1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

high viz front bead help or hurt?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i wonder if those hi vez fiber optic tube type front beads help or hurt in tracking the target. It seems they would distract your eye from really focusing on target? The reason i ask is i seem to shoot better with a blinder vs a high viz fiber optic tube sight but the high vez front bead stands out better. i tried the fiber optic sight but when i mounted the gun sight i saw two glowing beads.

2. drh08

drh08 TS Member

My guess is it would hurt. When I started shooting my gun I used the beads for mounting and never saw them again after I called for the targets. Interesting enough after reading your post I was trying to remember what color my beads are. Darn if I can remember so I can only conclude I don't use the beads for anything anymore. If you are seeing beads after calling for a bird you are aiming your shot. You can hit targets aiming but not all of them, and aiming is totaly worthless in faster games like skeet, sporting clay and doubles in trap. I would stay away from anything that screams "look at me" on the end of the gun. That is just my thoughts on this subject

3. smsnyder

drh08. i think your right. the metal blinder helps but the hi vez fiber optic tube sight hurts. it distracts your eye from what you are really looking for THE TARGET.

4. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

I shoot a high viz, I have a cross eye domination problem, I`ve found it helped me immensely, and doesn`t interfear with my concentration on the bird.

Tom R.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like my Hi Vis green sight but I do not track targets with it. I align my sights, then focus on the house and see only the bird. I look at the bird and then let the gun shoot when it is ready. After I shoot, the green sight comes back as a fuzzy thing on the end of my barrel.

Pat Ireland

6. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

What Pat said. Nubs Wagner

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Yup: What Pat said. Wouldn't shoot without my Hi-Viz. Ed

8. HarryK

HarryK TS Member

I also agree with what Pat said. Harry

9. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

You would not be seeing the sights if you were not looking at them. Just let the gun do it's job. I KNOW that Frank did not tell you to track the target with your sights. John

10. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

What Pat said except florescent red. RG

11. smsnyder

i am not saying to track the target with the sight. i am asking does the bright sight tend to pull your eye away from the target? is there any eye experts out there that has some real facts? thanks

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I use the biggest, fattest fiberoptic sight I could find. It never pulls my eye away from the target, but I always know where the barrel is. My eyesight isn't the best, and I know it helps me to not lose sight of the barrel. If you think you don't need to see the barrel, try shooting at a target at night that's illuminated, but shoot from a spot that's in the dark where you can't see your gun. You won't be able to do it. I 'll miss targets for other reasons, but not from bead checking. You don't need an eye expert, just see what works for you.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If your looking at the bead, your not looking at the target!!!!! Then you will hear lost.

14. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I put fiber optic on my 1100 competition and my scores dropped. I hate the front bead Remington put on it but I do shoot better with it than with the optic. Maybe my old brain can't focus on two things at once.
    Dan

15. smsnyder

Coyote268,jmbou,drho8, all three of you are right. i have been doing some side line testing with other shooters and friends. When i put the hi viz fiber optic sight on the front bead or rib whither it is the tube type or just a front fiber optic bead most of the shooters scores i have tested have gone down. The fiber optic bead does distract your eye away from the target more often than not. I tested 5 different shooters including myself. Yes, i like the fiber optic sight bead but i feel it is only good for turkey and or rifle sights. I have come to the conclusion that good trap shooting is nothing more than proper gun fit and intense fosus on the target. Were ever the eyes goes the barrel will follow provided the gun fits properly.( THAT THE HARD PART)) My scores the last 5 shoots using the hi viz fiber optic sight were 84,82,79,82,83 from 16 yards and handicap. Without the hi vez optic sights scores were 92.89.90,90,89. I am not an expert or a great shooter but other shooters i have tested have had the same results. It has been fun. My next test is the metal sight blinder. It is that metal thing that goes on the rib to block the nondominent eye from taking over and seeing the front bead.

16. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I guess it's personal preference. The Hi-Viz allows me to reference the barrel to the target; in a way that is hard to explain. I do not use the bead to "aim" at the target. The bead is just an integral part of my gun and does nothing more than allow the ' subconsciuous" part of my shooting process to enhance the "gun/target" aspect of breaking the target. Ed

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Pat,
    Do you really focus on the house? I thought most successful trap shooters let their pre-shot soft focus be over and past the trap house some. Out in the air about where the bird appears.
    Interesting.
    Jake

18. smsnyder

i find this interesting. focus on the target without a gun. easy ha. now put a barrel, rib or piece of steel in front of your eye and try to focus. that's the major problem. any distraction from focusing on moving target will hurt your scores. i see why the military has heads up display for moving targets.

19. smsnyder

bobdog, i can't imagine have no sight? lol

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

jakearoo- Yes, I do focus on the trap house, or at least the area of the trap house where the bird appears, before I call for the bird. Your eyes do not change focus when looking at any object between 20 feet and infinity. If your eyes are focused on the front of the house, they do not need to change focus to follow the bird. Some shooters focus on the space in front of the house (air) but I need something solid to focus on and I hold a low gun so the trap house works for me.

It does take a little thinking to focus on the house while looking through, not over, the front sight.

When your eyes are focus for distance, the lens is at its thinnest shape and the muscles that change lens shape are relaxed. Contraction of these muscles actually causes the lens to get thicker and focus on objects less than 20 feet away. I know this seems backward, but that is how it works. If any one is interested how contraction of the muscles around the lens results in a thicker lens, they will have to wait till I get back from the NC State Shoot this Sunday or a post from EyeDoctor.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.