1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High School Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by psfive, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psfive

psfive Member

Saturday the 12th is the first (of seven) weeks of High School Conference Trap in central Nebraska. Seven very highly anticipated spring Saturdays in Nebraska every year. Wishing them all a bunch of powdered rocks. My son included. Paul in Nebraska.

2. cotrshooter

cotrshooter Member

Wish them the best. How did they get it started? We need more of this kind of thing going on.

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Paul, where do they shoot? Doniphan, Crooked Creek or elsewhere? I assume at Doniphan beings they are starting a week early. Is that right?

Steve Elliott

4. psfive

psfive Member

I think this year will be the 42nd anniversary of the Nebraska State High School Trap Shoot. As always in Doniphan NE. It has been going on a long time. This year it will be held on April 28th, 29th and 30th. Last year Jr. and Sr. High entries totaled 1,790+/- shooters over three days. It is quite impressive to see all those kids and guns and no problems. The link to the last years info is posted above. Paul in Nebraska.

5. psfive

psfive Member

The conference that my son shoots in is in Doniphan. There are many teams that shoot all over the state prior to the state shoot. Paul in Nebraska

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

we live in rock port mo- and sign on with the falls city hischool team (S.E. conferance) we have done this for 5 years--yes its a lot of work but i agree, what a great time!! this past weekend, we shot in nebraska city--our team took first place , nick howell took the boys 16yd-hdcp& HOA and my duaghter ,tabor came home with womans 16yd & HOA--the neb national hischool shoot held in donphan ne. this year at the end of april -is the BEST shoot in the nation!! i cant say enough about this well run-kid oriented-friendly event--WE LOVE IT!!! thanks to all the conservation dept employees and many many volunteers!! wally riebesell rock port mo ----
    -pictured is-
    tyler young,danial liess,adam liess,nick howell, tabor riebesell

7. lance howard

lance howard Member

It warms my heart to read about events like High School Trap Shooting. I cannot imagine how much enjoyment the kids and the parents and coach,s get from these events but it must be huge. In Sonoma County, Calif. High school trapshooting would be a felony I think. Anyway, we have not had a local club here since October of 1980 that was available to all comers and not just for members. We do have 4H Junior trap leagues 60 miles north of here in Mendocino County which is where I have to go to participate. My hats off to you. If I had the chance I would come and watch the shoots. Keep it going. Lance Howard

8. psfive

psfive Member

psfive_2008_030320.jpg

If you have never seen the Annual Cornhusker National Jr/Sr High School Shoot. You can not imagine what you are missing. I have posted two pics one looking West and one looking East from near the center of the range. Enjoy> Paul in Nebraska.

9. psfive

psfive Member

Sorry some how I missed this one. This is looking East. The one above is looking West. Paul in Nebraska.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's good to see high school trap team shooting is alive and well in various parts of the country.

Years ago I tried to get an intramural trap league going in our area. Many, many teachers were all for it.

Without exception, administration approval was non-existant. Not one administrator would step up and allow it to be done in an official capacity.

A few were open to "On your own time, not really a school activity" approval which meant nothing. Political correctness won out that time.

The South part of Wisconsin, however has a lot of HS team shooting with a Championship shoot and great attendance.

Poorly reported by the media of course.

HM

11. mako72401

mako72401 Member

I am the head coach for the Brookland Bearcats Trap Team (where I also teach high school science). We have 40 students in grades 6-12. Junior division is 6-8 grade and seinor division is 9-12 grade. There are about 6000 students statewide here in arkansas in the program. We have 12 girls on the team this year, 5 of them are in 6th grade. Thats them in the first photo below.

We are an actual school sport/activity at our school, although others in the state program are club teams. But all compete together. We are a smaller school (about 1000 students k-12)so having 40 active shooters is a pretty good percentage for our school size. We are COMPLETLY self funded. Everything we have is from fundraisers, donations, and sponsorships, including our 2 house field with pavilion, office, concessions, and bathroom. Photos below are from our first match against another local team this past saturday.

mako72401_2008_19111.jpg

mako72401_2008_19112.jpg

12. epmn

epmn TS Member

It is starting to take off pretty well here in Minnesota. Some of the schools have been shooting for a few years, but most are a pretty recent addition. I am working with a couple of others to get the Eden Prairie trap team going for this season. There isn't any direct help from the school, but they didn't tell us no either. We did get a flyer up in the high school and generated some interest from it, but most of it has been word of mouth. If this season is successful I hope to see more students next year.

One of the members from a club I belong to has done an outstanding job of getting this off of the ground in this state. He and a small group started the Minnesota State High School Clay Target League, www.mnclaytarget.com, a few years ago and the schools are signing up under it.

epmn

13. acss

here also in NW missouri, ffa chapters compete monthly during the school year-it is an activity that reaches out to students and chapter members who arent in the mainstream sports!-- lynn gipson/ KCTA smithvile mo. holds these events which brings 12-15 schools together. this all started with 3 ffa instuctors getting their students to shoot in a lil friendly summer gathering and it went from there!! here is my duaghter tabor after an ffa january shootoff-she finally beat this smithville ffa member after 4 years--spencer, we're gonna miss all of you seniors!!!!!!!!
    acss_2008_030332.jpg

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Now i know where all the 870's are going!...good to see them getting put to work with a worthy group of youngsters

15. dalog

dalog Member

Is it just me or does the photo's of the kids standing their pumps and semi's on the foam pads concern you too?

I was at the Arkansas State shoot several years ago and saw one youth group there promoting this with their kids, many were so short that the stock was next to their ear when standing the gun on the muzzle. I cringed but hoped it was an isolated incident. I was just waiting for a range official to step in but didn't see it happen.

I guess I understand that when a gun is broke open, even if there IS a shell in it it ain't going to go BOOM, but . . . . And before you start, I work with youth teams enough to know that no matter how much you teach and stress safety, you still gotta watch for a kid with the action closed and more likely, putting one in the chamber after their 5th shell on the post and then not taking it out to move to the next station.

One of the best parts of our sport is it's safety record and this is even more critical in the youth portion for obvious reasons. I guess I am nervous about this practice as I see it as tempting fate, and you can't put the Gennie back in the bottle.

16. acss

march 26 -neb. SE conferance shoot-beatrice ne.--35degrees 20-30mph winds & snow - a well run shoot w/ over 200 youth-thanks to all the volunteers!! our team member nick howell ran the 16yd 50 straight-my duaghter tabor shot a 46 and took the girls 16yd & HOA woman--here are some pictures- nicks cheering section "loyal frozen family members"!!!-i'm gonna be cold for a week after that shoot--- wally riebesell
    acss_2008_030344.jpg

acss_2008_030345.jpg

acss_2008_030346.jpg

17. bt994ever

bt994ever TS Member

See, in TN, we have a program that the state lets us do trap but for some reason, Mississippi won't let the schools down there have any trap teams that are attached to the school, so they have shooting clubs with High-Schoolers in them.

18. tachyon

tachyon Member

The Eastern Cornhusker Trapshooting Conference in Nebraska will have its fourth shoot this weekend. This year there are 1,220 shooters in the league. The pictures Wally posted from the South division (SE) were pretty much replicated at Bellevue Rod and Gun with about 500 shooters and Lincoln Ikes with about 400 shooters last weekend. Snow and wind everywhere.

The Mid Nebraska Trapshooting Conference has about 400 students shooting in its league. This all culminates the last week in April with the Cornhusker Nationals which should see more than 1,800 shooters this year.

I teach physics and have 32 girls shooting this year for Marian (an all girls school). 16 of these are new shooters who had no experience in trap before this fall. I am sure that my experience is not unique as most of the coaches work with a lot of new competitors each year from "non shooting" families.

19. Mykidstrap

Mykidstrap TS Member

Mako,
    This is awesome! I'm an assistant coach for the North Pulaski High School team, this is our second year and we likewise are ate up with it. I wish we were more Rural and had funding. We totally rely on Game n Fish or Remington Arms. Maybe I'll run into on the fields.

20. psfive

psfive Member

This last Saturday our conference shot (MNTC @ Doniphan NE) in the 32 degree temps, snow and gusty cold East wind. This Saturday is forecast to be 65 and little wind. What a change. Like they say it's Nebraska you don't like the the weather wait 5 seconds. Looking forward to a great day. Paul in Nebraska.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crooked creek high school trap conference

eden prairie high school trap team

eden prairie school trap shooting

eden prairie trap team

high school trap

high school trap shoot school agreements
highschool trap
wta high school conferance shoot