1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Shooting Gun and Your Average

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MikeInNPR, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

As a regular at the Silver Dollar I have the pleasure to browse thru some of the latest and greatest guns in the Trap game. That being said, I see quite a few of the top shooters shooting guns with 80-100, even higher POI guns. I tried shooting a gun the other day that was nearly 100% high and of course I missed a few. But all in all, how have some of you faired by making a switch to a higher POI gun. How long did it take you and how did you averages look before the switch vs after.

Thanks for the input.

2. dimapower

dimapower Member

Only been shooting since July of 09, so take this data FWIW. Shot 70/30 initially - performed well from the 16, struggled at handicap. Moved to a 100/0 pattern in November. While I struggled for a couple of weeks, my avg has since improved by 2ish/round. While this may just be improvement due to time/experience, the real noticeable improvement is at handicap distances (e.g., ran them from the 27 last Friday).

3. KRK32

KRK32 Member

For me its not how high it shoots its a matter of if it shoots where you look everytime my friends try my gun they say it shoots higher than a kite. I dont realize it because it shoots where i look. Kirk

4. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

My gun shoots 3 inches high on the pattern board , at 13 yds.

Does anyone know what % this will reflect to at 35-40 yds...

All I know is that I am struggleing at keeping the barrel low enough for clean breaks...

This has happened since I packed on 50 pounds , as I used to have no problem in smoke before that..

My comb is as low as it will go without shaving off wood..

Thoughts would be appreciated..

Robert

( Newfoundlander )

5. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

6. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Newfoundlander, since you stated, my stock is as low as it will go. Send the stock to an adjustable comb installer and simply have them take put a cut on the underside to remove wood so it will sit lower. Or shave some wood. But, don't fight it.....

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

For me, there was a learning curve. but I cannot allocate how much was due from the change to a high rib vs the higher POI I also seemed to "need".

2008 average - K-80 Standard (shootng 65% high) 94.7

K-80 TS purchased fall of 2008 - Horrible scores for first 4 months. But then it "clicked".

2009 average - K-80 TS (shooting 90% high) 95.7

Last 1200 registerd K-80 TS (shooting 90% high) 97.2

I will continue to shoot with the setup I have. YMMV

Don Verna

8. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Newfoundlander:

I lived in Argentia for 4 years how do you shoot in that wind ?

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

Many of the accomplished shooters shoot high impacting guns up to 160% [24inches] and higher BUT one of the differences is that the average shooter moves his gun markedly UP before the target even appears , he moves on call, not when the target gets above the barrel. Next tome you shoot practice, have the puller not give you a target on your call, most of you will be amazed that the barrel moves up at least 6 inches and the target has not come out yet! This along with visually locking on a target quicker is another reason why the accomplished shooter needs the highrt inpacts. incinerate em!

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I guess that I have shot at too many targets with my flat shooting 80/20 POI to change anything now. Every time I raised the comb to get a higher POI my scores would go into the tank. Old Dog New Tricks type of problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.