1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hip Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BenelliM2, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

I tryed this hip shooting thing about a month ago(on a trap field) at our local club (Fennville),once I hit my first bird I was hooked! Now I am starting to get better,has anybody tryed this? Is there anyone who was known to be good at this? Just curious to know.

Jordan Dekker,FRGC Member

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You mean like this????

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Pheasantmaster is pretty good at it.

4. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

Are "BACK DOOR" is maybe 35-37 yds.away from the trap house,3/5 is my best from the hip, I have yet to shoot a whole round that way but it will soon be done.

Jordan ,FRGC Member

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I HAVE BROKEN 20 OUT OF 25 FROM 30 YARDS

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

We gotta a guy at the local club who got bored shooting regular skeet because he shot a straight every time so he started shooting from the hip. Then he got bored shooting from the hip, now he shoots trap. Took him almost 6 or 7 months to make it to the 27. LOL He hasn't got bored shooting trap, yet. Can't wait till he gets bored to see how he shoots trap from the hip. LOL

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

When your head is up your Arse.....your shoulder is closer to your hip!

BTW, watched Frank Hoppe grab a gun he had never shot and do it. Impressive.

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

I,ve watched Lee Jordan(Evansville,Ind) bust clays from the hip from 45 and 50 yards behind the traphouse.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'd rather shoot trap than hips.

Hauxfan!

10. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

There is an old timer at our club Don Hiltz that has ran 25 from the hip at the skeet range...

Like anything else it's just a matter of practice..Check out Patrick Flanigan from Winchester....He just set a world record hitting 9 clay targets thrown without assistance from the hip....

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I shot a deer in the hip. Put it right down. It didn't move, but it needed a 'coup de grace'. Ruined a lot of meat.

12. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Jerry Grimes of Michigan does it very well. 81 years old.

Mike

13. Lostbyone

Lostbyone TS Member

14. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Scott Robertson (Beretta Pro) broke 25 straight skeet targets from the hip while riding a bicycle with NO hands on the handlebars at the 2008 Grand in front of a big crowd.

For those old Elliotts Shooting Park regulars, remember Howard Hefley? Shot all registered and practice targets from the hip...pigeons also. Never saw him shoot a shotgun from the shoulder! He could get his limit of ducks the same way.

milt

15. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

When I was young I saw one old guy shoot a straight at skeet with a .410 from the HIP. Not the tit, not the belly , but from the HIP. I started shooting my .22 like the rifleman (Chuck Conners) from the hip about 9yrs. old and by the time I was 14 I could hit most anything for the HIP. (below the belt) Unlike most I shot hundreds of rds a week. We would shoot dragonflys on the wing with .22s. Now all I can shoot is my mouth off.

16. KaboK80

KaboK80 TS Member

I watched Kay Ohye do it at a clinic, not only shot the bird from the hip but also a piece from the hip with a second shot to make it a little more interesting.

17. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

We had a labor day shoot at the club and I figured it was about time to try a full round of 25 from the hip (16yd.) we didn't keep score but i got around 15,first hip shot was exactly a month ago today.

Practice,Practice,Practice!

Jordan Dekker FRGC, Member

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Maybe you should join SASS. More you're style.

19. PapCharlie

PapCharlie Member

This fellow is lucky at it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFyaL67TiEg

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not much good at shooting clays out of the air from the hip but I do pretty good at 'can racing' with pistols fired from the hip. I suspect it is all a matter of practice and I'm much more likely to waste a few hundred rounds of .22 rimfire rolling cans around the desert than I am to hip shoot trap targets when a clay target plus a shotshell will cost $0.40 a go.

Still I gotta admire the shotgunners with that skill level. All good fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.