1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Higher point of impact question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oleolliedawg, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Lower your gun hold-it usually works!!
  2. pudgie

pudgie TS Member

Why did you move it in the first place?????????????
  3. bigben

bigben Member

Pat, great question! as you say you tend to shoot quickly, fine, however and this is paramount, do not move your eyes or the gun before the target is whole and and is seen as a shootable tar or a 100% gun shoots too high, the "big boys" shoot guns 120 % and way up, they break good scores becuse the gun doesn"t move until the target clears the barrel. A good test, while your squad is practicing, turn the power off, even have someone do it on yourself, and see just how many of the squad moves on call. incinerate em!
  4. bigben

bigben Member

Pat, I had a student with the same situation, with his left eye sight practically gone he was shooting one eyed, after surgery we found he was now shooting off his left eye rather than his right first check to see if you are indeed right eye dominent, [right handed shooter] you may have turned your head into the stock more so you could see better make sure the pupil of your right eye is perfectly in the center of the rib, and adjust so that you have some space betwen the beads, it will help you stay on the stock as you may have had the stock too low causing you to not see the target correctly with your right eye and prior to your surgery it didn't matter as you were almost blind in your left eye, now with great vision the left eye takes over causing cross-firing. I believe it will really help! incinerate em!
  5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have found that the majority of shooters can not shoot a gun that shoots that high. Yes, there are some that use a poi that shoots 100% and higher, but for most shooters they would be better off shooting with a 60/40 or 70/30 poi.

Shooters are known to experiment in an attempt to obtain one more broken target, but if it's hurting your scores go back to a more comfortable shooting poi. I would experiment with 90/10/, 80/20, until you powder targets effortlessly.

Remember, the further you move back in handicap the less movement you will need to break targets. When I was on 25 yards years ago, I found that I shot over my targets with a higher poi.
    Steve Balistreri
  6. butcher

butcher Member

Neil Winston always said that you won't go wrong with the POI set at 70/30
  7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Patterning boards do often not tell the real story!!
  8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

I will say this that the average shooter that starts shooting trap w/start up guns have a gun that shoots too low for them.

AS you become more profecient at shooting, that is picking up the target quicker and shooting it on rise, before it reaches peak need a gun that shoots 80/20.

I have seen time and time again a new shooter shooting under their targets.

Ver very seldom are they over them.

This is what I have found and seen at the clubs.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  9. bigben

bigben Member

Charger, ask Neil l how many 100 straights he has had from the 27 yd line. with a 70/30 gun! incinerate em!
  10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Go back after years of shooting and shoulder your first trap gun that you ever had. Most shooters will say that they can not believe that they shot such a low stocked and poi gun. But, they will also say that the gun they first started with got them to the 27 yard line in a lot of cases.

Years and years go by, little by little your stance, style of shooting, sometimes changes. Sometimes you need to go back to basics.

Steve Balistreri
  11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Active Member

Interesting article in trapshooting USA by Leo talking about rib heights and poi's. One of the comments he made about himself was how over the target he was when making his shots. This revelation came to him after viewing his training video, it's not surprising after being weened on flat shooting guns like his 1100's. What this remark illustrates, is what works for one may not for another, there's no perfect formula that fits everyone.

Surfer
  12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Bill Forester recently reminded me that the shot begins to fall the instant it leaves the muzzle, while the target rises until it reaches its apex. These two phenomena are not linear and not 180 degrees out of phase.

He wants me to experiment with raising my POI until things begin to go south shooting straights, then back off to split the difference from where I started.

I'll try that--after the Grand that is.

Guy Babin
  13. RickN

RickN Active Member

Gary, Neil has been to the 27 many times.
  14. hmb

hmb Active Member

Shot does not start to fall the instant it leaves the muzzle. It depends on the orientation of the barrel. If the barrel is held level then it starts to fall right away. But if the barrel is pointed straight up it starts to fall when it reaches its apex. HMB
  15. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

You are going to find that on position 1 & 5 like you mentioned, you are shooting behind the targets,because you are not following thru.
    GAZ
  16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Hmb,

My premise (unfortunately not stated) is for one who holds a lower gun than the angle of release from the throwing arm and did not include the gravitational pull on White Flyers no matter what angle, spin, or speed...

Both target AND shot do BEGIN to become affected by gravity instantly upon release, but at different rates.

Come to find out Sir Isaac Newton seems to have been an early pioneer in trap shooting, if not very astute.

I have seen a few who hold a gun WAY above 20 degrees but not ever a champion... Your results may vary.

Guy Babin
  17. G550

G550 TS Member

Pat

I would look at your vision issue first. I am right eye dominant but have astigmatism that is harder to correct to 20/20 than my left eye. In the past,when my right eye got worse, my left eye would take over at times. On post 1 if a hard left is picked up by the right eye first then lost as it goes through/under the barrel the left eye can lock on causing great confusion. At least my experience. I ended up hesitating and poking at the target. If I had a choice I would rather have the left eye corrected to slightly less than the right. I now have equal correction with contacts so this is no longer a problem. A slightly different hold (wider or lower) may help also on post 1.

RCH
  18. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

At a Phil Kiner clinic EVERYONE who thought they shot over a missed target was surprised to see the video of their shooting under the target. I know some do shoot over the target. I believe that is the exception, not the rule.

Terry Sandlin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.