1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Trigycerides ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Well my triglycerides went from 123 to 273 in one year, everthing else checks out ok, anyone out there have a similar situation & what did you do---would hate to give up the martin's & the great breakfasts at one of the clubs I shoot at- but if there isn't an alternative-I gotta do it---Phil

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Cardiovascular risk at that level. Your diet/exercise patterns must have dramatically changed in a year! What are your LDL and HDL levels? If HDL under 50 and LDL over 70 (am guessing they are) you ought to see your Internist about it.

3. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Thanx Claybrd: my HDL is 60, My LDL is 129, My Chol/Hdl is 4.1---will be see ing my internest, what do ya think----Phil

4. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I'd see my cardiologist ASAP. Triglycerides are only one indicator but it's a warning. Mine go up directly with weight gain and down with loss. Watch what you eat and get some exercise.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Are you a Cardiac patient or does heart disease run in your family ..? Are you on any Medications for high blood pressure, cholesterol, or any other cardiac related symptoms ..? Over weight ..? Diebetic ..? The Doctor can put you on a diet that will lower and control the triglycerides,and cholesterol, and or put you on medications that will help you control them ... I am a cardiac patient and would be seeing my Doctor and have a heart to heart with him or her about the question that you posed here ... Good Luck ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

In September of 2005, my chloresterol was somewhat high but my triglycerides were 450. My doctor told me to take Niacin and fish oil so I took 2,000MG of Niacin and 4,000MG of Omega-3 fish oil. I ate just as healthy as ever (which ain't too healthy) and in six months, my total chloresterol was 100 (I forget the exact individual numbers). My doctor has my blood tested every six months and is very happy with the numbers.

Niacin has one negative side effect - it can cause hot flashes. I use the CVS brand because it is the only one that comes in decently-sized bottles and is supposed to be non-flushing. I buy Berkley & Jenson fish oil at BJ's Wholesale Club.

Ed

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

For breakfast have a bowl of oatmeal with a couple teaspoons of milled flaxseed in it. With a little brown sugar of course.

You would be surprised at the results. Other little things too.

French Fries are of the Devil, no, no, no.

If you don't get it under control your doc will make you take the damn Lipitor and you don't want that.

HM

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- I recommend shooting a lot of either Red Dot or Green Dot to keep the blood lipids in balance. My recommendation is based on as much evidence as many other recommendations on many other topics I see on this site.

Also, I am quite familiar with the typical body shape of Penna Dutchmen and the diets that they enjoy. You might consider changing your heritage.

Pat Ireland

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah...

Ed

10. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Don't drink soda. I will raise your triglycerides also. Oatmeal is good and the Niacin if you can stand the hot flashes. I couldn't so I quit the soda and started going to the gym again 3 times a week. Losing weight also helps. I went from 260 lbs to 245 and that helped. The more I lose, the better my tri's.

Good Luck,

Consult a physician.

11. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Dropped 50 pounds (230 to 180),tri's down from 299 to 150's, cholesterol down from 191 to 139 all over a period of about 9 months, beginning in November 2004. No medications -- also, no steak, no ice cream, no chips, no pizza and only one coke per day. Those were the bad habits. Do get lots of cabbage and that family of foods, salads w/'0' fat dressing, skim milk, wheat breads and pastas, Healthy Choice (or that type of 'see through' meats) lunch meat for work. All that stuff that I thought never would taste good -- but I was wrong, it tastes just fine and weight stays off and numbers stay good. I eat some fish instead of steak when we go out once in a while and pork tenderloin in the smoker is excellent instead of a rib-eye off the grill. Of course, I no longer can eat at the gun club --- boy I miss the tenderloins and onion rings.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Go to the above website and look at the Mediterranean Food Pyramid. NOT the American.

After you hyperventilate, you will see that it is not so bad. Bland food beats the heck out of cardiovascular surgery!!!

This permanent change in the way you eat will have you feeling better in under a month. Trust me. I have done this Food Pyramid for years. It works.

13. PILLMAN

PILLMAN TS Member

take one 81 mg baby aspirin about 30 minutes before you take your niacin , that will reduce your flushing

14. RDF

RDF TS Member

Mine was over 2200 in december, was down to 435 in January. Mine has been going up and down for several years. Taking medicine for this, high blood pressure, and diabetes. I need to loose weight and watch my eating habits, have started a Caro class which is helping.

Rick

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

my Triglycerides are 83.

Cholesterol is 150
    HDL Cholesterol is 37
    LDL Cholesterol is 96
    VLDL Cholesterol is 17

And I don't take any medication for Cholesterol.

I am overweight, but I walk vigorously for 50 minutes every morning and again for 30-40 minutes in the afternoon.

I am 69 years young, and 7 years ago I came down with Type 2 Diabetes.

To make a long story short, I've been walking ever since.

It is essential for me to keep my blood sugar down and I also believe it is responsible for helping keep my Cholesterol under control. Or at least I'd like to think so.

I do credit the walking for the above good numbers.

Good luck to what ever works for you!

Hauxfan!

16. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Let me tell you folks, I have been on the "heart Healthy" diet since my head hit the floor three years ago. My wife has relearned cooking and we eat better than we ever did. I do miss thick fatty pork chops and mashed potatoes and milk gravey though......................I had no warning untill that mule stood on my chest..............Roger

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Try stopping all alcohol. It can have a great effect on triglycerides. Jake

18. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

The aspirin before taking the Niacin is a good suggestion. If the 81mg doesn't do the job, go to the 325mg(5grs).
    As for eating, a good rule of thumb is: If it tastes good,spit it out.
    JJJ

19. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I ignored similar Trigyceride's numbers about 35 years ago. Results: pills 25 years ago and by-pass surgery 20 years ago (at the age of 39).

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Be advised that triglycerides are EXTREMELY sensitive to the time since your last ingestion of food. If everyone here had their triglys drawn within an hour or two of when they had eaten something, the level would be up on the moon compared to what it would be with a proper fasting. All lipid studies are supposed to be done following a 12-14 hour fast, and most folks are lucky to make it two hours. If you had eaten anything with in 12 hours of when your blood was drawn it would have elevated your tryglycerides.

If you were fasting properly, a 237 trigly isn't worth getting excited about. It wasn't that many years ago that they were unsure just what role triglycerides played in heart disease. I'll bet the jury is still out on this one in a lot of cases. Of course it doesn't bode well if you have a level of 2200 mg/dl, but, depending on your age, you may not be that far over the upper end of your normal range. I'd be more interested in your HDL/LDL than I would your triglys. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.