1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

History channels Exhibition Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I watched this show yesterday and it was great the skill/ talent of some people is amazing. In the shotgun show they showed the old Remington and Winchester pros and todays top shooters Tom Knapp and others. Watching them shoot I was impressed with the guns used the old pros used pumps and autos and the new pros also used pumps and autos. After seeing the results it made me realize the best value in a shot gun is a pump or auto seeing them break 7 or 8 clays at once with an auto is mind numbing in its speed and accuracy. After seeing the best shooters ever I first thought just empty the gun safe in the drive and drive the truck over them all. After coming to my senses I just decided to dig in the back and break out my old pumps and autos and enjoy their ability to shoot so well for their own designs at such a reasonable price. Yes I know about it's the Indian and not the arrow but the sound of a pump shucking and a auto rapid firing has just been renewed in my things that I enjoy so just go shuck a pump or shoot a triple or better with a auto. I hope the rerun the show for those who missed it it was so well done any shooter would love this show. In closing it all started years ago when I used to sometimes smell a fired maroon paper Federal shell. Anyone know a good cure?

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I don't figure I ever had a gun that couldn't shoot better than I could, so its got to be the shells ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. checker

checker Member

UnCurable....Try a Tom Knapp gun....Benelli Auto
    Get that Model 12 out.....hard to beat one. Got a few Perazzi's and Cole SBT....don't shoot them much better that my old M 12 field gun that I put Trap Stock on long ago (too many Birthdays may be factor too??)...."Beware of the One Gun Man"

[​IMG]

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Most of the shells shot today in trap are SINGLES..either from the 16..or back to the 27 yard line.. Do something as simple as put a Remington 870.. Remington 1100..Beretta 391.. Benelli.. and BT-99 on a trapline.. to shoot 75,000 shells.. and see what makes it to the finish line..

All pumps and especiaaly auto's need to be cleaned properly.. and regularly..That is a dwindling task for the trapshooters of today..AND.. the death of reliability.. Ask any shooter of a Remington 1100.or 390/391 Beretta.. There are parts that break.. These parts are alot harder to repair than a spring for a Perazzi trigger group..

Now.. when one shoots a gun that cost $5000 or more.. it's not a real hardship to pay $150..every year or two for a proper cleaning and inspection..If the gun only cost $600.. that would rarely happen.. These guys who shoot for a living have the factory taking their gun apart every few thousand rounds to make SURE..it will function 110%.. first time.. everytime..

Your competitive shooters do the same..with excellent results.. But.. Joe average shooter will shoot it.. wiping off the outside.. put it back in the case.. and finally complain when it ceases to fire 100% of the time..

Just my worthless .02 cents.. All Good.. Mike

5. RJ

RJ TS Member

This show had been no before several times now. I try to watch it when it comes on because there is always something I can and do get out of it. Tom Knapp has been in the hospital because of a throat condition or something of that order. Tim Bradly and others had been doing most of his shows on the tube. Tim Bradly is almost as good a shot as Tom Knapp is. But he still has a little way to go. He is a very good showman as well. I haven't heard any update on Tom Knapp but I'm sure all our heart felts go out to him. And a hope for a speedy recovery. Need him back doing what he does best and that is being the great showman he is. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I watch the shows and they're entertaining but I don't think there is a shot they do that I couldn't pull off with less than a days practice.

7. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

Mike makes a good point, but with the 1100, maintence is easy parts are cheap and you can allways just swap ot parts or buy anouther 1100 and swap barrel and wood. They are just fine as long as they are taken care of however I've seen them where they were not cleaned in years and all gummed up.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Tom Knapp must have recovered well, he was just here at Twin falls a couple weeks ago and put on a show

9. RJ

RJ TS Member

Great to here hes back on the cirtuit. He really is a great shooter and not with just a shotgun of anykind but also with a 22 rifle. Don't know about his hand gun experence. Just seen his abilities with the 22 rifle and shotgun. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

10. STOS

STOS Member

Tim Bradley is going to be putting on an exhibition at our local club here in Hayden Idaho on the 19th of June.I will also be doing a reloading clinic for those who are new to the sport.Bruce P/W Sales.

11. bbourdage

bbourdage Member

Tom is currently in Italy for a bunch of shows. He is doing great and back on the circuit. He is NOT shooting for Benelli any more. He is freelance, spread the word, he has been doing some charity events, and is available for shows.

His shooting is amazing, both shotgun and rifle.

He can be reached at tom@tomknapp.net

Barry

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Rich219 that was so funny I love a good sense of humor.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

So Benelli did let Tom go when he was down and out!!! I think that we should all show Benelli what we think of THEM for letting Tom go when he was sick and could not do his shows. Do I hear BOYCOTT ANYONE!!! I am glad he is back up and doing alright without them as well. Break-em all. Jeff

14. bbourdage

bbourdage Member

Federal stood by him, and really did the right thing in my book. Benelli tried to do a little political spin, but most people can read passed it. the problem is that you do not see a lot of Benelli's at trap shoots. I do not think a boycott would make a difference. But letters, E-Mails, and post's on this web site, and other web sites, would probably light some fires.

Tom did a lot for making Benelli a household name, it is a shame that they did not support him and his family when he needed it.

Keep an eye out for events that would be a great venue for Tom, he is doing a lot of Corporate and Charity gigs, and he is not spouting the Benelli gear, or name.

Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.