1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

History of Greener trap conversion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vatrap, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vatrap

vatrap Member

I'm trying to find any info on this gun, it's in the St. Louis area.

It has a 34 in Remington barrel and it looks like a straight 1100 trap stock and forearm,

if anyone recognizes this gun or has any info on it, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,

Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

About ten years ago a guy in Indiana was putting guns like this together and selling them . I have seen four or five and all of them shot poorly as in low-right-left . He was buying the Actions and doing most of the work himself . The ribs were very poor . The thing was a novelty at best .

Your find may be defferent but look at it closely before buying .

ALF

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Greener Built a falling block trap gun it was a WW Greener, Donald Van Brimmer
    of Delaware Ohio had or has one, he shot it very well.

Built by a guy in Indiana don't know, maybe, maybe not.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The action is a Greener Police gun, used in India in Colonial times. They had a shotgun shell that had a stepdown in the length of the tube, so if the gun was stolen, regular 12 ga. ammo didn't work.

I had an acquaintance that bored the chamnber out of one and shot trap with it.

The rest of yours looks like a morsel of hangover genius. (no offense intended)

HM

5. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

An old shooter from here shot a Greener for several years. It was well made, a trap model and strong as a vault. Bud never sold any of his guns, that I know of and had a lot of guns. He recently died and I have wondered what happened to his collection. He had no children. Jimmy Borum

6. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Some interesting shotguns here including Greener. There is also a very unique one by Charles Sparrow Young. I suspect it is very rare. Jimmy Borum

7. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Interesting, and some very expensive, guns at the above website including a boxlock Greener SXS. How about a $120,000.00 Parker.

[​IMG]

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

JB just reminded me of a couple I watched at the grand in Vandalia shooting these guns. Both were long yardage Texas shooters and both were vaporising clays! The lady was on crutches but that didn't interfere with her crushing clays with her gun! Hap

9. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi mike, there was an instructor at the colorado school of trades in lakewood, colorado, when i was there that ran the shotgun department who built and shot greener shotguns he converted ( i graduated in march of 1979).very simular to the ones in your picts but made to be takedown. i have one i converted in school still around here. i remember the weak point being getting a good trigger on the gun. the one i built i sweated the choke into the barrel (before screw chokes). i has a simmons rib. srong actions. fun to shoot. doug hubbart

10. vatrap

vatrap Member

I saw an old guy vaporizing targets with a greener like the one below targets

when I first started shooting. He would not sell it then, but I have always

wanted one. Even if it has to be rebuilt, I think it will make a fun project.

If anyone else has one or any pictures of one, I'd like to see them, just for reference.

Thanks,

Mike

[​IMG]

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

We had a past shooter that built one and I believe he would have sold it. It was hard for me to load and eject the shell. Seemed I could bo it better if I turned it upside down. Also seems he said his was a whale / seal on some type gun action. His heirs may still have it.

Also a gentleman in West Texas, I believe was Raymond XXXXXXX whom I bought trap gun from, also had one.

Ray.......

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

There were several of these guns converted to trap with vent ribs back in the 1960's I had a 30 inch one GP Greener Martini actions. They are built like a tank a falling block design liked to shoot it until I went to a release.

13. vatrap

vatrap Member

It came in Friday, so of course I had to go shoot it Saturday at the club.

Weighs 7 1/2 pounds and even with the 34" barrel it was light and fast. Broke the first 5, so that's a good sign.

The barrel is actually a "34" 1100 Duck/Goose barrel, so it's tight choked and flat shooting. Patterns straight and about 60/40 for me. It has an 1100 straight trap stock and it figure 8s the beads right out of the box.

It actually has a unique way to attach the forearm to the barrel as seen below;
    a machined adapter fits through the magazine tube attachment and a forend nut with a bolt welded in and machined off flat.

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view¤t=attachmentinbarrel2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view¤t=GreenerAction.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Mike

14. vatrap

vatrap Member

Nope, has an o ring on the adapter, just like an 1100.

Vents through the forearm, just like an 1100.

Mike

15. vatrap

vatrap Member

Just a quick update on the Greener/Martini trap gun.
    I talked B.D. Wood (an excellent machinist and good shooter) into making a solid brass weight that added a little over a pound to the overall weight of the gun.

Won a couple winter fun shoot (Jap trap, trap house birds from the skeet stations, if we're still tied after that back another 10 yards to the trees behind the trap line.) events with it, really breaks targets out to 60 yards or so.

I got Ernest Marlette to tune up the trigger and now it breaks clean at 3.5 pounds.

I'm having so much fun with it, I may try to have a custom trap gun built an the Martini action over the winter. Maybe a Hastings target crusher barrel and PFS stock?

Mike

16. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

The Couple from texas that both shot Greeners built by Art Godfrey, were Lanny and Candy Roberts of El Paso, He passed away in 2000. and Candy quit shooting . I bought both of their Greeners. and I couldn't shoot them worth a flip.
    Bob Roberts

17. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Navy Arms imported factory made Greener trap guns in the 60's--early 70's. I've seen maybe 1/2 dozen for sale over the years. They were well built, interesting guns with 30 inch vent rib, full choke barrels.

18. vatrap

vatrap Member

Bob,

Could you post a couple of pictures if you still have them?

I saw one for sale last winter at a local gun show, the tag was $1800, and the gun looked like it had never been fired, but the guy manning the table had no idea what the gun was for, he thought it was for card shooting.

The 30" barrels feel a little short, but they do look nice.

Mike

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob, I'm assuming this may be a relative? I understand one not being able to shoot another's gun too. Are you saying the guns didn't shoot good or that you just couldn't shoot them?

I think the lady on crutches smoked a good percentage of her shots that she did hit, the guy was breaking some and smoking some. I watched because I'd never seen that kind of gun before. I thought at the time they may have been an English version of some sort.

I too would love seeing pictures of your guns? Thanks.

Hap

20. aussiebob

aussiebob TS Member

Bob

Interested in these guns, would you be interested in selling them.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

full-rib greener gp

greener action trapshooting guns
greener gp barrel thread

greener gp custom

greener gp custom stock
greener martini takedown
greener shotgun martini action trap
greener trap gun