1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hindenberg airship photos

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have heard the audio of the radio announcer covering this disaster.

Very moving.

HM

3. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

My Grandfather was at the crash of the Shenandoah. America had four zeppelins of its own in the 1920s and 1930s. One -- the Los Angeles -- was built by the Germans, flew successfully for a decade, and retired with dignity. The other three -- the Shenandoah, Akron, and Macon -- were built by Americans, and each crashed less than two years after its first flight.

The first, and the only one to crash on land (and thus be suitable as a tourist attraction) was the Shenandoah. In September 1925 it was ordered to conduct an ill-advised publicity tour of Midwestern state fairs. Less than 24 hours into its flight "the strongest airship in the world" was caught in a thunderstorm, torn to pieces, and scattered across the rolling hills of Noble County in southeastern Ohio. Amazingly, 29 of its crew of 43 survived.

The girder in this picture was recovered by Grandad. It sat for years in our garage. My Father donated it to The National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola Fla.
    cykick_2008_030343.jpg

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Cool story Cy-kick. I bet you Grandfather has vivid memories of that day. It's great that he donated the item to the muesem so others can see a piece of aviation history.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

That is a cool story Cy Kick

I don't see how anybody lived through that, must of had asbestos bloomers on

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

There was a great story on TV this past year. It was big.Ray

7. Brian in Oregon

It was accusations of incompetence and treason among high ranking military leaders over the Shenandoah disaster that got Gen. Billy Mitchell court martialled.

8. twotimer

twotimer Member

Thanks Brian for the memeory. I was stationed in Lakehurst in 1968. That hanger was and may still be there. There were still pieces of the airship laying around in the woods then. Mike

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Every time I've seen the crash footage played it brings to mind what it would be like if Rosie O'Donnell went skydiving and her chute didnt open

10. Brian in Oregon

View attachment 209973

CalvinMD, quote: <i>"Every time I've seen the crash footage played it brings to mind what it would be like if Rosie O'Donnell went skydiving and her chute didnt open"</i>

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Brian!!!...you hit the nail on the head brother!!!!! exactly what I was thinking!!! that is one ugly crater..she musta landed face first!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.