1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Shooting Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gasman03, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I shoot a BT-99 and for me it shoots high. It has an adj. comb and is as far down as I can go. If I get high targets or a wind in my face I'm ok but when a wind at my back keeping the targets flat I have a hard time staying under them. Any ideas?

Corey

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

You can try a taller fron sight like one of the magnetic ones. That will help a bit. You could also consider adding a rib to change the poi.

Shawn

3. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

hold under them when you have low targets. conditions will never be perfect, traps aren't always set even, learn to hold where you need to, if the gun shoots where you look there is no problem, if the stock is really to high, remove wood from the underside of the comb, then reseal it.

4. AEP

AEP Member

I would either have the butt stock cut down so you will have some adjustment either way, or add another rib on top of the existing rib. I have a friend of mine who has a BT-99 that shoots so high you have to call air traffic control before takinga shot. In his case the stock would have to be cut to nothing.

I don't know if Browning made a mistake or if the gun was manufactured to shoot that high. This gun is about 120%. It dosen't appear to have a bent barrel.

You might consider having another stock made.

Whatever you do I would make darn sure the modification proposed is going to work.

Good Luck,
    Andy

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

When the targets are lower than normal I hold a lower gun on the nouse. Seems to help me anyway.

6. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Try this before you spend a lot of money --- find the biggest front bead you can and put it on --- it will make the gun shoot lower. Trust me it works.

7. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Before spending anything, make sure you pattern it on paper and see where the actual POI is...I've been fighting this, too, and the paper test was very illuminating. I did 2 shells at 30 yards.

WNCRob

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

what is your serial number on the BT-99? Does it start with the letters RT or RR, these are the high shooting BT-99s.

These were earlier BT-99s, the rest are flatter shooting guns.

There are alot of shooters looking for RR and Rt guns.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Corey:
    Over the past 41 years I have owned roughly 20 BT99's. Nothing worse than having a gun that does not shoot where you look, even worse a gun that shoots to high for your type of shooting. The BT99 that most shooters I know could shoot well, were the old style BT99 made prior to 1976, ending in 1975. These BT's shoot usually 3 inches above site in general. Browning redesigned the BT99 in 1976. They contacted the top shooters in the country and that new bt99 was meant to be a 27 yard handicap gun (only), not really intended to be shot a 16 yard targets!

When shooters started to complain that they had to hold 1 to 2 feet below the target to hit them at 16 yards, Browning admitted that the guns were shooting to high, 13 to 19 inches above the poi, which most trapshooters could not handle. Numerous BT's were recalled and Browning attempted to lower the poi.

Below is a chart to determine when your bt was made. You may want to call Browning and see if yours is one that shot to high. If your bt was made in 1976 good chance it was one of the high shooters.

Browning messed up the BT99 and reconfigured the poi on that gun more than any other trap gun I can remember. To me, sell your gun and look for an old style bt99 made prior to 1976 as these guns are smoke poles.

BT-99 Single Barrel Shotgun
    The production of the BT-99 began in 1968.  Production ceased  in 1995.
    To find your serial number, you will need to refer to your owner's manual. We have most owner's manuals online. You can go to those by clicking here.
    Date
    Historic Information
    Serial Number Info
    1968-75
    1969 started using two digits for the date of manufacture and the following code:
    D=BT-99
    The serial number began with 1000 for each year.
    Example: 0001D69 = A 1969 BT-99 shotgun with a serial number of 0001.
    D=BT-99
    1976-1995
    In 1976 Browning re-standardized its serial number identification. The BT-99 was discontinued in 1995.
    1. Serial Number
    beginning with 01001
    at the start of each year.

2. Date of Manufacture
    is a two digit code
    Z=1
    Y=2
    X=3
    W=4
    V=5
    T=6
    R=7
    P=8
    N=9
    M=0
    3. BT-99 Type
    149=BT-99 Type
    Serial
    Number Example:
    01001RT149
    This would be an BT-99 shotgun, manufactured in 1976 with the serial number 01001.

Steve Balistreri

10. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Senior Smoke -- that's quite the history...and very useful to know...Thanks!

11. GGPOST

GGPOST Member

My wife shoots an RT and I shoot an RR BT-99 and we love them both. We have pattered both guns to shoot the same. I enjoy the fact I do not have to shoot over the top of a rising target to hit it. On days with wind in my face, I put the bead right on the target and it's dust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt 99 stalks for sale