1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hiviz sights for trapshooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by T.A.K., Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

Can someone explain to me why people use Hiviz sights on their guns for trapshooting?

I know a lot of people swear by having as little to no bead at all, even going as far as blackening some of it out or removing them. I was wondering why the Hiviz are so popular; it would seem logical that the bright sight would keep drawing the shooter's attention back to the bead versus keeping their eye on the bird.

Thank you.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

With the cool temps out you'll need to reel in slow. Bites have been slow and soft.

3. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

I often wondered the same thing. I had a model 12 with a red front bead and had to black it out because my eye was being drawn back to it instead of looking at the bird. I don't find that with white beads though. The hiviz sites look like a neon light shining in my eyes.I could see them being good for turkey hunting or shooting slugs, something that you are aiming. To each is own I guess.

Dave

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I found them useful several years ago when I was intoduced to sporting clays in the woods. Your minds eye can see it without looking at anything but the target. Similarily with rifles and hand guns. Otherwise I don't know how it works but it does. There is an awful lot of them sold not to have some benefit

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It's all a matter of self discipline. The purpose of the bead is to feed information to your sub-concious mind about muzzle position. This information is fed at the subliminal level while your eyes are focused on the target. Of course if you reference the bead directly your gun speed slows and you generally miss behind. You want a "bead" up there that your eyes can "see" subliminally, but not be inordinately drawn to. I went with red because green was too tempting to look back at. Everyone's level of discipline to keep their eyes focused on the target is different but we should all strive to discipline ourselves to stay focused OUT THERE. Once you have trained your brain it's easier. I seldom see my barrel or bead.

bsd thanked this.
  6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Hi Viz came standard on my Browning XTs...worked fine...I learned to just ignore the bead. Perhaps my "color blindness/deficiency" helped. Just look at the target. Regards, Ed

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The bright front sight helps in aiming the shotgun. I just keep my eye on the HiViz sight and when the target comes into view, I move the sight to the target and pull the trigger.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you have the discipline to simply LOOK AT THE TARGET, you will see the light pipe in your peripheral vision. Helps me know where the barrel is without looking at it. I use the green pipe with the small head.

I shoot right handed both eyes open, but am left handed and left eye dominant. I know, have shot this way for 55+ years, and am not going to change now. The dot does not work for me.

If you yield to temptation and look at the front bead, you won't hit the bird regardless of bead color.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Harlan Cambell uses one and doesn't shoot all that bad. Anyone here ever beat him??

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Why, after reading dickgtax's post, do I suddenly feel, at the subliminal level, in my sub-conscios mind, like I need to pull on some hip boots?

11. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

If beads or sights don't matter, knock them off with a hammer. If you still shoot as well without them, then they are over-rated. Just keep shooting 100 straights and may the force be with you!

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ollie,

I've beat Harlan Cambell numerous times. It's Harlan Campbell I have trouble with. :)

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"If you have the discipline to simply LOOK AT THE TARGET, you will see the light pipe in your peripheral vision. Helps me know where the barrel is without looking at it. I use the green pipe with the small head."

THIS.

I've had the green hiviz compsight on my gun for probably close to a decade now. I put it on initially, and didn't really like it, so I took it off. Put it back on and decided to give it a little more of a chance, and it's been on every clay target gun (and some field guns) that I've shot since.

I don't remember the last time I actually saw it when I was shooting a flying target.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Matt, now be a good boy and go save some "rabits"!!

15. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I had a Hi-Vis sight on an XT I shot for a time. Used the small green.

The litepipe broke on the second post of a 50 bird derby. I didn't even know it was gone until I saw it on the ground when changing posts on the handicap portion.

I shot 25 birds and never missed the sight or a bird.

Of course, after the realization that it was gone that was all I could fixate on, and couldn't hit my ass with either hand.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

People use Hi-Viz sights for the same reason they use ported barrels and chokes...to annoy, confound and confuse those who devote their every waking moment to worrying about the way other people conduct their lives!

Keller

17. archangel

archangel Member

One of the great ironies of life: It exists only mess with our mind. Flat black paint works well for me. if the gun shots where you look and your mount is consistant beads are irrelevent: I think. mike

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I used my Hi-Vis to check the correctness of my mount before calling for the bird. It doesn't happen often, but the initial reason I bought it was there were a few clubs I shot at that you had to stand in the shade. I would come out of the bright sunlight and move into the shade and when I'd mount my gun, the bead(s) would seem to disappear. Since I was into my mount, I didn't want to start over, so I'd usually "wing-it", resulting in less than expected results (LOST!). The addition of the Hi-Vis sight cured this. Even in the shade I could immediately tell my mount was correct.

I got to where I didn't like the large diameter of the Hi-Vis sight that much, so I started looking around and found the Tru-Glo sight - TG91. It's diameter is like 1/3 of the size of the Hi-Vis. This is what I use now. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'll never ever be facing Harlan, Phil, Leo or anyone else of that caliber,..dont like glow worms on the end of my gun and big white beads either for that matter..usually prefer to replace with a smaller ivory if the thread size will allow

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

For wireguy: My theory is that on a thread about subjects like this, no one reads anybody else's post, they only want to post their own. You obviously are an exception, and also more perceptive than most - plus having a sense of humor.
    (We had one regular poster -Ace - years ago who responded to the the "Subject" and didn't even read the initial post.)

I shoot a very bright bead that I actually made myself from a fiberoptic rod and a piece of HO gauge model railroad track that I bought at a hobby shop. It's especially helpful in sporting clays where you usually don't start mounting your gun until after the target is thrown. Also, in the wooded courses I shoot, the trees make it difficult at times to see your gun barrel at all-especially when the leaves turn color.
    [​IMG]

My homemade bead. The "bead" measures 3/16th of an inch. I also have green and yellow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best bead for trap

best sights for trap shooting

hi vis tru glo big bead

hi viz sights for browning 525 sporting clays model

hi-viz sights on trapguns

hiviz sights for clays

what is the number one hi viz sight for trap shooting