Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hint from an old timer

3K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Bird30 
#1 ·
I shoot with someone who's been shooting ATA for over 30 years. Does most of his shooting with reloads. He buys powder and other supplies in bulk and some of the stuff may be on his shelf for six months or better. He says he flips his powder containers about once a month, says powder will settle and age on you and flipping the containers helps preserve the powder. Anybody else hear about this or do it?
I go through an 8lb just about every two months but I do usually have one or two other jugs sitting on the shelf at one time.

#2 ·
I've never done that and often have had 12 lb kegs and now 8 pounders sit 1/2 full over the winter when I sort of hibernate. Other rarely used powders have sat for years on the shelf without concerns. Been loading rifle and hand gun since the '60s and shotgun beginning in '73.....Bob Dodd

#3 ·
There are some reloader type persons who believe that powder settles because of different size paricles in the makeup of the powder. They feel the fine particles settle to the bottom of the keg and flipping the keg mixes the different sized particles. Is this a factor or not? I don't know for sure, nor am I sure if the powder in unflipped kegs ages faster or not. I do however, flip my powder kegs/bottles several times just prior pouring powder into the hopper of my press. My reasoning; just in case powder does settle. I've been doing this for the 30 plus years I've been reloading my shells and as I reflect on the past 30 plus years, I don't recall this practice costing me anything other than a little bit of time and darn little effort. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

#7 ·
I have a large ( must be 12lb ) keg of PB that has been stored inside where it is warm for a number of years, in an outside garage no heat for several years and I believe I got it in the middle 80's. It still shoots fine. I have never moved it or shook it or anything else. 20+ years old and still works great

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.