1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Higher Rib

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mo Bill, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mo Bill

Mo Bill Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have been thinking about an add-on rib.I am tall with a long neck and want to get my head more erect.

I know there are folks that will install add-on's, but i want to experiment
    a bit. i have read on this site that balsa wood has been used.

How do you attach the balsa wood and how do you get some beads on it? I feel
    I need the beads to help me set up so that I have the same distance between
    front and middle that I have now( I know that the comb will need to be raised).

I'm shooting a BT 100. Are there any thoughts on how much to add... 1/4..

Mo Bill

KEYBEAR Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Bill most guys just tape them on as for beads use plain old pins with white heads like your wife has works well .
  3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Height of the raised rib is purely a personal preference. Try several different heights and see what feels/works best for you. I originally used a 3/8" addition, then went to 1/2" as this worked best for me, but everyone is different. You just have to try what works for you.

Jim R
  4. DOBER01

DOBER01 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Did this with my BT100 several years ago. You can control the POI by tapering or shimming the rib height front to back. Bought several thickness of Balsa. Rib height for me with a good POI for me was 1/2 at front bead and 5/8 at receiver.Remember you need to move the comb up with rib height and then work with POI.Sent the specs to Keene Ribs. It came back exactly as ordered with epoxy to glue rib on. It has been on for 3 yrs with no problem. Good luck.
  5. mike31z

mike31z Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Highland, WI, USA
    Here is a thread that I posted to in Sept 06. I still have my add on. additional recommendations.
    1. Make it out of a hard wood it won't warp or bend as easy as balsa.
    2. cut a small v channel on bottom side this will give you more area for the adhesive(RTV silicone adhesive) to make contact with.
    3. use hi-viz type for the front sight which ever version you cam make fit/work.
    4. Mid bead if you put one on your first version, unless your a machinist, the hole you drill will be to large use silly puddy to filler the void. Recommendation make mid bead out of the same material as the hi-viz front sight just a different color. I filed a 1/2 incl long round into a rectangular shape.

I hope these ideas help
  6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Dave Berlet has done 2 ribs for me as well. Does a great job. Just tell him what you want for POI and he can take it from there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.