1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

High rib to low rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Active Member

I have a Perazzi MT-6 with a high rib. (3/4" from the top of the top barrel to the top of the rib). I would prefer this rib to be lowered to approximately 3/8". (I would like to use it for sporting clays). I bought the gun used and the previous owner does not know what type of rib is on it. It almost looks like a Moneymaker but there are no markings on the rib. (It is a very nice looking rib). I wouldn't think the MT-6 came from the factory with this high of a rib. My question is could this rib be removed, have the posts milled down and re-installed? Seems this would be much cheaper than scrapping the rib and replacing it with a new one. Thanks in advance for any advice you can forward me. Ed
  2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Active Member

This is the rib.

[​IMG]
  3. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Send the pic and your comments to Simmons...they do a lot of excellent rib work.

WNCRob
  4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

The newest sporting clays guns from Krieghoff, Kolar, Blaser, and
    Cesar Guerini have ribs as high as your MT-6. What is the POA of your gun at the lowest comb setting. It may be perfect for sporting clays the way it is. I believe nearly all the top competition shooters have a POA of at least 60-40- practically no one uses 50-50.
  5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Active Member

To be honest I have only used the gun for a few rounds of trap. Maybe I should give it a try. It just seems the high rib would be difficult to shoot sporting clays with. Presently I am using my Beretta 682 trap gun and my SuperX-1 trap gun for sporting clays. Both have much lower ribs of course. Maybe, I need to give the high rib a chance. I just don't see any high ribs like this at the sporting clays club I go to. Most use Browning and Beretta Sporting Clays guns. Although there are some Kolars and Krieghoffs; they just don't seem to have this high rib. I suppose it means little if the POI isn't 70-30 or higher. I am guilty of not taken the time to pattern the gun. I've only shot maybe 1 flat through it. It just feels so weird with that high of a rib on an over/under. I do have an unsingle for my Beretta; but even that does not seem as high as this. Thanks. Ed
  6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Active Member

What a terrible thing to do to a nice gun
  7. dverna

dverna TS Member

A high rib DOES NOT change the POI. Put it on paper.

Dickgtax is correct about the new SC guns coming out with higher ribs. You get a better view of the bird and more erect head position. Try it! Shoot at least 1000 rounds before deciding to alter it. You may regret changing it.

Don Verna
  8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Active Member

Joe: I have certainly not made a decision to alter the gun at this point. If the rib was original to the gun; I would certainly not contemplate it. However, it appears the rib is not factory. What I would like to do, (if possible and if I decide to), is to bring the rib back to something close to a factory rib. Whoever did this rib,did a very professional job. If I can have someone like Simmons or Moneymaker or one of our very competent gunsmiths on this site, (Phil Crenwelge, Doug Braker, etc), lower this rib 3/8" I might be swayed to do it. However, I still haven't come near a decision. If it weren't for having the gun converted to double release triggers; I might consider selling it and buying a true sporting clays gun. (I have too much in it due to the triggers). But who knows? This gun might work fine for sporting clays; only time will tell. Don and dickgtax; I hear what you are saying. I won't make any hasty decisions. It's just that this high rib on the over/under seems weird to me. But again, I haven't shot the gun very much either. Thanks. Ed
  9. buster45

buster45 Member

Jon Kruger is one of the best He shot a De Vault before Kreighoff came with a high rib sporting gun.Gebben Miles also shoots a high rib Kreighoff super sport. It is the flavor of the month at this time.Give it a try before spending your money.The mt 6 is a great shotgun.

Buster
  10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Active Member

Thanks Buster: I intend to do just that. I took the MT-6 out to the club today and broke 75x75 in trap. Maybe I should just use it for trap and forget about sporting clays. (But I'm still going to give it a try at sporting clays). :) Thanks Ed
  11. den1100

den1100 TS Member

It's a trap gun put out by Perazzi for the 1976 Olympics. Use it for trap and buy a sporting clays gun, like an 1100 Comp. Worth lots if it has rings on it. Don't cut it up... 75x75, you already know your own answer...
  12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

It was put out to commemorate the 1976 Olympics. It was never used there.
  13. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Ed, I am assuming you have an adjustable comb with a few washers to see over the rib you have on the gun. If so just take one or two washers out and try it on skeet/sporting clays. It works for me. Jim W.
  14. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

While the trend towards "high ribs" began in Trap, it is gradually spreading to Sporting Clays, and even seen being used by some in Skeet today. This is because, for many of us, the high rib provides a more "heads up" shooting posture, as well as providing a less cluttered "sight picture" of the target. It is true that some (a minority I think) cannot shoot a high rib gun well (for a number of reasons), but this obviously is not the case for you (as witnessed by your trap scores with this gun). In fact, some makers, notably Caesar Guerini, are marketing "all around" target guns, and promoting the use of a single gun for all the shotgun sports (albeit some adjustment is often needed to move from one discipline to another). As a trap gun, you need to find out what the point of impact (POI) is, not the point of aim (POA). It likely is somewhere around 70-30 or greater as it it is set now. That may be a little high for Sporting Clays (and certainly would be for Skeet) although some are beginning to use a higher POI even in Clays. But if the POI is higher than 60-40 or 70-30, then (presuming the gun has an adjustable comb) all you need to do is remove one or two washers from the comb height in order to lower the POI to a more conventional 60-40 or even 50-50 for Clays and the gun should serve you very well in that capacity. Just make a note of how far (or how many washers were removed) the comb was lowered for Clays so you can raise it back again for Trap.

Jim R
  15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Active Member

Thanks for all of the input. I have an adjustable comb on the gun. Right now I am using 1/2" of spacers for trap.(4-washers on each post) It seems to shoot the way I want it with this setup. I intend on getting the POI on this and then take out 2 of the washers on each post which will only raise the comb 1/4". Then I can compare the POI for each of the setups. Lowering the comb 1/4" should have a substantial effect on the POI. Ed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.