1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ho-HO--HOO! Hey all you Greendot users ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I,m using PB now and like it. But hey. It's a little more expensive than GD. I tried some awhile back and thought it was better than O.K. So here's my question. Using Greendot, what is your load for a 27 yd handicap? And please include just why it is that you find the load so much better than a little less or a little more. Aside from other components I use Cheddites all the time.

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

20.0 GD, Spolar wad,7.5 shot size, 1 1/8 oz of shot, in AA or STS hull. Cheditte primer. Tight pattern and fast [1,250/sec.] Clays International will give you the same performance. Fred

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I used a lot of PB but switched to Green Dot because it makes excellent 1 ounce loads along with 1-1/8 ounce loads.

My 27 load, Win AA hull, Win primer, Blue Duster, 1-1/8 ounce West Coast Magnum 7.5's, 21 grains GD. Makes great patterns at 45 yards.

Wayne

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Same with 19.8 grains of green dot. that's what the bushing drops, tried it and am sticking with it although I think I like PB a little better other than the costs and of course I am a tightwad so costs do factor in.

5. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

21 gr. green dot. 1 1/8 RXP wad. STS hull Win. primer. Patterns well. fast and smooth. Tried same set up with 18.6 gr. red dot and breaks look good, but more kick, and not quite as fast.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

20.7 grs. GD, AA hull, AA12SL wad, Cheddite primer, one ounce of #8's. It's fast, great patterns, plenty of punch. Very little recoil.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

This is an interesting thread for me bacause I am a PB user who is thinking about Green Dot the next time I buy powder. I've tried it before and found it to vary a great deal between lots but that was nine years ago - that condition probably has been improved.

Ed

8. TD1958

TD1958 Member

The only thing i did not like about green dot is the cold weather bloopers;good luck, Tim

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had those when I last tried Green Dot with Remington primers in 20-degree weather but when some loads with even slower-burning PB and Federal primers went off normally on the same day (switched from the GD loads to the PB ones mid-trap), I just used 209As in bitter cold temps from then on.

Ed

10. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

19.8 GD, STS hulls, Fed-209-A's, DR TGT-12's, 1-1/8 7.5's. Smokes targets, kinda' fast at 1225-fps. Powder drops consistantly from my MEC, I have given Tight-group a try and it also is a great powder and make a really nice load.

Have tried little else for 1 1/8-oz.

Matt Nicol

11. fishguts

fishguts Member

WiN. AA Super Handicap powder can also be used for 1oz. loads as well as 1 1/8oz. loads, and they really explode the targets from all yardages. Price is comparable to Green Dot too.

As a matter of fact, I'm loading 1oz. AA loads right now using the old style AA cases. I think the Rem.. green and golds use the same loads also.

Wayne

12. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Jim / Ed,

I would say that Alliant Powders have improved their smokeless shotshell powders considerably over the last five years. In addition to introducing several new shotshell powders to choose from, they’ve also tightened up the quality control measures significantly. The powders are not only cleaner now, but also much more consistent as they’re dropped. The prices have also remained very competitive.

Jon Reitz

13. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Thanks for the replies. Though I've never had any problems using Cheddites with GD, I'd probably be a good idea to use the Fed primer. At my club here in Ca. I've had a few of the guys having problems with the Fed primer. It's like the primer hasn't got a good anvil inside or the contact explosive is missing. Firing pins hit well enough, just don't go off. I've had great success using Clay Buster wads ( 4118's and 1100's). They feed through the 366 reloader very well and seem to get the job done out the other end of the barrel. What I look for in a powder is the fastest reaction time I can get. In my mind, it kinda makes up for any delay I might have in my own reaction time to firing on target. I'd like to use only Fed primers, but they're too expensive. And using expensive components when only in shooting events doesn't 'jell' with me. I want to be able to practice with the exact same loads I'll use in events.

14. yendor12

yendor12 Member

I love Green Dot, Have used it for years, BUT it seem very dirty and the end of my shells turn dirty and black. Makes for more clean up. Started to use E-3 and have had considerable sucess.
    Rod

15. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Ed, 20 is not bitter cold. Merry Christmas and Happy New year

Rick in MT

16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

"x" I'd stick with the Cheddites until a problem occurs. I was very, very skeptical back a couple of years ago when I first started using them. I have NOT had a fail to fire or squib load in the thousands I reloaded and shot yet. Out here in Penna. it can get colder than a well diggers ass in winter and the prior two winters were cold. Reloading data is scarce or not as plentyful but your loads are very similar to mine and others.

17. thunder

thunder Active Member

I just did a cost calculator on my PB load and was kinda of shocked at current prices. A box of PB 1 1/8 ounce reloads without cost of hulls is 5.70 per box. The cost of Green Dot 1 1/8 ounce without hulls is 5.01. My Red Dot 1 ounce load cost 4.44 without hull cost. I use strictly Chetite primers, Downrange Wads, Lawrence hard shot and buy in quantity to get best price. This does include our 5.5 Wisconsin tax. Might be time to buy all factory handicap loads when the rebates are on again. Looks like factory AA or STS would cost with tax about 10 cents per box more than PB handicap loads.

18. ltsc1

ltsc1 Member

I read with interest your post about using Federal Primers and them not going off. I'm having the same problem. I've sent several back to Federal but have yet to hear ayhting back from them. I have used two different losts with the same problem. Is anyone else having this problem? 2 or 3 out of every 25 won't go off after a hit.

19. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Just got my first 1000 of the Fed primers. I tried a box of them and no problems. Weather permiting I plan to kick a nice dent in the rest of the left over 900. Will post on results. I normally shoot Rem STS primers.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Federal primers have traditionally been the most trouble free for decades. Misfires were unheard of. They had one bout with defective primers many years ago after a process change but none since. No complaints from my end!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.