1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High shooting BT-99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GGPOST, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GGPOST

GGPOST Member

I own a BT-99 with an RR in the ser# which I am told is a high shooter. I love the gun and probably will never part with it. I would like to know if a Grade III or a Golden Clays were made during this period of the 2 or 3 years when BT-99 "high shooters" were produced. Also, did any O/U Brownings follow the same path? Thanks

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I can't say positively but I don't think there was a grade 3 and I am positive there was not a Golden Clays.

3. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

The "RR" "RT" "RP" ect.,, all had the square "Competition" forearm and the same rib taper , which were somewhat higher shooters than the previous "beaver-tail" versions. But with beads stacked still about 65-35, for me. GR-3 & golden clays more like 60-40 , 55-45 ....., in my opinion the late 70's BT's with the competition forearm & fixed full choke were the best BT's of all time.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

According to a 1976 issue of American Shotgunner Magazine the then new BT99 Competition trap gun was designed to shoot 10 inches high at 40 yards. In production year 1978 the POI was lowered to be more friendly (my wording) to the average non 27 yard shooter.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Hoosier I think you're right, but didn't they make a Pigeon Grade with deep engraving, high polish blue, grade 3 wood, in the same time frame? Very nice guns.

Wayne

6. GGPOST

GGPOST Member

My RR BT99 is 34" fixed full choke. I absolutely love it. I'd like to find a grade 3 that shoots the same with the full forearm. My spouse shoots a RT BT99 32" with choke tubes and is ported, mine is not. I've picked her gun up with a 1.5" shorter LOP and ran 25 straight. Love the way they both shoot and actually, I like the 32" barrel better that the 34" at the 16 yd line. I had the opportunity to buy a 32" barrel and screwed up and missed it.

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Yes wayneo, the Pigeon grade was a very pretty BT and still brings a good price today. I had a two barrel BT set with RR serial numbers. A 32" Modified and a 34" full that both very high. Too high for my tastes at that time.

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I now have a BT99 two barrel set that has an RP in the serial number. The advertisement from Browning for this RP says it is a BT99 Competition and shoots 9" high at 40 yards. It was made in 1978.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Hoosier Daddy, How does Browning get the "9" high at 40 yards" ? Is that with a figure 8 sight picture or sighted flat down the rib?

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Call Browning. Not to be smart but I wasn't there when they tested it and I am merely quoting their advertisement from 1978.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bt99 competition trap
browning bt99 high shooter
bt 99 high shooter
bt99 high shooter

high shooter bt99

high shooting bt 99
shooting trap with the bt 99

shooting videos bt-99