1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hingepin Lube?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

I loves me BT-99 and try to take immaculate care of it. Have been using Krieghoff Gun Glide on the hinge pins and those areas to prevent galling, etc. after every cleaning and reassembly. (It's the only thing with the K name I can afford!). Old timer at the club gave me what-for for using 'grease' on the hinge pins. Says it holds dirt. (I thoroughly clean the gun after every shoot.) I asked what he uses for lubing pins and he tells me the best thing is automatic transmission fluid. Doesn't allow the metal surfaces to come in contact with each other. Ever hear of this?

Bill Stengel

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

STOS (available from Shootin' Accessories) or Lubriplate Engine Assembly Grease both work very well...

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I carry STOS as a P/W dealer but prefer a version of Lubriplate, not as stickly/stringly as the engine assy grease.

Whiz

4. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

3 in 1 oil,30 weight,vaseline,white grease,anything you have will work very well.yuor gun gets zero wear as compared with real machinery.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

STP is good too, can't come off.

HM

6. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Billster, the advice you got about grease is only applicable if you do not clean your gun. You cannot just shoot-em and add more grease at the next shoot. You gotta get the old grease out because in the long term the grease will hold residue and it will begin to act like sandpaper. MX-8B gave you the entire and correct story.

7. Billster

Billster TS Member

All good responses, thanks. There's one I never even thought about - STP!!! Hard to find now. When building race engines we'd paint all the moving/bearing parts with it during assembly. Old STP advert: dip a screwdriver tip in STP and try to hold it by the tip.

Have a smokin' weekend, all.

Bill

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I use Mobil 1 synthetic. A quart should last for a little while? Before switching, I used Slick 50. No sign of wear on any parts. Hap

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

Breakfree LP ( not CLP ) it's machinegun oil. It hangs around after taling a pounding.

10. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

**If you clean & re-lube it every time after you shoot, it does not matter what you use.**

That's the right answer.

11. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

**If you clean & re-lube it every time after you shoot, it does not matter what you use.**

That's the right answer.

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I use a good gun grease (currently---"Pro-Gold lubricant") on the hinge pins and locking lugs. Like smokerz says "--clean & re-lube it every time after you shoot--"

John C. Saubak

13. guncase

guncase TS Member

billster,,,

I have a oil product that I believe to be the best for hinge pins, and choke tubes, I have ever used. Have sold it for 4 yrs ,, if I had a "big brand name" I would be a millionaire by now!!

If you will read your Browning manual, it clearly states to use oil.
    And if you will send your address to guncase@aol.com I will send you a sample of this great product!! If you like it,, send $3.00 postage, if not. just right
    it off as ramblings of a foolish Trapshooter and toss it! Paul

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

One thing I discovered by accident is a product by Lucas oil called Red & Tacky grease. It stays put and has excellent lube quality.

They also market gun oil which is equally good. Gerald

15. Hullchucker

Hullchucker TS Member

Has anyone ever used or heard of Shaffers oil? I was told that it is slipperier than STP. Hullchucker

16. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Kroil made by Kano oil.

17. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks again for all the responses. I initially used oil but during a fast round with only two shooters found the heat thinned the oil out and ran. Wasn't happy 'bout dat.

Heard Kroil mentioned the other day by someone.

Off to the range to blow more money out the tube.

cheers
    bill

18. rwm12

rwm12 Member

My BT-99 owners manual says to use oil and shows the wear areas to LIGHTLY oil including hingepin.

19. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Some time ago, I was told about a grease that came in a new Kohler. I was told it was made special for heavy duty use on high temp, fast moving, and high pressure conditions.

I don't know if any of that was true, but this last part I was told was true. I found the manufacturer of a grease supplied to kohler. It is exactly as stated, but sold in bulk. I have been using it with no lubrication related problems what so ever.

I re-package some in small syringes, for my use. It is OK for me.

I prefer grease over oil products. I have many older guns that were lubed with oil, and it migrated to the adjacent wood.

Danny

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Plain old 30W non-detergent motor oil. Recommended to me by Giacomo for my DB-81.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.