1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Higher or lower

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goose2, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose2

goose2 Active Member

The farther we move back from the 16 yrd line should we aim lower on the bird or cover the bird up more. In other words should are guns shoot higher or a more flatter poi. My mind cant figure out why I am good from the 16 and the 27 but not so good from the 23. I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.
  2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When the shot leaves the barrel it travels in an arc. It crosses the sight plane traveling up, reaches its high point and then starts down. It crooses the sight plane again on its way down. This is all do to the affects of gravity on the shot. The location of the crossing points is dependant on the height of the rib above the centerline of the bore. HMB
  3. Shawn

Shawn TS Member

If you were going to change your POI moving from the 16 to 27, You would typically look at raising the POI.
  4. reed92

reed92 TS Member

At 23 yards, you shouldn't have to change anything from 16yds. When I was up there I used the same choke, hold points, leads, etc.

Just my .02
  5. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

You don't aim a shotgun. It's not a rifle. Keep eye on the target. Whenever I don't, and it is often, almost a guaranteed loss.
  6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I agree with Fritzboy and it looks like we have one at least thing in common. :(
  7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

It depends if you still shoot them on the rise. If so, just lower your hold point a little as you move back and shoot them the same as 16. As told to me by a Big Dog. If they are starting to peak and/or drop, then it's a whole diffeerent game. Mark
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.