1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Highest Legal Muzzle Velocity?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EXFDX, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

What is the highest allowable muzzle velocity for a 1-1/8 ounce load of 7-1/2's. Isn't it under 1300 FPS? Just can't remember the max.

Also, using Nitro 27 hulls, Win 209 primers and Windjammer wads with Hodgdon Clays, how many grams gets closest to that velocity? My Hodgdon Manual seems a little outdated for some of these components and I should probably replace it.

Thanks,

Doc

2. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

1290 fps is max for 1 1/8 loads

3. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Thanks. I thought I remembered < 1300 fps for that 12-guage load. Now I'm trying to remember what MEC powder bushing to use with the components I mentioned to get closest to 1290. The book mentions pressure results but not velocity if I remember correctly.

Doc

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Google is your friend

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BTW, you can't get there (at least not safely) with Hodgdon Clays.

Pressure will be outrageous.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And don't trust bushings to throw the weight you think it'll throw. Use a scale.

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Someone told me that the individual shotshell velocities had to be below 1,300 fps (1,290 fps).

If that is true, then given shell to shell, barrel to barrel, and day to day variation in all things, the average velocity would have to be quite a bit lower to ascertain that any individual velocity is below 1,300 fps.

The average velocity might need to be below 1,250 fps for all I know.

But the rule may not refer to individual but to average velocities. Don't know.

8. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

You are right about the pressures, timb. I guess I was sort of pushing that to the back of my mind. But you're right, you can't get there from here (Clays). And I do use scales. I usually weigh one drop per 25 reloads. What about a different powder?

Doc

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

EXFDX

Look at Hodgdon Universal Clays for those kinds of speeds. But I don't think they have data for your combination of wad and primer.

10. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

You can get there with Green Dot also.

Bryan

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Unique works very well for the kind of speed you desire. Also Hodgdon's Titegroup will get you real close to that 1290fps number if you use their 1250 data. In fact, I would call it illegal as about half that I ran through the chono tested a little above 1300fps. I know there is a lot of room for interpretation here so just take it for what it is, a personal observation.

ss

12. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Hmmmmmmm. Lots to think about. You're not suggesting I change any of my ways at all, are you? ;-) Man, I just don't know about that "change" thing. But I do like how clean Hodgdon powders are so I will probably stick with them, and I'm about out of my Clays right now so maybe this is a good time to think about it. What is the practical difference, for example, between Titegroup and Longshot? What do I get/lose with each as opposed to Clays?

LOL - How much am I gonna have to change?!? Ouch!

Doc

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can get DOWN to legal ATA velocities using Longshot.

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

There is a lot of difference between Longshot and Titegroup. Longshot doesn't work very well with 1 1/8oz loads until you get them really cooking (1350fps +). It much prefers 1 1/4oz+ loads to keep it happy.

Titegroup is a very flexible powder that is just the berries for 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads. Just remember it is a very dense powder so your selection of wads will change. The Remington/Downrange TGT-12's work very well for the 1 1/8 oz stuff and the Green XL-1 works great for the 1 oz loads. Data is limited on this powder when it comes to componet selection though.

ss

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Titegroup is good stuff. Its what I use for my handicap loads. Very clean.

It is essentially the same as the powder Remington uses in their Nitro 27 factory shells.

16. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Okay, so since I need new powder, I will go to Titegroup. I'll go back to the website for Hodgdon and see what it says about the load. How much real difference does the wad make, given the powder? I thought that as long as the powder cup covered the powder and left enough room for the shot so the crimp would still be good, it didn't really matter.

See? This is what you get when you start changing stuff up LOL.

Doc

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

First, make sure you look at Titegroup, and NOT Titewad. Big difference.

Look at the recipes with the Figure-8 wad. But I don't use the Figure-8 because crimps get really concave.

Hodgdon says you can substitute the TGT-12 or the Downrange RT-12 for the Figure 8. But don't take my word for it, check it out yourself to be safe. That's what Remington uses in their Nitro-27 factory shells.

If you want to get the higher speeds, you may also have to use a Remington primer.

18. warren

warren Member

If your on target and your gun is moving in the right direction, I don't think it makes any difference what the velocity is your gonna hit it. I've shot my reloads when in know it's only about half the powder and I can see the shot moving out and still hit the target if I'm on target.

warren

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

1290 fps and that's the MAX, not the average. If you loaded a bunch of shells to a recipe that gave you 1290 fps average velocity then you could assume half of them would be over the maximum and therefore illegal.

John C. Saubak

20. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I don't think a hot load is vital, but I do believe muzzle velocity is one of the very few things I can control which can make a difference in terms of potential extra targets. So I'm not all heated up about juicing my reloads, it's just that if I can do it safely, I see it as a legitimate, potential advantage for my numbers.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. It's plenty to think about but I do appreciate your taking the time to respond. It's a huge help.

Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.