1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoarding of Ammo

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Wait until the hoarders turn to shotguns when they can no longer get their handgun and rifle ammo,,,,what faith in the leadership of this country!!!!!

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A year from now when a loaf of bread is twice the cost or more, Ammo will be more valuable than the dollars that bought it.

I don't think its unwise to stock up on hard assets. I would buy cars, tools, guns, ammo, and anything else that isn't the fluff people have been wasting their wherewithal on for the last 20 years.

HM

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

In a few months ammo and components will be back to normal....but....at a higher price now that the manufacturers have seen what people will pay for them.

Remember the primer scare during Bubba Clintons reign?

4. 1oz

1oz Member

We did what to ourselfs

5. darr

darr Well-Known Member

It is the idiots overpaying for components and ammo that as stated in an earlier thread are going to sustain the high prices once supply returns to normal.

Darr

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I really can't blame people because they're anticipating severe restictions are coming. You know, I believe that to be true. These Einsteins in Congress plus Obama's hate for guns is all you need to harass law-abiding citizens. I really don't believe they will act in a constitutional manner. The 2nd Amendment uses the word "infringed". Look it up in the dictionary, it means to encroach on a right. Encroach is from the 15th century and it means to enter by gradual steps or by stealth into the possessions or rights of another. Now it's like the government moving into the bedroom right next to the farmer's daughter; she wouldn't stay a virgin for long. It's not a new concept. These clowns take an oath to uphold the Constitution but they're the first to encroach on our rights. BT-100dc

7. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I am one of the "idiots" has been buying components and ammo when and where I find it, however I have refused to pay the exorbatant prices some are demanding. Still shop for deals and buy when the quality and price are good. Since I think a gun without any ammo will only be a poor club when facing a gun loaded with ammo, I choose to make sure I have ammo for mine...

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

If the supply comes back to normal and prices remain higher it won't be because the manufacturers entered into some conspiracy to keep the prices higher. It will be because the government interfered with the production or supply, increased taxes on it and/or all the spending by the Obama administration caused inflation which resulted in a general price increase across the entire economy.

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I hoard it all week, and shoot it on the weekends....

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

What Frank said.!!

11. chrisg

chrisg Member

I am down to only 150,000 rounds of centerfire rifle and pistol ammo and only 35,000 shotgun rounds including all the subgauges. But...never fear, I have enough components to reload all of that again!!
    c.g.

12. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

The supply for handgun and rifle is about exhausted. The fear of the loss of the 2nd Amendment either by slow process or by tax increases means we are seeing a further loss of trust in our government. The U.S. Constitution is very clear but our politicians have their own personal agenda. Very sad we elect people who can't read and refuse to listen to the middle class. Michael

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Government Trust? Hahahaha!

Curt

14. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I probably think differently than most. I keep enough around to keep things going and that is about it. I see hoarding for the reason that the government is going to increase tax or remove this stuff is a pointless venture. Ammo is a disposable asset. Hoarding works to cover short supply problems, but if any of this is outlawed all you are doing is delaying the inevitable, for at some point you will be without ammo also.

Now you could possible make money selling the stuff if it's outlawed but who knows.

I doubt you are going to see huge tax increases or any outlawed ammo anytime soon. I could however be wrong and for those that are hoarding, you are betting this is what is going to happen and apparently you think it will pretty soon.

Hey it's all a guessing game, but the current prices are no ones fault but our own, so please stop blaming everyone else.

15. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

1.5 billion rounds sold in December 08 alone. See above....

Jerbear

16. biff

biff Active Member

If guns are outlawed, what makes you think ammo won't be outlawed also. Obviously everything will be confiscated and you will run the risk of being arrested and sent to a dentention center for an indefinite period of time if found with forbidden items! Scary thought isn't it?

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

After all, how many rounds will you get off before the black helicopter takes you out?

18. smartweed

smartweed TS Member

Are any of the manufacturers stepping up to meet the demand? Seems like a great short term opportunity assuming they can get all of their raw materials. The current supply squeeze is too volatile for any new producers to step in, but I can't immagine the current players not trying to whore this while it lasts.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The supply chain goes through distributors, and when the last truck came to our local store from Badger Shooters supply, ever\ything in it was gone before the truck was parked.

You can't speed up things in this case. If Hornady bought more machinery and put people to work, it would be months before anything more was available in the retail market.

By that time they may figure the panic buying would subside.

???

HM

20. smartweed

smartweed TS Member

That makes sense...no one will tool up for a short term price bump. However, those that take the risk may be rewarded if this bubble plays out longer than any of us care to think. Could be a slow grind of confiscatory legislation attempts which would drive prices higher unless supply were to increase.
    Sure hope someone finds some old manufacturing equipment they could press back into service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.