1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

History ? on release triggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SPACE GUN, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

This may have been covered before, but I don't remember ever seeing anything on it. When? where? and Who? came up with the idea the release trigger?

2. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I have an E5 built in the late 20's and a E4 built in the late 40's both have Miller release triggers. I have no idea when they were installed, all I know is that they both feel great. Had Phillip look at them a year ago and all he said was "very nice work"

Jim r

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I remember reading a ad in a early 30's sportsman's review magazine where a Dr. was advertising installing them.

4. JJM

JJM Member

Actually it goes back a lot farther the American Indian made use of the release system on bows and arrows. They were very effective against General Custer.

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Sparrow Young was the fellow who was credited for the invention of the Release Trigger.

It is said he fabricated one using a shoe horn and some innovated engineering on his gun.

Excerpt from the Trapshooting Hall of Fame:

Sparrow Young's Shotgun

The small article below was printed in the American Rifleman (official NRA Journal) in the October, 2001 publication. "Sparrow" Young was a 1972 Hall of Fame inductee. He won the Grand American in 1926 when he became the first to break 100 straight at back yardage (23 yards). One of these guns can be found in the Hall of Fame museum collection. It must be noted that he did not use one of these guns when he won the GAH in 1926. He further distinguished himself by inventing the release trigger.

Dave in SC

6. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Thanks everyone fpr the information, I will make notes so when my grandson is my age the story will not be forgotten.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

cool stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

release trigger history