1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hinge pin lube?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Any Grease will do More important is cleaning and relubing each time you shoot .

2. benihonjin

benihonjin TS Member

Lubriplate

3. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

This has been dealt with many times on just about every shotgun forum. STOS is a favorite as well as Gator Tears, etc. The main issue as previously stated is to clean the joint after use as the lube will attract dirt and then relube when reassembling to shoot. Any lube will work: bearing grease, motor oil, etc.

I personally use STOS on my trap guns and my classic side by side.

Beretta recommends their gun oil.

Good luck.

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I bought a tube of plain old automotive lithium grease. Looks exactly the same as Krieghoff lube but feels slightly less viscous. Was 4.99 for a 14oz tube vs 7.99 for a 1 oz tube of "K" grease. I'll see how I like it in the next week or 2. I'm betting it's the same.

5. joehunter

joehunter Member

Tri-Flow

6. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

10w30 motor oil or plain grease.

7. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

The CMD stuff shipped with new Kolars is OK but it turns to liquid when it gets hot.

THE best stuff is from Pro Shot products called Pro-Gold lubricant. Slightly tacky so it stays where it's put; water proof; and remains stable up to 450 degrees.

Stuff is so good I've only used about 25% of a 2oz jar during the past 2 years (seasons). I've used the K-gun stuff, lubriplate, STOS, Shooters Choice synthetic grease (good stuff also), Tri-Flo, and others I can't remember.

This stuff puts them all to shame so bad it ain't funny.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

perazzitms- Thanks for the post. I too like the CMD lube, but have also noticed its tendency to liquefy at raised temps. I've been looking at some of the other pro-shot products, will have to put together an order and include the pro-gold lube.

9. agbubba

agbubba TS Member

Try Slick50 One-grease, about $8.00 from an automotive parts store and probably a lifetime supply. Has a teflon type addative and not very temperature sensitive. Syringe from animal feed store great for applying.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

STOS!

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have used grease, TriFlow, and currently using Gator Tears. Gator tears is really slick. Triflow from an old bottle has yellow color and is much thicker than the clear Triflow we have now.

Charlie

By the way, advice is only as good as what you pay for, and I am a doctor and not very mechanical.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wouldn't it be best to first decide what you want the lube to do before you decide which lube does the jobs best. Do you want a lube to decrease friction, stay in place at temperature ranges the gun is exposed to or inhibit rust? Increasing the lubricity of a lubricant decreases its ability to remain in place at high temperatures. Inhibiting rust is actually inhibition of electron flow from the steel to other molecules.

If decreasing friction is the most important thing, does anyone have any data comparing the lubricity of STOS and Superlube?

One lubricant does have an advantage that none of the others have. Gator Tears is sold by a trap shooter. I would rather support a trap shooter than Wall Mart. I hope Jerry B. sells a lot of Gator Tears.

ALF 99 made the second post on this thread and it is clear that he is well informed.

Pat Ireland

13. ZeroHero

ZeroHero TS Member

I have used most of the stuff out there. For 2 years now I have only used Gator Tears, I can't explain why but my gun is easier to clean after a day of shooting. I enjoy shooting marathons and I am very impressed how Gator Tears stays where you put it and last all day. Like Pat said it's sold by a shooter so that keeps the money in the shooting circle.

Duke

14. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have tried them all. I purchased some Mystic JT-6 at the auto store. After reading what it is designed for, I tried it. It is a pressure grease used mainly for heavy load bearings. Predominantly Timken. I have had this now for two yrs. 14oz. cost 5 bucks. I have used it on Krieghoff, Perazzi and Ljutic. I also use it on my field gun which is a Browning Lightning. Easily cleans up and had no marks on My Perazzi after using it on the gun for 2 yrs. Usually, you will see some galling marks, this product seemed to negate that. It looks like STOS, but not as heavy. Try it, I think you'll like the product. It also does not liquify during hot months. I shoot in Texas. Hope this helps, Roy

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

mobile one or stp

16. atashooter

atashooter Member

TinMan, I can agree that my shelf down here looks like the Lube isle at the auto parts store. I've got every grease and oil I think made. Shoot, I even got a quart of Royal Triton oil ... they quit making that in 1960 what? I've probably spent more on lubes than Trap. Ya always go after what is best, as you want to take care of your stuff, however, I don't think alot of us stick with it long enough to see what really works good. I'm to the point now, that I think they all pretty much do the job as long as you keep it applied and clean.

17. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I use bacon grease. It smells good after the gun warms up. Keeps the other squad members thinking about breakfast and their minds off the targets. Works for me.

Gne J

18. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

just bought some tri-flo at bike shop, can someone give me there step by step for application. dont want it to get into wood, and yes my new perazzi has some galling, thanx

19. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

<blockquote."The CMD stuff shipped with new Kolars is OK but it turns to liquid when it gets hot."</blockquote>

That's why it works so well! It acts just like wheel bearing grease; it's solid and stiff when it's cold and turns to a slippery thick liquid when it gets hot. You will always find it where put it at the end of the day.

Andy Moreland

20. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

When I asked this question of the Browning factory service reps at the Grand after they serviced my XT, they said.."white lithium"...I asked where to get some - they said any auto parts store or Wal-Mart. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best grease for shotgun hinge pin

best lube for hinged shotgun

best shotgun hinge pin lube

msds hinge pin lub grease

owens hinge pin lube

shotgun hinge grease

shotgun hinge pin lube

wot do you put on hinge pin on shot gun