1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Viz vs no sights

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Why do some shooters put high vis sights on their guns when others say never look at the sight, only concentrate on the target? I know when I put black tape over my daughters sights her score went up.. thanks!

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I had a red Hi Vis and when I was shooting with the evening sun to my back, I was missing like crazy. That Hi Vis really was bright when the sun hit it like that. I unscrewed the sight and stuck it in my pocket and proceeded to run the last round and 1/2, with no sight at all. Too bright of sight must have been confusing my vision. good luck

3. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

High Viz sights help me "aim" the gun much better. They work great on pistols but not on shotguns. My suggestion is, try both and see what your scores are. Most will choose not to use them.

Shoot safe, John

4. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I tried the HiViz sight and soon realized that for me, it caused more problems than it solved. On the other hand I don't like the big, standard sized white beads either. I am going to experiment with the sight, removing the plastic light rod altogether, shooting it that way. Will also see what happens when I paint all or a portion of the rod with black nail polish so it doesn't gather up so much light.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use both at the same time. I have a green tube High Vis sight on my barrels but I color them black with a marker.

Pat Ireland

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I have recently purchased a new gun with the replaceable "High Viz" type front sight. Fortunately, it comes with replacement light tubes, including a SMALL solid white one, which is very good. Perhaps the solid, non-light-gathering type replacement is available for all?

WNCRob

7. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I like the hi-viz sight on my gun. I find that it is easier for me to keep an eye on the target if the sight is more visible in my peripheral. I tried the extra small beads and it was a disaster! I found myself looking harder for the sight after making my move. I know Harlan Campbell has used hi-viz sights with great success.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Harlan and Pheasantmaster (Martin W.) are both from Kansas. The Sunflowers, Meadowlarks and wheat fields allow them to do things that nobody else can achieve.

Pat Ireland

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

On really overcast days.. the hi viz lets me find the front of my barrel in relationship to the target... On bright days I remove it..(its magnetic).. Also.. for POI I have a few magnetic sights.. the taller ones drop the POI without adjusting anything else..so I can try different things and see what works BEFORE adjusting the comb..

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I prefer the green Champion EasyHit in the 2.5mm size (smaller size)

It is smaller than the Hi-Viz and sits tight on the barrel.

I have one on all our target guns.

SW

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I guess it a matter of personal choice. I tried it on a couple of my target guns and I don't like it. Wasn't a good choice to shoot trap or skeet with it. Seemed to be a distraction. For hunting I find it to work great. I like the light gathering characteristics of it for that purpose.

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'd choose proper gun fit rather than HiViz....

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It takes a certain amount of self discipline to focus past the Hi Viz type sights. I had to change from a green to a red pipe. The green just grabbed my eye too hard. I do believe one receives feedback about where the muzzle is, without looking directly at the sight, and if one can discipline one's self to focus past it the muzzle information one gets is helpful.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I bead check all the time with the regular white sight so I black them out and put a Hi Viz sight behind it and its doesn't seem to bother nor do I bead check with it on the gun ... I can obviously see it without knowing I am seeing it and gathering information from it just by it being there ... I look at the target not the sight but for a megasecond I must see it and not even know it ... There are those who cannot and probably should not use them depending on adapting to them being there ... I like them and Home made Lasagne with Garlic bread ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hi vis trap gun sight