1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Spring Grand Scores

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Attended my first baby Grand at the Dixie last month, and am going to Tucson this coming week for The Spring Grand.

Looked at the historic scores and they seemed very good compared to other big shoots. Then I am watching this weeks scores and they are huge.

For example...

Yesterday had 11 100 straights in singles and you had to shoot a 96 in class C to make the top 10 with only 215 entries. That's 5% of the field running 'em.

In 'caps you had to shoot 96 to make the top 20 with 272 entries. 34% of the field shot 92 or better and 14% shot 95 or higher.

I know I'm a newbie, but I thought the targets at The Dixie were pretty good, although we played in some wind, and the scores were nowhere near what they are posting at Tucson.

Can someone enlighten me as to why we are seeing so many high scores?

Chip

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Elevation

Rick in MT

3. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Rick,

Can you explain to me what effect elevation has that causes these high scores?

Thanks,
    Chip

4. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I shot in the singles event in Tucson yesterday and scored a 91 in B class. The conditions were overcast and 60 degrees, light wind. The shooter next to me shot a 100 straight. This was my first registered shoot and the second time I shot singles, the day before I shot a 92. I met many nice people and will look to shoot the AZ state shoot next month. Joe

5. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Go to RJ Stuart and look at the 2011 scores.these big shoots just bring out the best in the shooters.A class D shooter that shoots a 98 just had a great day.I see this at local shoots when money or a nice trophy is awarded.they just have a good day.

6. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Everybody is in a better mood because they are higher?

barry kemper

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Roger, how bout savin me a few of those for next week? :)

Hap

8. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I don't think elevation has much to do with it, I watched as they calibrated each trap with a radar gun prior to each event. Joe

9. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Everyone elevates their game :)

Rick in MT

10. Hap MecTweaks

Roger, in that case, you'll be lucky to break into the 80s you ole meanie you!! LMAO

Hap

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Years ago I heard they threw very soft targets, but I have never shot there.

I defer to Hap.

Hap, let me know how soft they are when you get there.

12. fracdog

fracdog TS Member

Might b the biggest shoot outside the grand. The best in the country attend thats why the scores r what they r.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Setterman, this is my fifth year of being an AZ resident shooter and life member of the Tucson T&S club. In those 5 years of attending shoots at the club, I haven't seen the soft targets you were told of.

That said, there is a small difference between shooting eastern targets compared to those shot in the west. I won't post that difference here but I will PM you with an invite and explanation if you'd like?

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

results for spring grand tucson arizona 2015 rj stewart trap

spring grand scores tucson