1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hiroshima Day....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff P, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Today is, if I'm not mistaken, the 62nd anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. August 9 is the anniversary of Nagasaki, and the Japanese surrendered 6 days after that.

Here's a heartfelt "thanks" to all those who served in WWII, from a guy who only made it to Bosnia. Hardly comparative, LOL.

There's fewer and fewer of these Veterans alive every day. They tell fascinating stories - a firsthand historical account, and we should surely appreciate them while they're still among us.

And even more so when the last one passes. They must not be forgotten.

jeff

2. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

jeff p, I agree with you on thanking the WW2 vets, and from one vet to another thank you for serving our country, and making it home from Bosnia.

Tom R.

PS. To all the vets out there, war time, or peace time, be proud, we served, and thank you.

3. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

A good day to salute what Tom Brokaw has called "The Greatest Generation". Hats off to those guys. Dad served in the Navy, Uncle Bob was killed at the Battle of the Bulge, and Uncle Rodger led a sqaudron of P-51s on 50 missions against the Japanese in China.

Just ordinary young men doing what was required of them, they're all gone now -

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Amen to that.

That's my Dad, standing, third from left.

Spent his 22nd birthday in a POW camp in Barth, Germany after (I think) 24 missions flying out of England.

5. Msuhunter

Msuhunter Member

Bless all those that served in that great war. The only problem since then is we should have dropped about a dozen more at various parts of the world.

6. joshif

joshif TS Member

Amen,to the GREATEST Generation, God bless all of you! Now we need the second Greatest! Turn the sand into glass! Fug'em and Fry 'em!

7. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Just another thanks to those who posted the pics.

Those flyers thought it was the right thing to do, and did it.

It was.

8. boneman

boneman TS Member

There shouldn't even be a Hiroshima day, they started it we finished it. I'm sorry that so many people died on our side not the least bit concerned about the Japanese. I know that after Okiniwa my father was glad that two bombs ended the war. God bless all that generation. Thank you for your time. Larry

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...Boneman, I don't think it's really CALLED Hiroshima day, officially.

I just remembered what day it was...and couldn't think of a better way to name a thread to draw attention to what happened yesterday, 63 years ago, and thank the folks that did it. So it's my fault, I guess....

jeff

10. boneman

boneman TS Member

Your right but when I read in the paper yesterday on the front page about remembering Hiroshima and yet there was a section way in the back when d-day time came around it just miffs me. We should never forget and we should never honor the countries that started this terrible time. No fault I think it was a great thread. It gave me a chance to rant about something I feel strongly about. So thank you Jeff. Larry

11. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Did anyone watch the special on HBO yesterday about the effects of the bombs dropped? Pretty eye opening when you think that compared to today's standard, those bombs would be considered "weak". What a devastating effect.

But, like it was mentioned prior, I think America's hand was forced and respond we did.

A sincere thanks goes out to ALL the veterans that served this great country.

12. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

SShooterZ,

Yes, I caught the special on HBO last night. Unfortunately, it will probably lead more people to the opinion that the US was wrong in dropping the bomb. For each survivor of the bombings that was interviewed, I'd have like to have seen an American, Chinese, Korean, and Austrialian survivor of the things Japan did, interviewed to keep things in balance.

~Michael

13. zanaidoo

zanaidoo TS Member

Just be thankful that we had it to drop and not the Axis, they were working on that project long before our government stepped in. Our Vets need to be remembered, for without them we would not be here to remember them. Thank you all sisters and brothers, thank you all.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

One of my pals' Dad survived the Bataan Death march. He was a near lifeless husk when he came home, and it took years for him to get a little better. He never really recovered.

I have no guilt feelings about nuking Japan.

HM

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

And then the fag liberal pussies, seeing that the hard work was accomplished, started taking over.

Industry, finding out wars that you don't win are much more profitable than wars you do, went along with the game.

which brings us to the point where the enemy gets more rights than US citizens.

god bless the WW2 vets. And the commanders who did it right.

HM

16. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Amen HM. It should be called "don't screw with America day".

17. AAleadvail27

AAleadvail27 TS Member

Good thing we just dropped two bomb's . A lot of you wouldn't have shotguns to shoot trap with .

18. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Truman's war beancounters gave him 2 casualty numbers charts to defeat Japan.

Option 1: Invade Japan mainland must be done. Expect 1 million US casualties to achieve objective.

Option 2: Drop the bomb. No American casualities Japan surrenders. Drop a second to show the Russians we have more than one.

Truman made the right choice.

God Bless all the troops, past and present!!!! In fact God Bless us all!!!!

19. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

The only problem I have with dropping the bombs is that its a damn shame we didn't have them a year earlier. Would have saved a lot of American lives in Europe and the Pacific.

Jim

20. IM390

IM390 Member

I wonder how many people know that a few weeks before Germany surrendered they launched a secret submarine that was to be sent to Japan. It contained several hundred pounds of fissionable uranium. I don't kniow all the details but Allied warships did capture it and towed it into New York Harbor and the German crew refused to talk about their cargo. Both Germany and Japan were within weeks of developing a nuclear bomb.. Germany had the uranium and Japan had the bomb making technology. I read that if Germany had tried to make a bomb they would have fried their own scientists in the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.