1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

History of Krieghoff Shotguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BDodd, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There has been a number of inquiries here about where the Rem. 32, the Krieghoff guns, and the Rem. 3200 all fit in the scheme of things. Some explanations have been pretty accurate, others way off base but if anyone is interested enough, there's a really nice article in the December 2008 issue of Sporting Clays Magazine which serves as the official magazine for the NSCA, that at least covers the acquisition by Krieghoff to resume building the Model 32 after WW II with a nod from Remington, the timing of improvements, in the M. 32, and the beginning of the K-80 line. It does not cover the Rem. 3200 since that has no bearing on the Krieghoff guns while the K. models DID certainly come to exist from the original Rem. 32.

Sporting Clays Magazine - WWW.SportingClays.net - 317 S. Washington Ave., Suite 201, Titusville, FL, 32796

Bob Dodd

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My favorite historical Krieghoff is the WWII FG42. (Rheinmetall above, Kriegfhoff below.)

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- I do not get or read the sporting clays magazine. Could you give us a short abstract?

Pat Ireland

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Just for you, Pat; how 'bout a sort of time line:

The Rem. 32, of course, was the beginning of the saga, released in 1932 (clever name eh?) and was particularly unique in the the sliding top lock. After World War II ended, the Russians took control of E. Germany and Heinrich Krieghoff chose to escape to the West and settled in Ulm near the Austrian border. It was there that he set up a small factory to make sporting arms.

Around the mid-50s Heinrich was approached by Bascom Lotspeich, a live pigeon shooter, who encouraged Heinrich to manufacture the Rem. model 32 which had been suspended before WWII. The author says, "Hal duPont told me that Remington had not renewed the patents on it's model 32 but eventually duPont had Remington write a letter saying it was OK for Krieghoff to make the Krieghoff model 32."

When Krieghoff began manufacturing the M.32 exactly the same as the Remington, another live pigeon shooter, Donnie Donaldson, convinced Krieghoff and Lotspeich to design a new trigger for the gun. They spent some $15,000 to have a new design made and the manufacturer of that design was Miller Triggers in Pennsylvania. Miller triggers were famous at that time.

It is belived the first Krieghoff M.32 was produced in 1955 and continued production was very limited. "The first 400 Krieghoff 32s produced had the Remington trigger, but they were retrofitted with the new Miller-designed trigger at no cost." The author says around 1960 duPont got his MBA from college and began shooting clays around the country and he, "...even made a contract to sell all the Krieghoffs that came into the [U.S.], and he maintained that contract until the K-80 was introduced in 1980." The author continues, "Even then, [duPont] held the contract to sell all the Krieghoffs that came into the country, but he evidently relented in return for his Krieghoff distributorship all over the southern U.S."

Dieter Krieghoff moved to the U.S. in 1980 to start up what now is known as Krieghoff International. His father had taken over the business in 1970. The author states, "The Krieghoff model 32 was never a monumental seller nor was it intended to be. The idea was to make a precision over-under that could ... stand the tough test of time, ...to withstand the tortures of 10s of thousands of rounds. These days there are hundreds of model 32 Krieghoffs and K-80s that have been shot well over 100,000 times."

The author goes on to describe the sliding top lock being the most obvious similarity between the Rem. and K. guns and that both 32s and K-80s continue to sport mechanical triggers. He explains that Krieghoff doesn't introduce new guns regularly that have improvements, the improvements are simply added to the guns currently made. He points out the K-80 now has been on the market longer than the M.32 before the introduction of the K-80. He discusses the main difference in the two models is the fact that the K-80 was introduced and continues to sport receivers made of hardened metal.

There is further discussion of when skeet, 4 barrel sets, and so on were introduced and more on engraving but I've used enough space here to cover the beginnings of Krieghoff shotguns we admire.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Thanks for the interesting article & photos. Did Krieghoff make the 9mm Lugers?

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I don't recall any mention of Mel Hunting in the piece, Pat. After the K-80 was introduced, of course, there were more than just Hal duPont in the picture but I'm assuming all new guns coming here go through Krieghoff International to dealers to you and me....Bob Dodd

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

The first K-80s that came into this country were indeed imported by Mel Hunting of Huntings Gun Shop in Belmead NJ, later of Whitehouse NJ.

Ed Yanchok

8. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

That's a beauty

Ed Yanchok

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Another side note. When I bought my K-80 Remington was making the 3200 and because of some Patent problem, Kreighoff could not identify themselves as the manufacturer of my gun. The manufacturer of my gun, as stamped on the barrel, is Shotguns of Ulm.

Pat Ireland

10. james25889

james25889 Member

The best i can remember my father told me the first k80 in the united states went to Kay Ohye and that my father Jerry Wilkerson shot the first one in competion. It was kay's gun my dad used in a shootoff after his gun broke.
    James Wilkerson

11. TigerMyrtle

TigerMyrtle Member

Pat: The reason you have a barrel marked "Shotguns of Ulm" was not a patent problem as I recall but a marketing one. Hal DuPont had a lock on the marketing of Krieghoff shotguns sold in the U.S. My guess is that Dieter Krieghoff said "O.K., I'll just sell the same thing without using the Krieghoff name" to get around the exclusivity problem and therfore the Shotguns of Ulm name was used. I purchased a new barrel during the cross over for either $700 or $800 with the same markings that fit a San Remo K-32. Those were the good old days!
    Eric Schmidt

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    MIA, no not mine. I wish they were. A transferable FG42 costs more than any trap gun you can imagine.

13. shootem

shootem TS Member

Back in 1964, while at a Skeet shoot, I met a man by the name of Leo Darroch. At that time he was shooting a Krieghoff. I had seen, time after time, a little 2"x2" advertisement in the Skeet Shooting Review of a gun called "The Fastest Gun" which was the Krieghoff. I was admiring Mr. Darroch's Krieghoff and he offered to let me shoot it but I declined although I did handle it and shouldered it at Mr Darroch's prompting.

I immediately decided then and there that I had to have one as most people back then never even heard of the gun. I therefore contacted a Mr. Bascom Lotspeich at Europa in Florida and with my FFL I purchased, in 1965, a San Remo skeet gun for the price of $480 dealer discount. At the time retail was $600. Compare that to today's price on a San Remo. The shooters at my local gun club made fun of my San Remo as they had never seen one. Years later as the model 32 became more well known they all had to have one. I was the FIRST in my area to have one.

DuPont then took over Europa Corp. around 1966 and the prices immediately began to rise on all models to what they are today. Unfortunately I sold my 32 to a Robert Rodale who, in his day, was a top notch skeet shooter in both domestic and International skeet shooting. He served on several International teams. He and his family were from Emmaus Pa. and were the publishers of "Prevention" magazine. Sadly Bob was killed in an auto accident in Russia.

Oh, and by the way if you do not know Mr. Leo Darroch, who has passed away, by name perhaps the name Kenneth Darroch may ring a bell as he was an All-American trap shooter many times and still is a very good shooter. Leo was Kenneth's father.

14. fenoc

fenoc Member

Dear Shootem,

Please contact me at darroch2107@comcast.net. You are talking about my father in your thread & I am curious on what gun club you were at when you talked to him. Ken Darroch

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought my first one in 1965, list price 395,plus 20 more for extra stock, s/n 21xx.
    I still have a hanging tag from Europa Corp. for a 28" skeet gun, price $400.
    What am I offered???

16. englishupland

englishupland Member

Who sells that magazine?

Borders?

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Todd, I can photocopy the article and send it to you. Bulge.

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Englishupland, the publishing info is on my original post....breakemall....Bob Dodd

19. shark1

shark1 Member

Who is Mel huntinng? my K80 was imported by him. Just wondering.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Mel Hunting and son Glen were long time importers for Krieghoff K-guns. They also were the original factory authorized warranty repair center for those guns. Mel has retired to Fla. and lives peacefully at the Silver Dollar while continuing some repair work. Glen has followed in his fathers footsteps and maintains a loyal following for general repairs on most guns.

The 'dawg worked part time at the New Jersey facility and accumulated some of the vast knowledge possessed by those two talented individuals!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
history of krieghoff shotguns
krieghoff history
krieghoff shotgun wiki

krieghoff shotguns

krieghoff shotguns wikipedia
krieghoff wiki
shotguns of ulm
what does ulm mean on k80