1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hodgdon Longshot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Animal, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Animal

Animal Member

Lately, I have been using Clays and Universal for my loading needs. Because I like Hodgdon a buddy gave me a 4 lb. jug of Longshot. Being in the same line as Clays and Universal, I thought I would give it a whirl. When I started looking at the load data for Longshot, I realized that it has no place in any of my trap loads due to illegal trap speed; however, Annie Oakley loads are another thing. I have never really paid much attention to the Longshot data because it is not a powder that I have used before. It surprised me that the listed data for the 1-1/8 oz. load that I used is up in the mid 1400 FPS range while the PSI is still within safe 9,100 operating pressure. It's kind of like an old standard three speed manual transmission, when the rpms get to high you shift to the next gear which reduces the RPM's and increases the speed. I loaded up a few rounds to try and only noticed a louder report in addition to speed. And of course the naysayer's around me thought I was shooting some irresponsible wildcat stuff that was going to blow my gun up, of course they don't reload. I can definitely see a use for this powder for hunting, sporting clays and Oakley's. It's not something I would shoot often, but will keep a box or two loaded for those "special" occasions. So far, I'm impressed and I'd be interested to hear about anyone elses experiences with Longshot powder. Dave

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Great 28 ga powder.

jim brown

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I keep a few shells in my shooting satchel, loaded with longshot, for sporting clays. I use them as limb clearers to open up shooting windows a bit. Other than that, it is strictly a game shooting powder for me.

I did try some in a 20 ga shell, but prefer Universal Clays for this.

ss

4. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Wait until you need to load something up for the wiley late season pheasant this fall. You will love the Longshot. Perfect for high speed 1 1/4 oz and 1 3/8 pheasant fodder.
    I would be willing to bet my hat Dr. Longshot has a can or two of this powder on his loading bench.

jmac

5. Animal

Animal Member

"I would be willing to bet my hat Dr. Longshot has a can or two of this powder on his loading bench."

What kind of hat is it that you are you willing to bet? If it's a Stetson 5x beaver in 7-1/4 I'm in, Haha.

Some will think that just because the Longshot is louder and faster it will wear out your gun faster and create more stress; however, if the load is in the same safe pressure range as the average trap load, is my assumption correct that it will be no worse for the wear than if using any other load in the same pressure range? I'm looking at the listed data in the RCBS manual at a 1-1/8 oz load that is listed as 10,100 PSI @1475 FPS, which is not that much more pressure than the normal HC load @1250 FPS. It seems that the gas expansion needed to reach the 1475 speed would generate more pressure than that. Dave

6. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

I load a lot of Longshot for Money games at longer yardage. AA hull, W209, Rem SP12 wad and 1 1/4 oz. of 6's. 30.8 grains of longshot. Good for 1450 fps and
    will break targets to the ground with authority!

Pressures are under 10,000. Try it, you'll like it. Same load I've used on late season Iowa pheasants with success.

7. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Animal,

I only have a fairly nice looking ball cap. If you have one too, lets set them side by side and let DR. LS tell us who won the bet. LOL

jmac

8. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

In my opinion...one of the worst powder ever made. Outragiously loud and very abusive. Alliant blue dot, pro reach, and winchester super field are the other terrible powders. BYG

9. ABH

ABH Member

Animal,

Do not leave Longshot powder in the powder hopper of your reloader. If your hopper is plastic, it may turn the plastic yellow and fuse into the sides of the tube. It is extremely corrosive to the plastic tube of my RCBS Grand and probably others also. I suggest you load your shells and always empty the hopper when finished.

ART H.

10. Animal

Animal Member

"Do not leave Longshot powder in the powder hopper of your reloader. If your hopper is plastic, it may turn the plastic yellow and fuse into the sides of the tube. It is extremely corrosive to the plastic tube of my RCBS Grand and probably others also. I suggest you load your shells and always empty the hopper when finished. ART H."

Thanks Art, that is good information. Just the other day I broke down some of the longshot loads that I was not comfortable with and did notice that the wad had turned yellow in less than a month. I also noticed that the Longshot powder had packed pretty tight into a cake like formation. I always break down the reloader after every session and put all remaining components back in their original containers. Thanks for the information. Dave

11. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I'll agree with One Eye Left Handed.
    I made up virtually the recipe (from the book) for pheasants. Awesome load.
    The book I looked at even went up to 32 grains for nearly 1500 fps.

Tim

12. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I bought an 8#er of Longshot looking to load 12 gz. Sporting Clays loads. I ended up using in AA HS 20 ga. hulls. That 8#er for 20 gauge should last me a long time. Ended up using Universal at 1310 for Sporting.

13. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I have loaded the max 1 1/4 oz load and killed birds stone dead at ridiculous distances in the 12.

Don't like it in the 28.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Goes like hell, kicks like a mule, sticks to powder jar on loader. All true.

15. SetterGuy

SetterGuy Member

As Trials Gunners, we are using this powder exclusively for training loads (rules spec factory loads only for trials): 1 1/4oz @ 1330fps is spec, and loading to Hodgdon charts in RXP hulls gives a soft shooting round of ~9000psi.
    Muzzle blast is also quite reasonable with 75 to 80cm (31.5")bbls -- stand well back is someone shoots short or ported barrels!!!

Pheasants can be dropped at up to ( a measured) 90 yards with #5 shot .... something I would never try in actual hunting .... but Trials is a different game.

16. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I use quite a lot of Longshot for "one" primary reason...It has lower pressures across the board than any powder that I'm aware of.

However...I believe that is "really" important in tubed guns.

I shoot a LOT of 28 gauge where pressures run high anyway....LongShot pressures there are much, much lighter than most of the other applicable 28 ga. powders..

Happy trails...Stan

17. darr

darr Well-Known Member

It is a handy powder.It's great in 20 and 28 gauge.

18. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I like longshot for my 1-1/4 games loads. I use about 28 grains for most applications with reduced recoil with good results. This is a little less than most published data.
    Clyde

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I patterned Longshot and was less then impressed with it. I found that if noise and smoke are what you like then Longshot will treat you just fine. As far as holes in the pattern go my Herco and Bluedot handloads at 1300 to 1350 put more pellets in a 30 inch circle at 60 myards then Longshjot by nearly 15%. I didn't try the slowwer loads as I already had good loads that went slow. I used nickel plated shot from Ballistics products as well as magnum grade west coast 4's. and 6's.

If your gun doesn't have a pattern at 80 yards anyway it does give you the chance at having a lucky pellet break a target with less lead required.

m I did have good luck with it in the 28ga with hunting loads. 12ga was a joke. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
game load for long shot powder
1oz slug longshot

h longshot 12ga

hodgdon longshot

hodgdon longshot 12 gauge 1 oz slug data

hodgdon longshot loads
hodgdon longshot pattern preformance
hodgdon longshot powder