1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HIP PAIN & MEDS+chriopractor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am having hip pain very bad, tried staying off it for 3 days, finally went to Chriopractor, he pulled, tugged, squeezed, pressed, ultra sound, twice on one day several hours apart, went back this morning same thing, but my doctor prescribed MILOXOPAN generic for MOBIC this raised my heart rate and blood pressure from 120/70-72 HR to 145/105-111-HR, I tried ALEVE before but that changed my INR as I am on COUMADIN because of heart valve replacement, CHIRO says I have one disc compressed and pinching nerve, he is trying to get a space back between them, says I have some possible bone surs/arthritis combined, can hardly lay in bed, leg pain, hip pain from back radiating to groin, down leg and getting shin splint pain, have been in Jacquizzi tub here at home twice for 15 minutes at a time, but to day my knee gave out on me when I got out of car and fell down. I have no pain when I sit, and can walk about 45 steps w/no pain then WHAM the pain is back. I need a MUSCLE, this has been going on over week now, cannot shoot buddy shoots, managed to shoot one Friday night good thing we won it outright so we did not have to shootoff, couldn not have walked for it.

What have you done w/hip pain, what meds helped the most, I also have a back support Dr. gave me.

Gary Bryant
    dR.LONGSHOT

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Takes alot stronger than that to touch my back pain. As much as i hate taking the Narcotic pain killers, they are about the only thing that gives me relief at times. There are times i get less than 4 hrs sleep because of my back even when taking strong meds. It sucks.

I would suggest skipping the chriopractor and going to see a Neuro Surgeon about your back. I can tell you before my back surgery, i thought i had hip problems. It turned out the nerves in my back were being pinched and caused my hips to hurt. After the surgery the hip pain slowly went away as the nerves healed themselves. Worth a try.

Matt

3. Franktri

Franktri Member

Hip pain starts in the groin and goes to the upper part of your butt. I find that 3 advil will (most times) relieve the pain. When all else fails, ask your doctor about pain management. I get it once every couple years and it holds on for quite a while with few flareups.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

How do you take the ADVIL pills, all at once?

Gary

5. ljutic 111

ljutic 111 TS Member

Have you tried the Inversion Table ?? Might separate the vertibrate to relieve some pain . Some can't do it being upside down so you do it in stages not to have too much blood flow to your head . I pop my back at the counter by the sink or at the range on a bench . Groin pain goes away in a second .

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Having managed a comprehensive worker's comp program for over 15 years in a state that recognizes chiropractors as treating physicians I can truthfully say that I have never, and I mean never, seen a chiro release a patient as stable and normal. They don't cure, they don't alleviate except for a short time, if at all. But, they will definitely keep you coming back time after time for more manipulation. Strong pain relievers, pain management clinics, physical therapy, and surgery as a very last option.... all under an MDs care. Some people claim to get relief (at every visit, for years) but I wouldn't let a chiropractor work on my dog. Modern day charlatans in white coats.

7. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Gary

After another week or so and no real relief your doctor would no doubt recommend a hip xray, that would eliminate that.After that an MRI to be able see the muscles.
    I am into week 5 with similar issue and have had a couple knees and a hip replacment, my good hip after moving furnitue has acted up like yours,If you goggle groin pull you will see that a severe one will take several weeks to heal.

Good luck

Pete

Good luck

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I have found Chiropractor's better at managing pain then MD's. I know of more "quack" MD's then Chiropractors. Doctors have only one course of action and that is hand out drugs(they usually have stock in the company) that have more side effect problems that will "kill" you or at least destory some body organ!! Most "pain killers" have adverse effects on your liver if you take them for to long of a period of time.

Get your doctor to take some Xrays and 6 months or a year down the road take the same pictures. That way if there is changes in the joints the doctor and you can see it. Pain comes through "nerves", If a Chiropractor can't manage it, your only other choice is "drugs" or surgery.

I've been living with joint pain for almost 15 years now. Mostly from work injuries others from State Worker Comp delaying or denial of needed surgery's. The longest I had to wait for one surgery was 2 years, Thanks L&I, that was after xrays showed what the problem was. Workers Comp didn't want to reopen the claim so they used "delaying" tactics until I hired a attorney.

If you have to go on drugs, try out different ones. Some take forever to take effect, others will start working in 20 minutes. Keep a close watch on your eye balls !!!!!!!!

If the pain killers are attacking your liver, you eye balls(white part)will start to yellow in about 7 days. Call your doctor IMMEDIATELY !!

ALWAY's ask for the "side effects" list from your pharmacist when your given drugs from doctors.

Drugs are nasty but sometime you have no other choice.

9. grustyg

grustyg TS Member

i like you have severe hip and leg pain. had a milogram and found i have bulging ddisc and arther. dr prescribed voltaren. i take 75mg of diclofenac (generic for voltaren) once a day, in the morning, dr prescribed twice a day but i found once is enough. this like most anti inflamatorys is supposed to be hared on your stomach but i have not had any trouble with my stomach and i also suffer from gerd so ask your dr. about this.

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Personally I think grntitan nailed it.

None of us know for certain (as we are not doctors and have not seen MRIs and CT results) but what you describe can definitely result from lumbar back problems and not a hip issue. I know this from personal experience, herniated disk resulted in intense pain in hip, around to groin, and down my leg.

First, you need to determine if its hip or back. That means a doctor and some pictures (NOT just x-rays which don't do squat to show you soft tissue).

If it is your back, then you have options depending on the nature of the issue. There is physical therapy, cortisone epidurals, and finally surgery. Through out all of it, pain management needs to be done in parallel. Life is too short to spend it in pain.

Most...certainly not all...but most bulged or herniated discs resolve themselves in 8-12 weeks as the tissue shrinks and provides relief to the pressure on your spinal cord/nerve roots. That wasn't happening in my case and after cortisone treatment I had surgery. Not fun, but three years later I'm doing quite well. My back will never be exactly the same, but I no longer suffer hip/groin/back pain and the strength in my leg has been restored.

Hope my experience has provided some usefull information to you.

11. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Have had joint deterioration for almost 48 years. Had hip replaced twice, right knee replaced, back surgeries, and countless joint injections.

First hip replacement surgeon asked if I tried a chiropractor, I said no, I didn't think it would help.

He said good, because he has found very little good they can do to a serious pain/injury issue.

As time went by, I asked other surgeons about if I should see a chiropractor, and all said in my case, it would be a waste of time, and money, but I could try if I wanted.

In my opinion, skip the chiropractor, go directly to a good surgeon, and I believe if they are honorable, they will tell you the facts if surgery is necessary, or optional treatment will help.

In all cases, ask all the questions you can think of, and if they try to cut you short, see another surgeon.

Just my experience of almost 50 years of pain.

Danny

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

As one who has had back surgery, both hips replace, epidurals, etc. I think I can safely say "Go see a Neuro Surgeon or Othopedic Surgeon!"

It is not going to get better ... only worse! Get it taken care of before too much damage is done!

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks Baron. I do know a little something about the back and its related pain from the numerous problems and surgeries i have had. I can also tell from reading these posts that i'm not near alone in my pain. Many of the things i have read sound all too familar. Of course as several have said here, we are no doc's and they are the only ones that can diagnose each individual. I highly doubt Dr.Longwind will heed my advice as i didn't shoot the right hole targets in the right decade. In my opinion, if Advil cuts your pain you don't have it bad yet. Even the high strength pain killers are a temporary band aid for the real issues. There are many non-surgical options that give many patients relief. I actually had the epidural injections today in the sacroiliac region but more for diagnostic purposes. Feels great right now. I actually feel as if i could play a football game. LOL Too bad its very short lived.

14. ken a

ken a Member

I can feel the pain from here. Been there and didn't like it either. You have been given good advice in seeing a good doctor and get some x rays and such. If you do need surgery do a lot of research for the best surgeon. I mean look around and get several recommendations. Ask the question what are your sucess rates and your chances of full recovery. After surgery walk,walk and more walk and follow the doctors advice. Good luck

15. TC

TC TS Member

I would strongly reccomend a Physiatrist. They specialize in pain elimination. Do not go to a sugreon first, he has a BMW payment due next month. Same thing with the chiroprator!

16. Franktri

Franktri Member

Dr. Longshot: I have been taking 3 advil 2 to 3 times a day, always with food, for the past 20 years (1st hip surgery was at age 50). I was lucky that my stomach and liver could take it. Aleve can also be taken(2 in AM)... Good for entire day..

17. Beni

Beni Member

If you lost feeling in your leg and fell ,that should be a good indicator of something more serious,see a good neuologist. I tried to work through those symtoms 20 years ago but all it got me was 3 back surgeries. Get away from the chripractor. I too wish just aleve would take care of my back pain!!!!! Try 800mg of iboprphin 3 times a day,then depending if my back and leg start cramping up after work a flexril or a vicatin. I dont like the drugs either but when it gets bad!!!!!!!!!!! beni

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

My Neuro Surgeon worked hand in hand with a Physiatrist who was the chief of physical medicine at the hospital I was in.

They both brought quite a bit to the table.

19. capvan

capvan Active Member

Please, please stay away from the Chriopractors. yakimaman nailed that one. I am a retired X-ray tech (15 years) and I'll never forgot the x-ray request I got from the ER one day that said the indication was "Chrio gone bad". They are strictly hand holders and in it for the money. Just ask yourself why they are in solo or group practices and NEVER on a hospital staff.

cap

20. mstrap

mstrap TS Member

What Baron23 said.

Symptoms sound exactly like those I have had recently. After epidural, MRI, and another epidural (different method) I am on the mend. Now doing PT and things seem to be getting back to near normal. Treated by a non-BMW driving surgeon, a physiatrist and physical therapist. A chiropractor acquaintance of mine told me early on that he couldn't do anything other that some exercises and suggested the treatment that I received.

Gary Bunner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.