1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hinge wear...help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sjkarst, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjkarst

sjkarst Member

have single barrel trap with loose barrel hinge when the gun is open. would appreciate help to solve this. thanks steve.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

What kind of gun?

3. sjkarst

sjkarst Member

ithaca 5e

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTT

5. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Mail to gunsmith - write check.

But seriously, you have an older gun - you could have a worn lock, pivot pins, forend, barrel shoulder, or a combination of all the above. Best bet is to send it to somebody who can figure it all out.

Or, if you want the Bubba fix, put the receiver in a vise, and squeeze a little - and try the bbls on. Squeeze a little more - and try again - but don't squeeze too much. I don't know if a 5E has a full length hinge pin, but I saw a gunsmith tighten such a gun by laying it sideways on his table, taking a big punch and hammer and giving the hinge pin one good hit lengthwise. It fattened up the pin enough to tighten the action up.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It's unlikely that the joint roll/hinge are is worn. The contact surface area is quite large. The most significant area of wear is usually the backside of the forend lug on the bbl and some on the mating area of the forend iron.

Rebuilding the lug on the bbl is what's needed. The locking bolt should be check also to be sure that it is fully engaging AND keeping pressure on the bbl, whie in the closed/locked position.

Doug Braker

7. sjkarst

sjkarst Member

can any one recommend a gunsmith for this service???

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dr Guns your man

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I sure as heck would NOT send it to the one who used a hammer to flatten an old pin up, that's for sure.

10. sjkarst

sjkarst Member

can anyone provide information on how i can contact gun doctor? thanks, steve

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Try this info@dougsgunsmithshop.com

12. sjkarst

sjkarst Member

thanks for the information guys, talked to Doug today on the phone. shipping gun to him for repair next week. super nice guy to talk to. thanks again, steve karst.

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Mike,

I've shot registered targets quite a lot a few years ago while I worked for Kolar Arms. Besides the local shoots around WI, I also attended a few state shoots and the Grand every year. One year at the Grand,I got the hearty slap on the back for a 199 in the Sgls championship.

Into the late '90s, my doubles were coming around. In either '98 or '99, I finshed the year with a 96.9 avg in doubles, breaking my first 100 straight at the WI ST. Shoot, actually shot a total of 199.

I've had a few 199's in sgls, one 100 in doubles with a slew of 99's, and a 99 in Hdcp (24yds, I struggle yet with hdcp).

Since I left Kolar in 2001, and have started up my own business, which included a move to MN, and putting up a building, any extra money right now gos to pay this building off. Plus, being a newlywed, I've got my share of a mortgage (3 more years!!!), and other monthly bills to contend with.

My goal right now is to be debt free in 5 yrs. and then being able to travel a little more to shoot.

Doug Braker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.