1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hingepin lubricant

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cunninmp, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I use STS and have for years.
    Just keep pin clean and a good lubricant and
    you gun will be happy.
    Mike C
    Groveland, CA

2. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Gator tears and gator grease...Don

3. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I like the Kreighoff Gun Glide grease when its not too hot out...but when its steaming in August, it turns to liquid.

Shooting Coach on this site sells CMD grease (Kolar used to give this out with their guns...don't know if they still do). This is a great grease and doesn't break down easily from heat.

Shooting Coach...where are you? A sales pitch is needed here ;-)

4. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I agree with Bill. I have a 1 pound tub of pennzoil wheel bearing grease that I've been using for the last twenty years or so.

Joe

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Keep it clean. Just about any lubricant will work well. I prefer Gator Tears and Gator Grease because the person who distributes this good stuff is a poster on this site and a fine Gentleman. Shooting Coach also sells a fine grease. I suppose I should lube one pin with Jerry's grease and one pin with the grease from Shooting Coach.

Pat Ireland

6. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

As stated above.. just about any lube will do. Please.. Keep in mind that the most important thing is to clean off the old (removing the dirt and cantaminants that cause damage and wear) and re-apply a fresh coat of your favorite brand !!!

I personally have used nothing but "GATOR TEARS" for the last 5 years.. both the grease and oil are excellent products and stay where you put them and last all day no matter how hot it gets on the shooting line.

Jerry B.

7. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Wheel bearing grease, it`s heatproof and won`t run, as well as lubricating adequatly

8. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

Never Seize - a little messy but stays where you put it.

9. 3357

3357 Member

Try adding a little STP to some high viscosity anti-sieze.

10. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

superduty, If you would like to order some Gator Tears or Gator Slime PM me. The oil is $5.00 ea. and the grease is $7.00 ea. Shipping is $3.00. This is the best oil and grease I have ever used. Hoosier

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Once called Permatex "SuperLube"...................now called "ViperLube." Won't run, highly heat resistent and won't stain your clothes. Great stuff. Found at most bearing/power transmission suppliers.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Two important factors have been mentioned above and they tend to work against each other. One is keeping the lube clean. The only way to do this is to remove the lube (cleaning the gun) and replace it with fresh lube.

The second characteristic desired in a lube is the ability to remain in place when the gun gets hot (adhesion). But a lube with high adhesive properties (STP, bearing grease) will not clean off easily. High adhesive lubricants are designed to operate at temperatures well above the highest temperature your gun will reach. A lube designed to work at high temperatures may not work very well at lower temperatures.

I prefer to lubricate my gun with something that will stay in place up to a temperature of about 200 degrees F (low adhesion) and will clean off the gun easily. Gator Grease, and many others, fit this description. STP and bearing grease do not.

Pat Ireland

13. dsiteman

dsiteman TS Member

Hello,
    Have used Permatex Disc Brake Grease for sometime now on rifle bolt lugs, raceways, cam surfaces, etc. and as you can imagine auto brakes live in a very harsh enviorment w/ extreme temperature swings as well as contaminates(dirt.) It is green in color and packaged in either tub or dispensor(as in hypo needle) which makes for easy application to whatever area you are wanting to lube. Not exotic, but it seems to work and is not super expensive. Was not aware of the Gator Grease/Oil and believe I will try some.

martin dotson

14. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

John, at Kolar recommended, and gave me a tube of CMD, saying: here, use this stuff. I find it to be somewhat gooey and messy though, and went back to STOS. Hopefully this admission won't void my warranty. (grin)

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Pro-Gold

16. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Try this grease. Made for the Penn label, but it's the grease NASA uses in the crawler that takes the space shuttle from the hangar to the launch pad. It is also approved as "Certified Space Technology." Penn tested it and approved it for use in their reels. Penn repair shops also use it in bulk.

Danny

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What else is there? LOL Two tubes for $13 shipped. :^)

Seriously, it is made for firearms, does not smell like automobile lubricants, is very economical, and whatever profits are made on my end go to working with kids at the clay target range.

I do not make a living off the kids or clay target shooting. I do commercial real estate and defensive firearms training as a profession. As you may guess, real estate is not a stellar performer right now. The clay targets and the kids are the passion.

Over the holidays, I netted about $500 on sales of CMD. Now, sitting in my safe is a used Remington 1100 Trap. It was bought for the kids to have a starter/loaner gun. It cost $485 shipped and transferred. I will leave the math on profit of CMD sales to you. LOL

Even at an old age, one must be passionate about something as noble as training the next generation of shooters and champions.

Thanks for the support and patronage of the folks on this forum.

18. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

I see so many that don't clean or grease their guns, i shoot with a guy that shoots a nice k-80 and never cleans of lubs it before he shoots..

19. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Thanks for your support of the youth, Coach. They are the future of the sport.

20. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

As a practicing gunsmith I use grease in more than hinge pin applications but I have used disc brake grease mixed with Hoppe's Gun Oil (in a baby food jar, mix 4 tablespoons grease with 1 tablespoon of the oil, mix well and store with the lid on to keep it clean). As others have said, cleanliness is as important as grease! Always clean the old grease off, don't just dab more on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.