1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

High Ribs - are they going to become the standard?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ColtM1911A1, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

That's my question - is the standard USA trap gun going to sport an adjustable high rib in the future? Will mid or low ribs be designated for field guns instead of the trap fields.

Always look forward to your opinions; there's a lot of knowledge floating around out there....
  2. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Active Member

From what I see at the range they are. Bulge.
  3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Yes...until...all the big guns win with lower ribs <grin>. IMO...high ribs will be the standard gun for the foreseeable future and thats a good thing. That said....the ridiculously high, suspension bridge type ribs are rarely seen anymore....thank goodness.

My moderately high ribbed unsingle suits me just fine.
  4. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Mark425, are you talking about the Olympic height ribs such as offered on the Ljutic or the P&K guns?
  5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

I know some guy name Leo something-or-other doesn't use one, and he's a
    pretty good shooter.
  6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Active Member

Just my two cents,

Being a manufacturer I see the trend to the higher rib being the normal. I do not see the super high ribs becoming a standard though. We have been doing more and more barrels for sporting clays and skeet and all of those disiplines are seeing the advantage of the heads up position. Think about driving a car with our head tilted down or greet somwone with our eyes rolled to the top of the sockets. It is just not a natural position for the eyes to be in. Today I even hunt with a high rib as I can no longer shoot with my head buried behind the receiver,I want to look at what I am shooting at with as much clarity as possible and my belief is the haed has to be up to do that.

Dennis DeVault
  7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Active Member

I believe adjustable ribs will be the standard in the future.
  8. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Not in my future, which is short. Had an "Olympic High Rib" in 1978. I shot it at Bristol Fish and Game and sold it one month later. Never shot one since. Shoot my Dad's Model 12 and my 870 Comp.

Harry
  9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I think the high rib are hear to stay.
  10. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I could not imagine shooting a flat rib gun in competition. My current gun has an adjustable high rib and all future guns I use for trap will also have adjustable high ribs.
  11. goose2

goose2 Active Member

High as I can get it for me.
  12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Just to stir the pot a little, do you know what a high rib is? For example, this is not a high rib gun:
    trapgun.jpg

This is a high rib gun:

[​IMG]

See the difference?
  13. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Active Member

If I understand, the recurring theme in this thread is that for a gun to fit you so that you can shoot with an upright head, it has to have a high rib. Please say it is not true. I have too much invested in guns I shoot well that do not have a high rib, but alas, they must not fit me properly because they do not have the high ribs.

I feel that the most important factor in proper upright head position stems from proper stock fit. Lets say you took a high rib gun that positioned your head upright. You then installed a rib that was 1/2 inch lower and at the same time refitted the stock so that all dimensions were 1/2 inch lower to match the sight picture out over the rib. Seems to me that your head would still be in the same upright position. (???) Of course the receiver would be 1/2 inch higher in you sight picture.

And now we come to those of us that are forced to shoot one eyed. Since most one eyed shooters find it necessary to hold at the top of the house when calling so as to get the earliest view of the bird, looking around the receiver or barrel bucomes a moot point as we are always looking over the top of the barrel/rib/receiver. Does a higher rib make a difference to the "one eyed"?

I personally have Ljutic Mono Guns with the standard low rib and a Ljutic Pro 3 with the rib being near 3/4 inch high (.700"). Being forced to shoot one eyed I find I like the longer single plane (non stepped) standard rib of the Mono Guns. One eyed with my low hold point I find no need for the more exotic look of the high ribs. I do admit I like the overall appearance of a gun with a properly done high rib. And I shoot my high rib gun well, not because of the high rib but because the stock fits me well.

Sure would be nice to be able to shoot without always overthinking things. Marc
  14. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Active Member

To luvtrapguns,

No you do not have to have a high rib to shoot in a heads up position, but the question asked was are the high rib guns here to stay and in my opioion the answer to the question is yes, They are not a fad but a very valid soultion along with proper fit for alot of shooters.

Dennis
  15. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Active Member

Dennis, I agree that they are here to stay, and I have no bones to pick about high ribs. I just felt from the responses that many may feel a high rib was necessary for an upright position. I have long admired the high rib guns you produce but here again, proper fit is of the utmost importance. Thanks, Marc
  16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

If you need a higher rib to get an upright head, you'll also need a higher comb.
  17. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

Remember when everyone just had to have ported barrels? Now it's hard to sell a ported guns. High ribs are the same sort of fad.
  18. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Active Member

the lemings current favorite! I can't wait to see what's next.
  19. dead on 4

dead on 4 Active Member

Were back to the same old thing, What works for me won't work for you and visa versa. I have a friend who has a TM-1 (flat rib) that comes into him with his head straight up and eyes straight ahead. Most guns he picks up are to high for him. Most guns I pick up are to low for me, when I say low, I'm looking at the tang lever, can't come close to seeing rib. My build, 5'-8' barrel chest, no neck, full face, cheek bone high and eye socket low, a good Irish build. I'm not the skinny long necked shooter who is looking to keep his head up and needs a high rib. Now what gun do you think works best for me a flat rib, no a high rib. the lowest rib I do well with is a TMX, any lower and I wash out. The two guns I shoot best are a Guerini unsingle and Perazzi with an add on rib, by the way, I'm a one eyed shoter. When you talk gun fit, these are what fit me best.

Are high rib guns here to stay, yes as long as they fullfill a need they will be part of the shooting scene. High rib guns have been around for a long while
    and work well for a number of shooters and not well for others but that doesn't mean they're a gimmick, it just means they're not for every one.

I'm not a competition shooter, I mainly shoot pots shoots. That said, competition shooters who are striving to improve will use any little improvement to gain a better score, they would be stupid not to. So high ribs, back boared barrels, reworked chokes, adjustable ribs, combs and pads are all valid in the quest to break more targets and be more competitive.

Surfer
  20. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Well said, Surfer. You are rock solid with your observation, and the reason competitive shooters train and not practice. Again, well said (see below)....

I'm not a competition shooter, I mainly shoot pots shoots. That said, competition shooters who are striving to improve will use any little improvement to gain a better score, they would be stupid not to. So high ribs, back boared barrels, reworked chokes, adjustable ribs, combs and pads are all valid in the quest to break more targets and be more competitive.

Surfer
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.