1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

History of P/W loader and there progression??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by himark, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a 950 Elite and was also looking at a 900 that was very comparable. I am very confused on which models were first between the 800 series, 2000, and the older 900/950's. I am curious of which ones were first and what the changes are that they made to progress to new series?

2. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Also a heads up on which ones to stay away from would be good. I have another friend that may be looking to buy the 900 model one from a guy here but he is concerend that its a dead horse for some reason un-beknownst to us.

3. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Stubs, are you from Alaska? I think I shot with you at the Inland Empire two years ago. BRGII

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Not having troubles with one but want to know the differences in models to see what changes they have made and weigh the benefits of the newer models vs old.

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have a 800B and a 900 both are great machines I don't know about the new ones but like mine enough not to think of trading up. I did get the new large hoppers and shovel handles for both and they seem to be able to take all the upgrades now available. I consider them to be the diesels of re loaders after they are set up properly they just keep on going. I will add that after using them for a period of time you get a feeling when pulling the handle as when everything feels right. I'm a born tinkerer and these machines are precision instruments and when set up properly are a joy to use. I do not shoot just to reload but do enjoy it more than I should I think it is the stereo system in my garage and piece and quiet out there. Hope this helps
    Buddy

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The old 800s were earliest of those mentioned. The 900 series was next. I believe the main difference between the 900 and 950 was that (I think) the 950 had the shell holders as opposed to the dies. The 2000 was next and they had a number of improvements. A big one was the removable die system. The new 800 plus has the advantage of a very fast gauge change system compared to the 2000 and other machines. The 2000 and 800+ are the current models. Bill Malcolm

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Progression of PW: OK-----Bad----worse thn Bad-----back to OK!!!!

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info!!!

9. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

800B, 800C, 900, 950, 2000, 2000 Elite, 800+

Ed Yanchok

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

History of P/W Reloaders as I know it:

First, I did not come on to the scene of trapshooting until 1974. At that time I had luckily won a substantial amount of cash at the '74 Grand and then bought my first one. I have been with them, and others from time-to-time, but have stayed with P/W. I have owned a Spolar or two as well, Mec's, and Hornaday's.

The first P/W I heard about was the 600, but, as mentioned above, it was before my time. Some of the often sold used 800B's are at least 35 years old.

800B<BR>
    800C - some had plastic Rack Gears & Plastic Primer Seating Assemblies<BR>
    800CVT - often called the "Convertible"<BR>
    900<BR>
    900 Elite - "Elite" just means some extras<BR>
    950 & 950 Elite - these did NOT replace the 900, but introduced a short 1" shell holder in lieu of the dies, which was not a popular item, no longer available<BR>
    Platinum 2000 - up-scale version of the 900<BR>
    Platinum 2000 & Elite - w/Grivory (replaced aluminum turret with Grivory plastic - not my favorite)<BR>
    800 Plus - upgraded version of their claim-to-fame, 800 series (my favorite)

Some of you out there may have older models you may wish to comment on.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor - Parts, Sales, Rebuilds

11. BustClays

BustClays Member

I bought my 800 Plus from Whiz White, great machine and a good guy to deal with.

bustclays

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Invented right here in the town I live in. Eugene, Oregon. Jeff

13. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I bought an 800B in in Denver in 1972. Still using it with no upgrades (yet). Lots of shells. Quarter million registered targets plus many thousands of others and, probable, 80% loaded on it. Never broken. Never a problem. I bought a MEC 9000H at the Grand one year. Never liked it. Used it very little before selling. Jimmy Borum

14. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Stay away from the 600. I had a 600B for many years, loaded thousands of shells on it and loved it, but it hasn't been supported by P-W for at least fifteen years. the most vulnerable part, the charging ring, was the first to go as they broke the mold (accidentally).

It was a great loader for those of us with lower needs, and especially for anyone coming up from a 375, as it was on the same base and bolted into the same holes. But you can't get parts any more, and that makes it useless unless you can make your own.

And I'll second the recommendation for Whiz White. Great dealer, great service, great assistance. Nobody better, including IMO P-W itself.

Tony

15. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Whizwhite...
    Thank you for the reply this is the answer I was looking for. This forum has a wealth of knowledge that is for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.