1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HiViz sights - Yes or No...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Slugo, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slugo

Slugo Member

are they a help or a hindrance!?! Your thoughts guys...

[​IMG]

2. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Slugo, I liked them but I found my eyes being drawn back to them on the sharp angles.

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I put the shorter Hi-Viz sight bar onto my gun about 9 months ago, like the one in your photo. I knew I did not want the longer version, as I've seen on some.

My scores dropped immediately after putting the sight on the end of my rib. In fact, for quite some time, I was "clueless" on many of my missed targets. Finally - after lamenting my situation to several whose opinions and advice I trust, one of my friends suggested that I might be guilty of "bead checking" .
    ............that instead of concentrating my visual focus upon the target, I was coming back to that pretty, flourescent green sight at the end of the barrel.

I began to work more at looking hard for the target (as we all know it should be done, anyway), and now am not even aware of the sight as I shoot. I have seen a steady progression toward the averages I am capable of shooting.

While it was entirely MY fault, and not that of the HiViz, I would merely caution you to not fall prey to the same flaw of watching the bead.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The big magnetic model you have pictured is intended for hunting in the woods in dim light, not for shooting trap. That size light pipe is like hanging a lantern on the end of the barrel.

HiViz makes a <I>Comp Sight</i> that it supplies to Browning and that is less obvious than that monster sight. Even then, you may find it too distracting like I do. My lite pipes are painted black on the end now.

MK

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

too distracting for me. I dont want tyo concentrate on the sights, just the target in relation to my eyes and the end of the barrel

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Hi-viz is too large and bulky on the end of my barrel for target shooting. I do think they are GREAT for Hunting especially early mornings in the duck boat.

The Champion Easy-hit (smaller 2.5mm) is a much better choice for target shooting. It's "tunnel" design can also assist in alignment down the barrel for lest experienced shooters.

SW

[​IMG]

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I bought a small hi-viz one and it works well. i like it.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Nooooooooooooo...

9. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

I have always had better luck de-emphasizing the bead at the end of the gun. I think this is a throw back to my first trap gun, a Model 12 Winchester with a red trap bead. I have been tempted by the Hi-Viz, especially since some of the top guns recommend them. For now I'll stick with a bradley white or red front bead.

Very personalized choice, fortunately they are cheap and easy to swap if one wants to experiment.

Play Dead

10. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I find that I suddenly get ADHD when almost anything is attached to the end of the barrel. Goes something like this… "Pull! (Wow, that's way cool out there! Purty, too!) Lost!"

Just can't keep my eyes off of them. I even have to remove or paint over my beads with flat black paint. Apparently I have no ability to avoid staring at something bright and shiny. Seems to apply equally to certain types of young women, too.

Doc

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I love the HiViz that came on my Beretta. I use the smallest diameter green pipe.
    [​IMG]

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've got them on my handguns and my SKB (came with one).

I like them. I have no problem ignoring it after a quick bead check when getting ready. Really nice on the handguns with my aged eyesight.

cap

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you look at the target, the Hi-Viz site will not bother you ... If you look at the site instead, you will miss the target ... They take a little getting used to but once you have, you will love it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Harlan and I like the Hi Viz Comp with the small green pipe...SMOKIT

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Harlan also sets his guns to shoot 24" high. At that setting he NEEDS a bright pipe just to have any idea of where the end of the barrel is.

MK

16. MachOne-83

MachOne-83 TS Member

It depends upon your background. I was in the military and then law enforcement. I was always told and practiced "front site" focus. I really had a hard time with shooting the shotgun, until a friend told me to try one of these. I put it on the gun and my scores got better that day. Now, I still have to tell myself to focus on the target, but the front site is so "there" that I do not have to go looking for it. I always see it, so I feel it easier to look for and at the target. It has really helped me. Dean

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Same as Dean. I have the Tru-Glo "fat bead." I never bead check because I never feel I have to. Different strokes for different folks.

18. SMOKEIT

Dean got it exactly right--this is why they work so well...SMOKIT

19. SMOKEIT

20. SMOKEIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page