1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Rib Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dkimbler, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkimbler

dkimbler TS Member

I have installed a new add on rib to my BT 99. The rib is 1" high. How will this shoot? Will it be high or low. I haven't had time to pattern. Will I need to raise the comb? If so, how much.

Thanks

David

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Assuming the new rib is "pitched" like the old one, or, if it just added on top of the old one, you will need to raise your comb about an inch as a minimum, though more is possible, depending on the pitch.

If either of the above conditions is not met, there is no answer to your question, but again, an inch-plus up is a place to start.

Remember, you are starting with a gun that shoots an inch lower and you will have to make a tiny correction for that too.

Neil

3. dkimbler

dkimbler TS Member

I have installed a new add on rib to my BT 99. The rib is 1" high. How will this shoot? Will it be high or low. I haven't had time to pattern. Will I need to raise the comb? If so, how much.

Thanks

David

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Assuming the new rib is "pitched" like the old one, or, if it just added on top of the old one, you will need to raise your comb about an inch as a minimum, though more is possible, depending on the pitch.

If either of the above conditions is not met, there is no answer to your question, but again, an inch-plus up is a place to start.

Remember, you are starting with a gun that shoots an inch lower and you will have to make a tiny correction for that too.

Neil

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What is the height of the rib at the front bead and at the rear of the rib. If the height is the same front and rear the POI will be the same as the old rib at target breaking distance. You will have to raise the comb to get the same sight picture as you had with the old rib. If the new rib is low in the front and high in the rear the POI will be higher than the old rib. HMB

6. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I made a substantial increase in my comb height (1.5") and while Neil is absolutely right, the gun should shoot lower, the 1.5" does not seem to appear at patterning or target breaking distances. Find some time and pattern the gun, but crank that comb up at least an inch. You may need to buy new posts for the comb, I did. Maybe I just somehow made a slight mental adjustment in my sight picture or the difference was so slight down range that it wasn't an issue.

Enjoy the new view from up there.

Dennis

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

When you say the "new rib is one inch high" we assume you mean that the add on portion is 1 inch in addition to whatever height the orginal rib was? If this is correct, then, as previously noted, you need to raise the comb by approximately 1 inch to account for the additional rib height. This will result in the POI being about the same as it was before you put on the add-on rib. This also assumes the add on rib is not tapered, and is the same height from back to front, of course. If by any chance the 1 inch is the height of the original rib plus the add on rib, then raise the comb by whatever the height of the add portion is.

Raising the comb by the same height as the add on portion of the rib will give you a starting point to set the POI. You may find it necessary to go a little lower or a little higher, depending on how you shoulder and cheek your gun with the new head up position the high rib provides.

Jim R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

high or low rib on bt99

how to get my bt-99 to shoot lower