1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

History of the Ring Neck Pheasant

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Big Heap, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Interesting story on the website.

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Interesting that Oregon was the first state to establish a population. I would have guessed it would have been one of the plains states.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yup, it's ironic that Oregon pioneered the Ringneck Pheasant in the USA, because we have very few wild populations here. Most are hunted on game farms and hunting preserves, and are raised and released birds.

4. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

The grass seed business really hurt the Pheasant population in Oregon. Much less cover than before. Price of progress I suppose.

DDC

5. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I moved to the Champaign area in Illinois back in 70. The pheasant hunting was literally the best in the world. There were so many birds the farmers and landowners were glad to have the hunters thin them out. Life was good. Then came the winter of 1974-5. We got a 17 inch deep snow one day and the next day the temperature was 60 degrees and the snow melted down to about 6 inches of ice. That night the temp dropped below freezing and stayed there for the next 35 days. The birds starved to death by the hundreds of thousands. I don't think 1% survived it. The next year the government set aside program was changed and 90% of the nesting area was gone. They have not recoveded in the areas I used to hunt. I miss the calls, I miss the sight of coveys of pheasant on the barren winter fields looking for food. I miss watching the males fight over the females in the spring. They were the only color we had around here in the winter. I had known about someone who imported the game birds for their beauty and cunning when hunted. For whatever reason I thought they were brought up the Mississippi on river boats and introduced that way can't remember where I heard the story. I'm glad you posted your information. Of all the hunting I have done the Bobwhite quail and ringnecked pheasant have entertained me the most. Though I do love duck hunting. Dan

6. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I couldn't agree more! The best time of my life is when my Weimaraner " Lucky" and I are chasing those birds around....If you want to go back to the " Good -OL-Days" of Pheasant Hunting just go to South Dakota...The populations have been at all time highs and what you describe in your thread about IL in the 70's continues today in SD....A main contributor the the Pheasant decline in IL over the years is the increase of Farmers using modern irrigation and the elimination of cat-tail marshland...It's all over SD and where the birds can thrive and survive during he harshest winters in these frozen cat-tail slews....In addition with modern irrigation techniques came along the elimination of fence rows as well....My Dad and Grandfather hunted during the " Golden Years " of IL and their description sounds like we had Pheasant paradise her in IL...Now it's all planted birds at hunting clubs....Wild or planted I love to hunt them! May the Ring Neck Pheasant live forever!!!!

7. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Dahaub, did you ever shoot down at St. Joe Gun Club?

8. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

I grew up on a Nebraska farm in the 60's and 70's, as i got into highschool we had german short hair pointers! My favorite pass time growing up was hunting ring necks! i could come home at 5PM after school and take the dog out and shoot my limit of four birds all most any day of the week! I would offen drive to a neighbors farm in my dads pickup and shoot my limit also, taking along my dog gig. I was only 14 at the time, but would drive 10 miles or so just to find a big bunch of pheasants. I must of shot over 300 a year when i was in High School. I hunted almost every weekend of fall and early winter. I in a way I real miss not having a large pheasant population! You would see hundreds of hunter on opening day in Nebraska, 20 or 30 people would stop and ask to hunt! We still have a few pheasants on our farm in nebraska, but the numbers can be measured in less that 100, but in the 70's they were in the 1000's and for every one you shot there were 10 to replace it.They were and big part of hunting in nebraska for many years!

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Guys it was wonderful hunting when you really didn't have to be a good hunter to get the birds up. A couple other things that have cut down the populations of birds is the kinds of genetics the big companys have put in their seeds. Some of those seeds now have been engineered to be toxic to insects. Without insects the birds will be fewer just because their forage has been cut back. Now we also have an overload of coyote. I'm told that's because they follow the deer populations but they sure seem to feed on nesting pheasant and quail populations. I know a couple of guys who raise the pen raised birds for game farms but those birds just aren't the same. I would love to be able to hunt like it was in the old days when I was young. Just a couple more years till I'm retired and able to do just that. Dan

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I didn't click the thread, but I read it was started by a dentist who traveled to China and brought some back, way back in 1868.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.