1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hip Hop and Rap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by School Teacher, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Yes, Don Imus has put his foot in his mouth and offended a lot of people, especially the Rutgers women's basketball team. IMO, he is guilty as charged and deserves all of the criticism that he is receiving.

He has publicly apologized and will apologize in private to the team. He will also suffer economically and may loose part or his entire career.

IMO, this issue is now becoming a media circus with many individuals using it to further their own interests. It seems that the Imus issue is getting more air time than a nuclear Iran or the ongoing war in Iraq.

I suggest that some of these commentators visit an inner city school and listen to the hallway talk of students of all races and cultures. If they are offended by a few words spoken by Don Imus, they may be shocked what they hear from the mouths of children.

Children are always learning, both the good and the bad. IMO, they listen to and watch Rap videos and, through repeated exposure, come to believe that what they see is normal and accepted in society.

After visiting a school, maybe these commentators will initiate or renew efforts to tone down and clean up rap lyrics and the dress of the hip hop culture. Every generation has the right of self expression but there limits to what common decency should allow.

Children should be exposed to proper behavior and language and not be bombarded with constant off color and sexually degrading language and videos.

Last Halloween, I remember some individuals promoting costumes as pimps and whores (ho’s) for children.

In conclusion, the iron is hot and the public is aware of the evils of what Don Imus said. His words were only a symptom, the real problem is the hip hop culture and off color Rap lyrics.

Now is the time for these commentators to speak up and clean up hip hop and rap.

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

School_teacher,
    Do you feel better now cracker? Just kidding :-}

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I do feel better.

I have been asked in class by students what the term "cracker" means. I have told students that Georgia is known as the Cracker State and that a "Cracker" means somebody from Georgia. I think that a cracker originally meant someone who works quickly (cracks on).

I remember a commercial for Ritz Crackers some years ago featuring Andy Griffith in costume as Sheriff Andy Taylor.

He eats a Ritz Cracker and says .... Gooooooood Cracker!

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Let's see...since we are addressing racism, how do we have a Black Entertainment Television (BET) network which presents offensive performances offensive to women - black and white...or is it offensive? Luckily, we have Al and Jesse to define what is acceptable. Thanks, Ed
    PS. Imus was/is stupid, but entertaining. Curiously, his liberal "friends" Frank Rich, Tim Russert, Chris Dodd, John Kerry, Harold Ford et. al. appear to have abandoned him, despite his apologies and best efforts.

5. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

The backlash for this crap is on the way ,can;t Waite to see Sharpton and Jackson run for there holes.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well.........

The neologism “cracker” in this sense may have been influenced not so much by the term “safe-cracker” as by the non-jargon term “cracker”, which in Middle English meant an obnoxious person (e.g., “What cracker is this same that deafs our ears / With this abundance of superfluous breath?” — Shakespeare's King John, Act II, Scene I) and in modern colloquial American English survives as a barely gentler synonym for “white trash”.

Sounds like it predates the Georgia thing unless that was what gave birth to it.

HM

7. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Here is a link....look around on this site...its pretty funny.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cracker

Forrest

8. Saddletramp

Saddletramp TS Member

Back in the early 1800's the Georgians who drove teams of oxen were reputed to be highly skilled with long bull whips. In contests with other drovers they took the prize for cracking the whip the loudest and with the greatest skills. The term became a descriptive adjective to describe these Georgia drovers.

In recent times it has become a derogatory term, mainly used by minorities, to describe someone from the South.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I guesss Imus did a Zumbo.

10. oletymer

oletymer Member

Remember in the movie the Last Boy Scout when the bad guy told Bruce Willis that he wanted to hear him scream? His answer was " play some rap music".

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Pots calling kettles ...... Tawana Brawley, Hymietown. These "pots" suddenly have the right to judge the speech of others? Oh hypocracy, thy name is Reverend (you fill in the rest).

12. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

While we are on this hip-hop crap, How about these loud speakers in cars and trucks,every time i pull up to a stop light i would like to have a switch to turn on and fry their speakers!!

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

My understanding of the orginial term of "cracker" is the same as Saddletramp's. It was a term given to teamsters good with the whip. A la - he could crack a fly off of a horse's ear, without the horse knowing it.

Bisi

14. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Can someone tell me what happened? I guess I missed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.