1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Ribs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Guy, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Guy

Browning Guy TS Member

What would putting a high rib on your gun do? What about different heights?

2. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

It usually means you have to also raise your comb. Steve

3. Browning Guy

Browning Guy TS Member

So does that mean that it raises your POI??? Would they help with doubles???

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Raising the height of the rib, without a corresponding increase in comb height, would lower the POI of the gun. Generally, to maintain the same POI, you have to raise the comb the same distance as the added rib height. One of the main reasons for a higher rib is so that the shooter can keep his/her head more erect. This often helps in being able to better see the target, see it more quickly and better judge target angles. Also, with a higher rib, the barrel does not obstruct the target as much and is less distracting. However, this last is very subjective (it is the main reason for unsingle barrels, in addition to helping reduce perceived recoil) and some shooters have difficulty in adapting or using such a rib arrangement. Best advice I can give, is to get a piece of balsa wood of the right thickness, cut it to height (say 1/2 or
    3/8 in, temporarily tape it to the gun and try it out. If it works for you, then can get an add on rib made for you by someone like Vicki Keen of Keen Sights or other. Jim R

5. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I have been shooting high ribs for so long now, when I pick up a gun without one, I feel like I have to scrunch down on it to shoot it. I like the high rib. Steve

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

The high ribs serve 2 purposes. They allow the shooter to keep his head erect while shooting which eliminates some the strain on the rear neck muscle over extended shooting (one of the reasons you easily raise your head while shooting). A high rib/erect head helps prevent rolling your swing (canting the barrel) on hard rights/lefts depending on your dominance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.