1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Highest ribs, advantage or oneupmanship

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ColBuckShot, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

I have recently seen the highest rib ive ever seen on a shotgun (1.5in min), probably a floating arrangement with more support beems then the Sunshine Skyway Bridge (Tampabay area 150ft high). Seems to me the further your eye gets away from the primer both in horz. and vert distance, the more potential difficulties to overcome. Recoil would be one factor I would think.
    Parallax more toublesome (thinking of single reflex camera advantages), partly because no one seems to hit straightaways and hard angle birds at the same distance. Am I still shell shocked, please give me a sanity check here.

2. laura!

laura! Member

I've got rib envy ;-)
    Laura

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Col Buckshot, How about this one, It's close to 3 inches. Done by Simmons.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Gun%20stuff/?action=view&current=870.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jim

4. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

That rib is hung.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My rib is 1.25" high. Long neck and high cheek bones. It started out a a mid-rib Ljutic. then I added a 3/4" keen rib. Works great. It keeps my head in the correct position.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

AWESOME Jim, love seeing crazy guns like this, that pistol grip stock is slick, and on what looks to be a 870comp? Who did this work, you in that trailer behind you? I like it just for looks. Which can be dangerous for me Im a sucker for a gun "I" think looks good.

7. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Col Buckshot: if you have a long neck a extra tall rib is the way to go. My son shot 70s and 80s with a flat rib gun and all we did was raise everything and now he is in the mid 195 out of 200 in singles. Not shabby in handicap either. We did both the top single and the O/u barrel.Like everything else in trapshooting you need to try it to see if it works for you. Don

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

It's not me or my gun. That is Joe B. he had the gun fixed like that because he has some bone spurs and can't bend his neck very much. It's a regular 870 trap. The gun only shoots about 70-30, But is quite comfy to shoot.

Jim

9. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

shot410ga. Do you have a picture of your gun that you can post? I have a mono mid-rib and have wondered about adding a rib. Did you have to extend the posts to raise the comb? Thanks, Steve

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Put you in a nice Perazzi MX-2005 $7,500

11. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Don, that background has to be Cardinal before they removed the wood, correct? Any interest in the Ross clinic in April instead of The other one?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

12. Shotgunchick

Shotgunchick TS Member

Are these shooters who are happy with their high rib guns one eye shooters or two eye? Just curious.

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I,m a two eyed shooter and do think it does help . I can,t say if a one eyed shooter would benefit but would think so . I see the target much faster and never move my head anymore .

14. birdtracker

Anthony is a 2 eyed shooter.I don't agree with the idea of to much mass and not catching up with fast targets as alot of the clubs here in Ohio have wild targets. Like others have said you have to try it to see if its for you. We tryed the taller posts but with cheek pressure we had a problem with the hardware coming loose. So we made a piece to fit where the adjustable comb was and then added posts to that piece. He likes it so well that he doesnt want it touched.

Jerry: I am still interested in the one in Indiana. I will send you mail. And you are correct. That is the Ohio State shoot.Don

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

AAtrap: My Ljutic has a PFS stock. However the stock comb did not rise high enough to fit the high rib, I bought another comb from one of the vendors on this site. It was poorly made. The slots did not line up with the screw holes on the PFS, Almost 1/8" off. And poorly finished. So, I made my own. It was easy. I'm a two eye shooter. I'm sure you will have to replace your posts with longer ones. Keen did a fine job. Everything fit perfect, and easy to install.

16. rrose

rrose TS Member

switchblade327
    who did the rib on your barrel and what barrel did you use as a base.
    thanks
    randy

17. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

shot410ga. Thanks for the info. Need to find out more about rib height and installing higher posts. My gun has an adjustable comb. Wonder if anyone on here has extended posts on a Ljutic? Thanks, Steve

18. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

Am I to conclude that if you have a long neck and high cheek bones then a high rib is the way to go. Are there not any other considerations, how about parallax problems.
    Im not sure how high my cheek bones are never had them measured, i'm not trying to be a wise ass, never had it tested either.

19. birdtracker

twin: I had a local machinist make me the ribs and pedastals. Rib is adjustable up and down for POI. Very simple. He was scared of the drilling and tapping of the old rib to mount the pedastals so I had to do that. I believe I have an extra rib that is made for a 34 inch barrel. I had about $400 in each barrel by the time I was done. You can email me if you like. Don

20. birdtracker

Col Buckshot: have someone take a digital picture of yourself with your gun mounted from the front and sides .And another one actually out on the line shooting such as the one in the other post. Email them to me. Probably by the time you look at yourself and your own form you will already know the answer!!! Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.