1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hip Replacement ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gsdesign46, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsdesign46

gsdesign46 Member

Fellow shooters, I am having a total left hip replacement on Monday the 26th. I know that everyone recovers at their own pace, but, I am wondering if some of you can respond with about how long it took you to get back out to the range and resume shooting. Thank you, Greg

2. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

Right hip 5 months, had problems with knee. Left hip 11 days with a walker drinking beer at my favorite bar. Henry

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The hip is the easiest of them all. A lot of docs don't even prescribe any physical therapy.

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I had a total replacement on my left hip 3 years ago. I was 53 at the time, and it was the best decision I ever made. I had the surgery at 5 pm, and I was up and walking with a walker at 10 am the next morning. Hospital stay was 5 days. I used the walker for 3-4 days, chucked it for a cane, and used the cane for about 2-3 weeks.

The device I got was made by Smith and Nephew, and it was put in place with an anterior approach. Just a small 5" scar on my thigh near my hip area. It's important to do the physical therapy religiously. I rode my wife's new motorcycle home from the dealer about 3 weeks after the procedure(probably pushing my luck, but everything went OK). I shot a round of sporting clays about 5 weeks after the surgery, followed by a round of trap on the same day.

Look into the anterior approach method. It is minimally invasive, and recovery is quicker. Don't get me wrong, it's no cake walk, but with therapy and excercise, you will be 100% in no time. One caveat...no running. Walking is good! Good luck and a speedy recovery to you.

5. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

About my hip replacement post. I was in a pretty bad motorcycle wreck last April. I was stopped to make a right turn when this kid rear ended me at 60 mph. My back was fractured in 2 places and my right leg was broken. I had my artificial hip joint checked out as a precaution, abd it sustained absoultely no damage. I'm impressed with the ruggedness of the Smith and Nephew device.

I should also mention that I'm an oilfield plant operator, and some days I walk a lot in the course of my job. I work 12 hour shifts for 7 days, and my hip never gives me any trouble. My poor broken back is another story!

6. gsdesign46

gsdesign46 Member

Thank you guys for your responces so far. 22 Hornet, I hope your back gets better soon.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Greg ... much is going to depend on you age and physical condition.

I had my right hip replaced when I was 57 and in top physical shape ... no physical therapy and was shooting less than a month later.

At 74 had my left hip replaced and did the full PT course and was working and shooting 6 weeks later.

Remember ... old geezers need the PT, and they don't heal as fast!

8. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Hips are advertised easier than knees, I had 2 kness in 2008 and a hip in 2010.

The hip seemed to more problematic and I had been in the gym a couple of years following the knees, a couple of months working hard you should be pretty good, preop exercises will help.You wont be able to bend for 6 months, and very careful after that.

Couple goodie items, a soft but sturdy chair I built a 2x4 u shaped base and nailed it good to chair got it 5" higher easier to get up.Staples was only 70.00 or less?

Theres a plastic shoe tree looking sock installer on a rope works great again you cant bend past 60 degrees.

Last a 3-4' griper (picker) with a handel like the old grocery store used to take the cans off of shelves, you may not be old enough,
    LOL
    Good luck

Pete

9. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I think the recovery time varies a lot..many variables. I always heard that a hip replacement was easier to recover from that a knee replacement. Did not work that way for me. I had both knees replaced then my hip. It took me longer to recover from the hip replacement. Good luck--hope yours is a easy one..
    As others have said..do the rehab..no cheating...SMOKIT

10. Glockamole

Glockamole Member

I've had 3 hip replacements with the first at age 38 and the most recent at age 54. Current technolgy is much better with the minimally invasive procedure resulting in a much faster recovery period. The key is to follow rehab/physical therapy requirements and follow all precautions. Sleep will be a little rough for the first week or two. Sleeping in the recliner was the ticket for me. I was off of the crutches and cane within about 4 weeks and driving as well.

Some good advice from my surgeon..... "Everyone recovers at a different pace and remember that you are not on a schedule".

Good luck.

Mike in Texas

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I might be the oldest hip transplant in the country. Left hip done in '76. 36 years and still going strong. the original glued in model. I was out of the hospital in about 3 days and I had to cheat the thermometer with ice to get out. Had the other hip done 10 years later and was out of the hospital the next day, back to work on a crutch on the 4th day and started my shooting career (a what?) the following year. Never had therapy on either hip. As I recall I was pretty much normal after about 2-3 months.

piece of cake.

12. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

My Brother had both Hips replaced a few years ago ok he was probably 50 when the first one was replaced and 6 weeks later he had the other one replaced ok he said he feels a lot better now I know he was in a lot of pain in the past it hurt me to even watch him walk in the past.

But as I said he had both done within a 6 week period ok it was done in Nashville TN.
    Foggy!

13. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

I had my left hip replaced 7 years ago. When it was over I was kicking myself in the butt for not doing it sooner. I was out shooting trap and ice fishing with friends 5 weeks later. It was great not having the pain I was dealing with for so long. I went to therapy for a couple of months and never looked back.

I had the right hip done last October at 59 years old by a different Dr. that used a different method from the first. 46 hours after leaving the recovery room, I was home in my comfy chair with the family. No therapy needed. Two days later I was walking 1/2 a mile plus with a walker. In 1 week I was using a cane and 3 weeks post surgery I was free walking. Four weeks after the operation I was in a tree for the Western NY Deer opener.

I had spinal block instead of general anesthesia for both surgeries. If your DR can do it for you go for it. Recovery time is much shorter.
    Good Luck.

14. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Hip replacements have come a long way, especially when they perform an anterior access replacement. My wife had both hips replaced a year apart and spent a little more than 24 hours in the hospital both times.

She was walking with a walker as soon as I got her home, never took any pain pills and was using a cane within 3 days. Now she's back to her regular exercise regigm of long walks. No PT needed.

Of course she was in great shape to begin with, is slim and loves to exercise despite being 69 years old.

It is different for each person. If you are a large, overweight man who doesn't exercise then you are going to need more time.

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Greg, a speedy recovery !

16. gsdesign46

gsdesign46 Member

Thanks again for all of your input. I am so ready to be pain free, or a heck of a lot better than I am feeling right now. I can't wait to get back out on the line and bust some clays. Greg

17. deadnout

deadnout Member

good luck on your hip replacement. i had my left knee replaced 2 yrs ago. they say the hip replacement is easier then the knee and recovery time is quicker. it took about a yr to get back to normal for my knee. best thing i ever done besides marrying my wife. now i need the right knee done. again good luck and a speedy recovery.

18. gsdesign46

gsdesign46 Member

Well, the hip replacement surgery went great!! Now on to rehab and back out shooting. Thank you all.

19. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

Good News. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

20. new loader

new loader Member

Who did the surgery and where?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how long to resume sporting clays after total hip replacement