1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High School Trapshooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by C Kant, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C Kant

C Kant TS Member

We are looking to relocate as our son is starting high school this next year. Thinking about relocating where trapshooting is being offered as a school sport, any suggestions? Not too crazy about big cities, more country style living.

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

will your son need access to an olympic bunker or just trap?
    i know this might seem crazy but roseville and auburn california have high school sctp and they also shoot over at coon creek where they have access to a bunker/skeet/trap/sporting clays.

3. C Kant

C Kant TS Member

He will need access to both ideally. He has tried olympic bunker, but is very active at this time in ATA and SCTP. Our closest bunker is 8 hours away.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Nebraska.

They just had the Nebraska State High School Trap Shoot last weekend, and there were over 1700 participants.

That's what I call a State with a high school shooting program.

5. C Kant

C Kant TS Member

We could do Nebraska - any suggestions where I could get the information on different schools and their programs.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Try this link. http://marian.creighton.edu/~besser/trap/links.html

Its from a guy who posts here under the name tachyon.

He is a high school teacher and coach of his high school's trap team (its an all girls school.)

There are several links to other local high schools and the eastern Nebraska trap shooting conference.

Good luck,

Tim

7. djcuda

djcuda Member

Here is a link to the ectc website.It shows all of the schools and coaches that participate.www.shootectc.org any other questions just e-mail me.
    Dave

8. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Timb99

Thanks for the vote of confidence.. Aren't you from Kansas? Nebraska does have a Great High School Trapshooting following. Some GREAT shooters and scores last week even in terrible weather.

Dale

9. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

Omaha:

Creighton Prep:
    http://www.bluejaytrap.com

Papillion High School:
    http://www.plvtrap.org

Skutt High S chool
    http://www.geocities.com/skyhawktrap/

Trapshooting Conference - Eastern Nebraska (Omaha/Lincoln area)
    http://www.shootectc.org

Lots more, just google: high school trapshooting nebraska

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Nebraska offer many advantages to what I read in the first post from C Kant. We had 1800+ kids at our state shoot like mentioned here by the other posters. Many small town kids kick the big city kids butts when you hand them a shotgun. Girls are good shooters and they are easy on the eyes too! If you want to live in a smaller community, you can have 1-5 acres, a ranch house, and a tractor if you want. Hunting and fishing are plentiful and we have many little clubs around that you can train with. Many of my friends in the smaller towns have a flinger on a cart in the barn and just roll it out and shoot 50-100 per night. From my shopping on the internet, we have low component cost if you want to reload your own shells. From Nebraska, you can be in MO, KS, IA, SD, CO, or Colorado Springs in a few hours. Major cities are spaced accross the state a few hours apart for major shopping trips. Crime is low and we now have CCW. Our state results are posted at http://www.shootnta.org and if you look at many of the winners, you will see that many of them are hard to locate on a map. P.S. The internet runs everywhere here so you can always find TS.com and gunbroker.com for entertainment. IMHO NO, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce.

11. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

If you like the country side and the south then try Tenessee. Its in every school there. They have some great shooters there as well. Pull up the winning teams from last years Grand Nations and have a look. I now live in Ky.. We are trying to get it in our school system as well. But we do have a great program going on here in N. Ky.. Right now we have about 55 kids on our team and its a great place to live....Tim

12. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

If you like the country side and the south then try Tenessee. Its in every school there. They have some great shooters there as well. Pull up the winning teams from last years Grand Nations and have a look. I now live in Ky.. We are trying to get it in our school system as well. But we do have a great program going on here in N. Ky.. Right now we have about 55 kids on our team and its a great place to live....Tim

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Anyone know of High Schools in the Chicago area with trap or skeet teams? If I can find one, the administration of the High School I teach at would get behind my starting one.

14. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Bruce, There used to be a big trap following in the Frankfort area. My uncle shot there until he died. The location might have moved since they are developing that area now but his son in laws still shoot on a regular basis. I found all this out at the funeral. If you want me to check it out, I can send some emails. Most teams can always use another set of eyes and if they are experienced, then even better.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Dale Z,

Yes, I have lived in Kansas since 1983.

However, I was born and raised in Omaha, and graduated from UNL in 1983.

Still a Husker!

Tim

16. dwmiller

dwmiller TS Member

As one of the trap coaches of a Nebraska School, and a parent of three daughters two of who shoot. You can'nt go wrong coming to this state if your son is interested in trap shooting. The compitition level is second to none. Look at the Grands SCTP history and see how many Nebraska schools finish in the top ten of all the divisions. And see how many have won it the last several years. Nebraska is always in the hunt. Good luck and welcome.

Doug Miller
    Omaha Ne.

17. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Just my 2 cents, We recently (last year) dumped the "Big City" life to move to the Branson, MO area. What a blessing! I came for the fishing and golf but after we arrived my son came home and told us he wanted to join the Trap team. I knew nothing about this sport having only hunted pheasant in my youth.

Well, a year later I am now assisting with the team and running the web site, I am also heading up the booster club for the team. Still find time to fish and play golf, as well as enjoy many of this areas other attractions it’s known for.

The team is very competitive, the Jr High won several State titles last year as well as the inaugural Sparta shoot in July with a 903. The High school took fourth at the grand with a 971 (2nd top 5 in a row). We have instituted a Letter program this year as well.

You can email me through the web site if you have questions.

Tad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ky high school trap shooting

plvtrap