???

milt

19. trapwife

Jim Bradford announced the move of the old museum at the HOF banquet this past August during the Grand. There has been some additional information in Trap and Field. The Hall of Fame board will have to work with the State of IL IDNR and the complex to come to any final decisions. There are alot of artifacts that don't have a home in the old musuem for lack of space. I'm sure Kenny Ray Estes is thinking of ways to present more than ever before. As with any project funding will be an important issue. I'm sure all the displays inside will be "move-able" even if the musuem stays in Sparta forever because of the huge amount of stuff, items should naturally be rotated to keep it fresh and interesting. If anyone has ever been in the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, you will appreciate the inovative way they have structured their sound system in front of each display. You can stand in front of a picture/display and hear the information, but take one step off to the side and the sound is gone. This allows alot of audio in a small space and yet it doesn't get overbearing and confusing. I'm sure there are other ideas out there that would enhance the presentation of our history.

20. C1

C1 Member

I just have one question.

Are they going to move Punkin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.