1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hint from an old timer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I shoot with someone who's been shooting ATA for over 30 years. Does most of his shooting with reloads. He buys powder and other supplies in bulk and some of the stuff may be on his shelf for six months or better. He says he flips his powder containers about once a month, says powder will settle and age on you and flipping the containers helps preserve the powder. Anybody else hear about this or do it?
    I go through an 8lb just about every two months but I do usually have one or two other jugs sitting on the shelf at one time.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've never done that and often have had 12 lb kegs and now 8 pounders sit 1/2 full over the winter when I sort of hibernate. Other rarely used powders have sat for years on the shelf without concerns. Been loading rifle and hand gun since the '60s and shotgun beginning in '73.....Bob Dodd

3. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

There are some reloader type persons who believe that powder settles because of different size paricles in the makeup of the powder. They feel the fine particles settle to the bottom of the keg and flipping the keg mixes the different sized particles. Is this a factor or not? I don't know for sure, nor am I sure if the powder in unflipped kegs ages faster or not. I do however, flip my powder kegs/bottles several times just prior pouring powder into the hopper of my press. My reasoning; just in case powder does settle. I've been doing this for the 30 plus years I've been reloading my shells and as I reflect on the past 30 plus years, I don't recall this practice costing me anything other than a little bit of time and darn little effort. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I have had powder for over 5 years and used it with out problem put it int epoweder bottle and relaod

5. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Sounds like something the old boy came up with on his own, has justified it in his own mind, and is comfortable doing it. It certainly can't HURT anything.

6. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

NUTS!!!!!!!!!Roger

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a large ( must be 12lb ) keg of PB that has been stored inside where it is warm for a number of years, in an outside garage no heat for several years and I believe I got it in the middle 80's. It still shoots fine. I have never moved it or shook it or anything else. 20+ years old and still works great

8. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

Been loading about 4 years and a wise old trapshooter told me to shake jugs before filling bottles, but I use a 2 piece powder(promo), have not had a problem.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I have an unopened can of HiVel #2 I just let it sit on the shelf.....

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Maybe someone started an old wives tale for powder based upon this practice actually working for paint.

11. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

If you think it is a old wives tail, check with Ben at Alliant as that is what I was told to do years ago by him.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.