1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High rib learning curve

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I made the switch to a higher rib combo and find I'm in an immediate slump the more I shoot it.The gun is shooting to the same POI as my other trap guns and shells are same old reloads that I've used for years. I will run post 3 -5 and get down on 1 and 2 and am lost. I think the more heads up shooting style has me shifting my weight to my back legs, causing me to come up and out of the gun as I swing to the left. I had the gun fit to me, and don't think there is a problem there. I shot 48x50 the first two round I shot it. I am really struggling on 1&2 . Although a quartering left off of two has always been a bird I have to take time to see correctly. Has anyone else had the same experience with the change over. Im hitting the bird hard on 3-5, and then the wheels fall off. I'm a two eyed, right handed shooter. Gun shoots 70/30 at moment. Any input is greatly appreciated. Brad.

2. DadPlus4

DadPlus4 Member

I recently struggled with the same problem (higher rib & higher POI from my prior gun).
    Problems went away as i moved my face a little bit further up (gettin' into the gun) and keeping the gun steady to allow the bird to pass the barrel.

3. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I don't think the High Rib's are for everyone. To me the advertizing is better than the product. Give me a Top Single standard rib over any of the High Teeter-Toter adjustable ones any-day.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Unsingle or top single? I had the unsingle and traded for a top single, big improvement. Bill Malcolm

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Best of both worlds a Ljutic top/mid single with a high rib.

6. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Had low rib unsingle 34/30 combo. Now max TA low profile rib 34/32. Shot old unsingle well. Maybe cross firing?

7. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

Top Single gets my vote. If I shoot a high rib gun, I tend to cross fire with
    it nearly every time and I am a two eyed shooter.

Sharing,
    Gunnerx

8. BudLight

BudLight Member

Just a thought, are you canting the gun?

9. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

I had the same problem as you until I lowered the gun hold on 1&2 to below the front edge of the house.

Ned

10. pakk

pakk Member

what do you guys mean by cross firing?

11. copey

copey Member

Play w ur hold height

12. RAU

RAU Member

bjk1972- Have you been holding a high gun? If so lowering on posts 1&2 could help. You are probably seeing the target much quicker with your left eye now. This would also make a cross fire that much easier to happen. Another thing that is easy to do when you see left targets quicker with your left eye(I'm assuming you are right handed shooter)is to lose contact with your gun. I think you may be shifting your eyes to the left and the gun is not staying with your eyes.

Another thing to try on post 2 is to hold closer to center of house. This will make it easier to correctly read that pesky 1/4 left angle.

If you are holding low(anything less than 1 foot above the house)the higher rib should make little to no difference. The only things that could be hurting you are POI not the same or you are canting the gun.

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My conventional rib MX-3 is more intuitive to point than the high rib TMX and I am more likely to crossfire with the TMX. You have to learn to look over the rib and shoot off the rib instead of the more normal sight picture you get with a conventional gun. I use a hooded fiber optic front bead and it seems to help. Incidently a normal rib Unsingle like the MX-15 or MX-14 looks just like an O/U to me.

14. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

i dont know about high rib guns and heads up shooting, there becomeing popular here in ozz but at our national just held last week we had a new record with four shooters on 1000 break in a shoot off it ended at 1038 and they all shot low rib guns with there weight forward and heads down!
    jonny

15. det131

det131 Member

bjk:

I have also been experimenting with a higher rib. Built one myself before I make the investment. Thus far has been a disapointment but haven't shot it enough to make the final judgement. I have been dropping five to eight more targets in a round as opposed to averaging 23 - 25. Last week I shot a twelve in a handicap round, some of that was 30+ wind but not enough. Worked with it yesterday and I hope I learned a few things.

First the cheek weld has to be different than before. With the higher rib my head is more upright, a good thing, but I tend to squeeze down into the weld I always used before. Still looks ok when calling for the bird but my head comes up off the stock to see the bird. The position of the recoil pad against the shoulder needs to be different than it was before, may need to go to an adjustable pad to get it to sit were it did before. Also noted was after the gun went off it was canted, didn't look that way when I started and moved to the target. Minor adjustments to my grip seemed to help that. Last two rounds were a 23 and 24 two of those lost targets were due to using my former head position and the other was due to my having my head up my butt and not seeing the target.

Obviously there is a learning curve and I need to re-learn some muscle memory to the new set up. I do seem to be able to pick the bird up faster which I like. Need to be deliberate in my set up and mount until it becomes a habit and after a thousand targets I should have it down. I am smoking them when I get it right, that's a good thing. The down side is if I decide to go back to the lower rib I will probably have to start the learning curve all over again. Damn, I better go out and buy more bullets.

Jim

16. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

Just to say, I've never seen anyone (including myself) shoot well without their heads down, regardless of gun type. Just an observation....

Larry

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

With a real high rib gun you need a shorter LOP--

Phil Berkowitz

18. det131

det131 Member

Larry:

That was my point.

Phil:

Also considered that. I have spacers on the stock now. I have long arms and find a long LOP more comfortable. That will be my next experiment. Trying not to do too much at once less I screw everything up.

Jim

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Comfort is important, but eye to end of barrel is what counts. Also does your gun really fit you?

With a high rib all the old factors have been changed.

Phil Berkowitz

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

It's probably because you are used to seeing the barrel in relation to the target whether you are aware of it or not. It isn't there anymore. Keep your eye on the target and you will eventually get used to the new setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.