1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HIgh Rib Trap Guns Adjustments?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

A high rib will allow you to hold your head is a more upright natural position. High ribs are most beneficial to shooters with long necks. I assume the gun hold part of your question refers to how high/low you hole the gun over the house. A high rib should not change that unless you are a very precise shooter. If you are, and you add 1/4 inch to the rib height, then you should hold the gun 1/4 inch lower and your POI should be about 3/4 of an inch lower at 30 yards.

Pat Ireland

2. soundaround

soundaround Member

Perazzi and Krieghoff both suggest that the lower you place the rib at the business end of the barrel the higher the POI will be and vice versa. This would make sense in that by lowering the rib in the front you would naturally pull the barrel higher to touch the target.

There are those that don't subscribe to this theory as much as they do comb adjustment for fit. These aficionados suggest setting your fit and POI by adjusting the comb only (either by patterning or shooting targets locked on straightaways on station three) then adjusting the rib to fit the sight picture you wish to use.

In either case, you have to keep in mind that any POI is dependent on the relationship of the head (and eye) height at the stock/comb to the end of the barrel. Without appreciating that fact I found it was hard to learn much by just playing around with rib height

The point made by P. Ireland about a more natural, comfortable and upright head position for those shooting a high rib is true for me and my long neck. But that is only true for me, though, with my comb set about an inch or more higher than standard stock height to get where I need to be on the higher rib.

Hope this helps

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If Harlen, Ricky and Kiner need that high rib for their necks, I need one the size of a ladder!

4. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

The higher ribs just look bad ass!

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I hold my high rib gun the same as a low rib gun. As long as it feel comfortable shoot it.

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Not sure what you guys are refering too. Long neck? These new high rib/high comb trap guns are requiring more stock off-set because the cheek placement has changed. Before the cheek rested on top of the comb, now with these guns, shooters are resting their cheek on the side of the comb. Which BTW is changing the wood blanks sizes to match. Krieghofff for example is requiring a blank to be minumum 8" high and 2 3/4" to 3" thick to handle this new style of shooting. As far as gun hold on the house. No change. And I agree with setting up on station three and shoot and adjust, shoot and adjust for soot balls. That process takes two people, one to shoot the gun and one to watch for canting and reading to breaks. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
high rib comb adjustment
how do you adjust a high rib on a remmington shotgun

how to adjust rib on trap gun

how to make a wooden high rib for shotgun forum

rib adjustment on trap gun
setting up comb on high rib gun
shooting high rib trap gun
top trap guns with high wood and comb