1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hodaka Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Mike K P, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Has anyone ever had or now have a Hodaka motorcycle? I had one as a kid and have a renewed interest in them. I've found a few on line and am thinking I would like to get one and restore it. They were primarily dirt bikes and I had a 125 cc model called a Combat Wombat. Lots of fun. Mike.

2. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

I used to ride a Combat Wombat also. Great bike, but ride it for 3 hours, tighten bolts for 1 hour.

3. WWB

WWB Member

Ha--do I remember Hodakas! When my son was 12 we went to Denver and bought an
    ACE 100 in boxes. All it really needed was a clutch. We put it together & he ran the heck out of it. It smoked, was a 2 cycle, had a unique sound and the shift pattern was 1 up and 4 down. It was Red and Silver and I think my son still has the original owners manuel for it.
    Bill

4. drucker

drucker TS Member

I had an Ace and a super rat......see a few on ebay still and every once in a while.....many trips in the mountains fishing and hunting with a good friend....simpliar days

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Never had one, but I remember them. They had the "chrome" gas tank, right? Or at least the ones I remember did, the 100-B. A kid I went to high school with had a "Combat Wombat".

I always wonder what happened to all those bikes from the late 60s and early 70s.

Everybody I knew had a dirt bike. Then somewhere along the line we all switched to street bikes. The local Honda shop couldn't keep a Honda 350 in stock. You had to put your name on a waiting list.

I hadn't seen a Honda 350 in 20 years, then last summer gas hit $4 a gallon. I started seeing a few then. I guess there are a lot of old bikes just stuck in garages, just waiting for somebody to ride em.

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Hodacracker....I had an Ace 90. Great trail bike. I sold it and bought a Bulltaco ...big mistake. Spanish can't make bikes. Sold that Bultaco and bought a Honda 250 Elsenor. that was a great bike. Sold that and bought a Yamaha DT 400B That was a good bike too but the gas tank was too small. I once rode that from Great Falls to Glssgow and had to bring along two 1 qt. tanks of gas, there were just too many miles between towns and gas stations back in 1976.

7. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

One of the things I liked best about my Combat Wombat was it had a lot of low end power which most two stroke dirt bikes didn't have. That made it a great wheelie bike. Went over the back many times. At least I had sense enough to put plastic fenders on it but, that's about the only evidence that I had any brain function back then. Mike.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

About every young TT and flat-track racer started with a Oregon-based Hodaka; there must still be thousands of them with only a few miles (and an equal number of crashes.)

Neil

9. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks for the picture abiezer. Nice!

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Had one of the first in our area, Ace 90. Went to Youperland and walloped the locals, LOL.

HM

11. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

And don't forget the Road Toad !

Boy, they could come up with some great names !

Bill

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Never heard of them. Are these a Jewish bike?

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

No, they are Japanese. You must be thinking of the Sadaka as in Neil, that one is Jewish

14. halfmile

When the Ace 90 appeared on the scene it was magic. All the other bikes in that class had punch press frames, and this thing had a tube frame like a BSA or a Triumph.

It handled like them too, nary a wiggle in the corners. The later models were great descendants,but the Ace was the bellwether. All this and a comfy seat. those Pabatco guys in Oregon know what they were about.

HM

15. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Halfmile, I bought an Ace 90 when they first appeared, first thing I did was buy a 125 kit for it, can't remember who made the kit but it was a real torquer. I then went to a Yamaha DT-1 with a Doug Schwerma, Champion Frame. I knew Doug, I see Rick Hocking who rode for Doug is still active. He was an artist on a short track. J.W

16. halfmile

OK, now for fity thousand,

Who made the engine?

First one who gets it I will send the nice paperback, "Wing Shooter's guide to North Dakota"by Chuck Johnson.

HM

17. FLIP

FLIP Member

pabaco? cant remenber what was on the tank badge

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I never owned one but did have a Bultaco...another off brand

19. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

CalvinMD,
    The Bultacos weren't that obscure in the 70's if you were flat trackin.Lots of Astros in the Novice class.Of course as hard as they were to ride & work on they should have been obscure!!LOL.

Ibex

20. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

I think the "Combat Wombat" was a 100cc bike, however that was a long time ago.

BK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hodaka flat tracker