1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Higher velocity with Hastings

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JJJ, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

A few days ago, a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable & myself were shooting our reloads over the chronograph. He was shooting an 1100 Classic with a inside bore diameter of 0.729, the barrel that came with the Remington Classic. I was shooting a Classic,however, I was shooting a Hastings barrel with a bore 0.740. I was shooting a full choke & he was shooting a modified(Hasting) choke. Using the IDENTICAL LOADS, we tried at least 1/2 doz different loads. All loads out of my gun were at least 50 fps faster than
    shooting them through his gun. My friend says, it was because of the difference in chokes. What say you?
    Joe Jordan

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Choke sure, barrel diameter to some extent as well perhaps, add the fact that barrels vary in reported speed even if they mike the same and you end up with the kind of differences you report, Joe. It's common enough, as are barrels which shoot about the same speed. Choke always adds speed, though the change from modified to full should be a good deal less than you report.

One thing to consider, however, is the SD's you were getting, that is, the shot-to-shot consistency. Were the SD's under, say 18 in all cases, extreme spreads 40 fps or lower? If not, you can't say much about the differences in average speed.

Neil

3. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Bump

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There was less friction in the Hastings barrel, thus greater fps. HMB

5. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Thanks to all those who replied.
    JJJ

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

How do you know there was less friction with the Hastings barrel, hmb? Couldn't it just be the greater area for pressure to work of and so produce more force which is directly related to acceleration? It is a larger bore, after all.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.