1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hodgdon Titegroup

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t901, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t901

t901 Member

Has anyone use Hodgdon Titegroup? I have been using promo but titegroup requires less powder and should be alot cleaner, so it's about the same price. Just don't know of many people shooting it.
    Thanks Todd

2. wanderer

wanderer Member

Been using it for my handicap loads. 17.2 gr. in Rem. case. soft shooting, clean, and smokes target, when on. Takes a long wad. G.E.G.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Todd,

Titegroup is a very good powder. It is very versatile and works well for 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads. I've loaded everything from real lite 1oz to fast 1 1/8oz with zero issues.

18gr of Titegroup in a Remington hull with a TGT-12 wad and 1 1/8oz of shot is good for 1235fps.

Use only Remington or Winchester primers as this powder doesn't like a "hot" primer.

The down side to this powder is that it is very dense. If you use an adjustable charge bar on a MEC, forget it. You'll need to buy a few new bushings as it doesn't take a very big hole to get the needed load.

Reguardless of what Hodgdon has printed on their website, Fig 8 wads don't work with this powder. TGT-12's (or its clones) and Downrange XL-1's work very well.

ss

4. t901

t901 Member

So I would use the tgt-12 wads for both 1oz and 1 1/8 loads? That makes it even better I only need to stock one wad

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Titegroup is a good powder but the use cost will be alot higher than PROMO. If you are looking for a powder for handicap type loads or heavy target loads, Green Dot or International Clays would probably be easier to work with and have alot more versatility. I use to be a die hard Hodgdon fan but the more I shoot Green Dot the more I like it.

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have just started my second 4 lb canister of it, and am pleased with results. I have forever shot WST, but have been trying Clays, TiteWad, and other powders just to see how they compare in performance and cost. I figured having a backup powder to WST might come in handy if it shows shortages like Clays has.

I find Titewad very close to WST in loading volumne and performance, but Titewad seems cleaner and cheaper.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use TG with an adjustable bar. I did have a problem with a few loads, and figured out the powder drop was varying.

The little tiny orifice needs a second to fill, so I push the handle down, pause, then let it up. Never a problem since.

The pause is to be sure the powder fills the cavity. 18.2 with a TGT. Excellent load.

HM

9. t901

t901 Member

anyone else??

10. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

Here's my favorite load for 16 to 23 yards.

Rem hull, Win primer, 16.7 Titegroup, TGT 12 wad, 1.125 oz shot.

Very light recoil and cronographs at 1200 fps.

11. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

t901 I using Tightgroup for a 1 1/2 to 2yrs now and I load Rem hulls, Green rem wad Target - 12, rem sts 209 primer, 16.2 -16.4 Tightgroup it doesn't vary much I use that load for all my leagues and all the way back not just 16yds and I use it for annies and buddy shoots. Very very very seldom I might take a box of 3dr 1200 fps loads but only when the wind might be real heavy blowing. I also use a 1oz load with tightgroup it is in the hodgdon manual 1290 fps. The sts and the gold medal shells in 1200fps 3dr hit to hard a steady dose of them causes you to have recoil problem they hit hard, its in the timimg and being ablr to focus on the target.Pat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.