1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High shooting O/U?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wayneo, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Going to start shooting doubles in trap, are there any o/u that pattern high? Like 70-30 or 80-20. Looking at a Winchester Select Energy Trap, they guys at Jaqua's say it patterns at 60-40, little to flat for me. Thanks for any help, Wayne

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You might be better off with a flat shooting gun for the second shot of doubles. I would recommend shooting a few used guns until you find one that gives you good hits on the second bird. Then check its POI on the patterning board. That way you will find out what you need for doubles. HMB

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, my Browning Cynergy Sporter shoots high enough to be about right for the way I shoot dubs.

4. BMC

BMC Member

It all depends on how the gun fits you. This is where adjustable combs and butt pads come in handy. My XT shoots 80/20 with the bottom barrel and 70/30 with the top with the way I've got my comb adjusted. It was originally a factory MC stock which out of the box, shot even higher. By adjusting the comb and butt pad to my liking, it shoots where I need it to for my skull and shoulder.

5. Shooting Coach

Dear Don

Another comment about the lack of recoil from the Cynergy. Just for the heck of it, I loaded a flat with the GM hull, Fed 209A primer, TWENTY THREE GRAINS OF UNIQUE, WAA12, and 1 1/8 oz of Lawrence 7 1/2's. Velocity? 1250!

I ordinarily would not shoot such a load even in a gaspipe.

With bore-matched Angleport Full chokes, they are sudden death on 27 yard birds, and no flinch. If for no other reason, the gun is amazing for the lack of recoil with standard loads, and very manageable recoil for what I consider extremely heavy loads. With the 1350+ 24 gram and 1300 one ouncers I normally shoot, the Cynergy kicks like my 20 gauge (skeetie muffin) TUBE GUN.

I know there are folks out there with specialty guns and also young shooters who run the 1290 Super Cap load. I do not have a gun with a recoil reducing stock, and I am not young. I will be 39 this spring. LOL (try 62)

I will not shoot these in my Krieghoff. It can not tame recoil like a gun that cost one-fifteenth as much.

I do not think any less of the Krieghoff, but have more respect for Browning every time I shoot my Cynergy.

6. Shooting Coach

We share a Crony, and shoot from about eight feet. At that range, the leading pellet is within inches of the main column and wad.

Actually, some of my loads are recipes! LOL Recipe loads are usually within 20 feet or so of listed speeds. We generally use 30" and 34" barrels with Full chokes. My 30" K-80 O/U Angleported barrel is faster (20 feet or so) than a friend's 34" Browning factory ported Topsingle. A friends' 30" non ported Beretta gaspipe Optima Plus was basically the same speed as the 34" Browning. A 30" 870 Comp non ported was the same speed as the 34" Browning and the Beretta gaspipe.

All in all, the guns were very close in velocity. My 34" Angleported Unsingle was about 20 feet faster than any of the guns we tested THAT DAY. These are five shot averages. The fellow doing the "ciphering" threw out high and low, which was often within 25 fps, and averaged the 3. One fellow had about a 60 foot variation between low and high. Some Federal Top Guns were within 20 feet +-. That was the only factory fodder we had with us.

I have no doubt that testing another load or powder would give different results.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Good picture. Shows that choke has less effect than I thought. Shot is still in the wad.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.